Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recent encounter

markg

Had a couple hours yesterday so I thought I'd hit a county playground where I'd found some gold jewelry in the past. Headed out with my PI and a recently borrowed 5 x 9 folded mono coil to see what might come up.
You know, I never realized there could possibly be so many bobbie pins in the world. This machine has no difficulty locating these small metal objects. But with careful listening, the audio gives just enough hints so I became very close to 100% sure of what these targets were before digging.
Well anyway, on with the story. I'd been hunting about an hour when a young man carrying a back pack comes to where I was hunting and proceeds to ask if I'd found anything good. Reaching into my pouch I pulled out my very meager finds and a small silver pendant. Not much but I was enjoying the day none the less. The young man proceeded to open his back pack and removed several containers of silver, copper coins along with many old relics including some nice buttons and buckles. Some of these coins dated back to the 1800's. Looked like his entire treasure was in his back pack and in fact it was, he explained, when I leave the house I take them with me, fearing someone might break in and steal them. I had to ask how he had acquired so many coins and relics and he stated he too was a hunter and uses the Mine lab Etrac. Had to ask again and this time he answered mostly old home sites. I continued to ask where and his answer was I knock on doors and ask to detect and this is where most of his finds have come from. Amazing what this young man has found in the same counties where I have hunted for some 20 years. He seems to have done everything right to acquire that many old silver and copper coins and on top of that many gold rings to boot. Well we continued to talk and I had to ask if he belonged to any of the treasure forums on the internet and his answer was no. But he said I have a private Facebook group and invited me to join. The conversation continued for some 30 minutes or so exchanging hunting experiences and finds. The whole time thinking just how smart this guy was and what I stand to learn from him even though I had more than a decade of addition experience. The park was starting to get crowded so we decided to leave. What a chance meeting to talk to a fellow hunter in my area. That afternoon I checked my email and sure enough Shane had subscribed to my you tube site. So I requested to join his treasure hunting site on Facebook and he accepted and the journey begins.

That was a great story Mark! Lots of wisdom in there. Some of the best finds are not found under the coil. You nailed it!

His entire treasure in his backpack? That strikes me as quite odd...I'd be wary of this young man's wisdom.

marcomo said:
His entire treasure in his backpack? That strikes me as quite odd...I'd be wary of this young man's wisdom.

It strikes me as slightly odd as well but I had a similar experience last summer at the beach. A fellow detectorist came over and asked me what I had found. He took 2 or 3 plastic containers from a pack he had and showed me what he had found in the last weeks in the same area and elsewhere. He told me he had most of his good findings in his vehicle. Some people like to haul their stuff to show others I guess OR they just think it's safer to carry them around than to leave them home.

Great story nonetheless.