Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rechargeable batteries

A

Anonymous

Has anyone converted an Explorer battery pack to a rechargeable pack as can be done with the Whites DFX, XLT, MXT battery pack. If so please email me as to the procedure.
Thanks Rich

There are many ways to do that. You can put rechargeable batteries in the Explorer alkaline holder and buy a charger from Sunray along with thier Explorer Battery Pack holder so that you can recharge the batteries while they are in the pack. Or you can remove the batteries and charge them individually whenever they need charging. Or you can just buy the rechargeable battery pack and charger designed for the Explorer from a Minelab Dealer. All the above methods will work as I have used them all except for removing and recharging the batteries individually as that would be just too much extra work when the other two options both work so well!
HH
Beachcomber

I never got very good life from my Minelab re-chargeable battery packs. Usually lucky to get 6 hours of hunt time even with the 1600 mah pack in my Explorer II. This may have been my fault as I may have not been charging them long enough. The Minelab charger is only 100 mah and usually takes a full 24 hours or more to fully charge.
The re-chargeable packs also have a limiting circut built into the pack so you can't just use a charger with a higher output charger.
With the SunRay base ($21.25 with shipping) you are charging through the battery contacts and are not limited to a certin mah. The base's input plug is a different size (1/4" I think) and does not accept the Minelab charger plug.
RunRay makes a charger but it's out of stock and being re-designed. You can buy a "universal" charger 500 - 600 mah from WalMart, Radio Shack, ect... with mutiple size plugs that should do the job.
I've been using the "standard" battery pack with 2500 mah cells and don't have to worry anymore.
HH
Jeff

It's ashame that Sunray stopped making the original SR-12 Charger. It was a real winner!!! That has been the best charger I have ever found for quick charging NICAD's and NIMH's. I use it all the time!!!!!!
HH
Beachcomber
PS if you want to check out a wide variety of chargers do a search for Radio Control Race Car Battery Chargers. You'll be amazed at the wide variety of chargers that are available today. If my SR-12 ever bites the dust I will probably find my new charger from among that group of chargers as they ahve chargers that can charge any size pack from 4-16 cells with a single charger including NICAD, NIMH, and Lithium Ion.

When I had an Explorer I used my MAHA MH-C777 on the Minelab NIMH & the alkaline holder with NIMH cells installed with great results. It has adjustable contacts to match up with about any battery pack. The only problem Is the Explorer pack being so long & skinny , isnt held in place real well by the magnet on the 777 but still works well.. If you are real fussy the 777 & a Sun Ray cradle would be the way to go..wildherre