Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

rechargeable batteries

nomad

hello all-im fresh to the forum and metal detecting.i just bought a bh ultra mag thinking this might put some excitement in my life and have not even tested it yet. i live in the midwest and winter just keeps holding on so im waiting for the warmer weather to get here to try it out.in the manual it says to only use alkaline batteries it does'nt warn against using rechargeables.it takes the 9 volt batteries.does anyone have any experience using these in bounty hunters?will thet damage my unit?or should i just stick with the tried and true.thanks all-

I know that most 9v rechargeables are actually 8.4v. If you can find some 9v (NIMH) rechargeables, I would give it a shot. If they don't perform well, I'm sure you have something else they could be used in.

One think I know about rechargeables, they don't seem to last as long as alkalines. If you go out in the field for a full day of detecting with them, it might be wise to take along some alkalines as spares. Then again, if you put the alkalines in the detector up front, you probably won't need spares.
If you buy batteries at "can I say Costco?", you can like a "tow sack" full for cheap! Just stick with Coppertops and not "in house"..................

hello possum-can i ask what brand you use?if you look at the posting by mitto he says that output voltage for the 9 volt rechargeables is 8.4 volts so i dont know if that would give you a low battery reading or ?when you use them how much time do you usually get out of them before they run low?do you have Ni-cads or Ni-mhs?thanks

Alkalines last the longest...I have also used lithium AAA batts in my White's with great success (expensive though)...They last like 100 hours in my Classic SL-II...Rechargebles especially NiCads, have a lower voltage than alkalines, and drop off quick after a certain point...I use true 9V rechargeables....They seem to last a bit longer...Allbattery.com has some good ones...

HH,

I've got 2 different brands (both made in China) and they are Tenergy(250 mAh) and Powerizer(200 mAh) and are Nickle metal hydride. The Tenergy batterys are supposed to be for high drain uses and I got them mostly for my camera but they seem to work well in my detectors. Four hours is about the most I hunt and the batterys last at least that long. I try to recharge them before each hunt so I can't tell you how long they last. I've only gotten one low battery warning one time and I think that was due to failing to recharge before going hunting. Sorry I can't be more help. I only know it has been a long time since I bought 9 v batterys.

The starting voltage is lower on most rechargeables. 8.4 is about right for the NimH types. Ni-Cads are even lower. On my Time Ranger, they show Fair when charged, but typically last for a hunt or two. The 250 mAh batts would be the best bet. For comparison, good-quality Alkalines rate around 500 mAh.

http://www.goldmine-elec.com/ has been offering 150 mAh Nimh for awhile now at $1.50 each. I bought several at that price and found they work well enough for the price to suit me. I've also used them in pocket radios and other devices that use 9-volt cells with good results. They won't last as long as the 250 mAh varieties or Alkalines, but for the price, you can sure do some cheap experimenting.

-Ed

I also use the Tenergy and Powerizer brands...They work well enough for me, I hunted a straight 5 hours without ever turning the Land Star off once, and they were still OK...

HH,

I have only used 9v nimh rechargeable in my BH Landstar and usually get 6-8 hours. The key thing to remember when you purchase them is that they must be 8.4 or 9.6 voltage. The 7.2 voltage won't last very long.