Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recent Compass finds,

Paul (Ca)

Hello Forum friends,

Most of the Californians know I still use the older detectors for special hunting conditions, Compass has always been one of my favorite detectors for cleaning up the mess from iron laced sites other hunters leave behind. In this case, The Explorers including my own had pounded this site until not even a whisper could be heard.

After the Explorers "including my own" cleaned up most of the easy targets, What was left were the coins and relics buried under a layer of square nails. It took the Compass Coin Scanner Pro II, the Compass 77B and Compass 77 Auto Legend to recover cobs of finds many considered cleaned out.

My friends were amazed with the finds I was easily pulling out, Even though each Compass detector was pulling out more than it's share of square nails, every once in a while a seated coin or nice relic would surface making the extra effort worth while.

After a couple of days with the Explorer, switched to the Coin Scanner Pro II and started to pull out more relics and then a seated dime, Continued on pulling out more relics and old coins. When the site appeared to have exhausted all of its targets with using the Coin Scanner Pro, I then switched to the Compass 77B and Legend 100 kHz detectors and started to pull out more coins and relics including an Eagle sword waist plate, US Regulation.

Pictured below are recent finds the past couple of weeks, Everyone did well at this old site but my take surpassed all the others using the Explorer. The only coin in the picture recovered by my Explorer is the Walking Liberty half, The Compass detectors recovered the rest,

1851-1864 Eagle sword waist plate, US Regulation,
1861 seated dime,
1864S seated quarter, only 20,000 minted. Very rare.
1870 seated half dollar,
1871 seated dime,
1871 seated dime, another one both with no mint mark,
2 shield nickels,
2 Indian pennies "not pictured.

Thanks for looking,
Paul (Ca)

Paul
Those are some really great finds. Just go's to show ya, The older units can hold there own. I use several older units myself.
HH

Thanks Steve,

At first, The ratio of iron vs. good signals is less due to more of an abundance of good signals masked out by iron. At the beginning, would get about 5 to 10 smaller pieces of iron for each good conductor/coin with using the Compass. Then, as the good signals masked by iron were exhausted, the iron ratio was about 20 to 30 small pieces of iron per good conductor. If I continue to hunt the site, the ratio will should increase as high as 30 to 50 smaller pieces of iron per good target based from past sites of similarities.

This may appear to be a waste of time for most hunters but eventually a good relic or an old coin will surface which is the case with the finds above, Well worth the time and effort when a seated or an old relic appears :)

HH, Paul (Ca)

Thanks Halfdollar,

I use different types of older units for special hunting conditions, my Mark 1 for trashy park sites or school areas and the Compass for old sites laced with iron.

They are indeed outdated but still have an edge certain types of hunting conditions, Rarely do we use them but when the right site appears they sure can out do the top end detectors of today.

Thanks again, Paul

You can get supreme depth with an X-100 or X-200 using a 16" loop in the 1 filter or 2 filter modes. It scans so deeply, it is 'UNbelievaly' deep, yet the detector loop field is so narrow you will not believe the goodies it can pull out of trashed areas. No other Compass can touch it,OR FEW OTHER DETECTORS, plus they also have a TR Discriminate on the X-series.
---"LOADED FOR BEAR!"---
ONE CHARACTERISTIC YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF, it can give a meter deflection but no audio, and SOMETHING WILL BE THERE.
The difference between the two is the X-100 operates at 13.77kHz and you can switch between 2 or 4 filters. The X-200 gives you two choices, 1 filter or 3 filters, and two separate frequencies, one being around 6kHz, and the other around 14kHz. I dug silver dimes deeper than any other detector in the higher frequency . I belive the "high freq for low conductors, and a low freq for higher conductors is a lot of hype."
Forget any loop except the 16". PERIOD!

If you get the chance, go back to that site with the 16" loop on your Compass-for some reason see-thru with this loop is incredible.

We're still hitting the site, Still pulling out conductors but it's slim pickings for sure :)

Thanks again and good hunting,
Paul