Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rechargeable batteries

Novice Ron

Hello,
I am looking for good rechargeable batteries and a charger. I do have a charger and AA batteries but even after a full charge the voltage is only 1.35 volts. Good factory non- rechargeable batteries read 1.6 volts. Can I match the factory ones with rechargeable batteries. I detect a good bit and I need good batteries all the time. anyone have ideas ??? Please leave me know.
Novice Ron

Dude, I'm there with you. I hate the idea of a lot of batteries on the landfill, and since I have five kids, rechargeables are way more cost effective in most of our devices.

That being said, a lot of devices around the house, including the metal detectors that use AAs need more voltage than rechargeable AA batteries provide.

One solution is the Eneloop batteries, which hold a slightly higher voltage for longer than trypical rechargeables. They are expensive, but you really do get what you pay for in this case. I think I got 8 AAs and a charger with a couple AAAs for around $30 on [the big smiling box] online store.

The other workaround is to add a cell to your battery pack. Going from 8 rechargeables at 9.6 volts, to nine rechargeable cells at 10.8 makes most detectors much happier. I have an MXT, and the 9 cell conversion is pretty straightforward if you have basic soldering skills to attach another battery in series.

9 volt rechargeable batteries put out 9v, so detectors and pinpointers that use those are a drop in replacement and don't need any modifications at all. I run rechargeable 9v batteries in a Coinmaster and two pinpointers and they work fine on them.

Alkaline and Lithium are labled 1.5 volts. Both start with a higher voltage, Lithium as high as 1.8 volts. Rechargeable start about 1.3 volts, for life 2000 mAh or better is needed. Alkaline will soon drop voltage in use, rechargeable will also drop but hold higher voltage longer than alkaline. The lithium in my experience just last and last. Downfall being the cost ! Also the high 1.8 initial voltage could damage some circuit boards. Don't know this but have been warned.

Volts are just the push behind the current. What runs your detector is the watts, that is the total that is needed. Watts are volts times amps. Metal detectors are designed to regulate the voltage from your power source. Most are designed to warn you when the volts are no longer able to deliver the watts needed with alkaline batteries. They are also designed to regulate the volts so that low voltage in the batteries do not affect performance. As such, they run on voltage less than 1.5 volts per battery.

Voltage regulation can both reduce voltage and increase it. A taser battery does not contain 10,000 volts. A 110 volt AC circuit can charge 1.5 volt batteries. If the AC voltage drops to 100 volts, they can still charge the batteries. There is a device for charging my 5 volt batteries in theDeus coil, remote, et al, that uses a 1.5 volt battery. Rechargeable batteries can deliver the watts needed just fine.

As a matter of fact, my Pentax digital camera manual warned against alkaline batteries saying that they could be used to set up the camera but would not support all the functions. Their recommendation was rechargeable batteries or the lithium ones. The older generation rechargeables (non LSD) batteries lost their charge rather quickly and that could be a problem if you forgot to charge them. I know because I would charge two sets for my camera, install one and when the ones in the camera needed replaced, would find the replacements charged at the same time were also out of "juice". The newer rechargeable batteries do not lose their charge at nearly the same rate, they seem to me to be comparable to alkaline in this respect.

If you do an internet search on rechargeable batteries, you will see that rechargeables can deliver the watts needed at lower voltage than possible with alkaline batteries, the reason for the Pentax recommendations. Plus 8 rechargeable batteries can be charged for 3/10 of a penny. I've seen it touted by alkaline fanatics that they can pay for their batteries with their finds. I can pay to recharge 6 times with one penny as I only use 4 batteries plus they last as long as alkaline ones.

It is up to you, you can do whatever you want but I have used rechargeable batteries for years. I have replaced the old non LSD one with newer eneloops and have had not problems other than when I don't watch the charge meter, the rechargeables can go dead immediately. I have laid down my detector after a find, and it was acting perfectly normal, and when I picked it up, it was dead, similar to lithium power tools. Another thing is that most detector's battery level indicators are designed for alkaline batteries. Rechargeable ones show lower voltage when installed but still have all the power available needed to run your detector.

I use envelop white and black and Energizer LSD batteries and a La Crosse charger which can tell me how many amp-hours they contain, can drain and recharge, can keep draining and recharging until the batteries reach maximum amp-hours, and can charge batteries a different rates. I am sure it didn't take long to pay for themselves and will keep on paying long afterwards. Sorry for the long reply.