Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rechargeable Wireless headphone batteries

DDB

I was thinking of getting some rechargeable AA batteries for my headphones.
What brand do I look for ? How much can I expect to pay ?
What are the run times ? How long will they hold a charge ?
I currently use kirkland and get approximately 8-10 hr. of run time.
I usually like to hunt 4- 6 hours without a break or battery change break, so I guess a rechargeable that would last as long would be ok, and if it will hold a charge a day from being away from the charger would be good.
Thanks Dave

Energizer makes a good NiMH rechargeable... I use them in all my detectors and electronics at home.:detecting:

The problem with the NIMH rechargeable is you really need to charge them before you start to hunt. They start losing their charge as they sit. Enelopes are a LSD type of NIMH batteries and they lose very little charge while sitting.

I use Li Ion batteries in my detector but just use Kirkland Alkalies in my head set.

I have not found this to be the case, they come pre-charged and they hold up to 60%+ charge at one year at least that is the claim.
these are the Energizer power plus. I also use Rayovac platinum and have had very good results with them as well.
I am not sure what the LSD type is or how it differs from what I listed above.
These cells also have a higher mH rating .
Anyway they have been working for me and they are easily available at local retail outlets when needed.:twodetecting:

I tried several rechargeables in my head phones,Nuons ,energizers and some other off brand. They were more hassle than they were worth. I use alkalines now ,battery lasts longer and not as fast of discharge . I use Li Ion in detector so that leaves plenty of room for Alkies for head phones
, that I buy in bulk for my kids from Batterywarehouse. u know at about 30 cents apiece for really good brands. Yazoo

All the rechargeable NiMH batteries are rated at 1.2 volts x 8 = 9.6 volts which is the same as NiCad. I charge my 8 pack to 11.44 volts and after a week of just sitting around they will still read over 10 volts. I use the Energizer 2300mAh NiMH in my head phones and they will last several days of use.

Think we were talking headphones where after several charges headphone rechargable batteries drop off to fast for me.1.2 X2 is 2.4 and head phones dont like working to well for very long I felt. So for the money Alkaline were better for me. Yazoo

Well I picked up a set of sanyo eneloops, the pack comes with 8 AA, 2 AAA, c and d adapters, and charger. It says they hold 75% charge for 3 years.
I'm going to try them out this weekend, but you can bet I'll still have my alkalines with me.

Thanks for the info, Dave

I use the same NiMH batteries for the head phones in a 4 battery charger. They are at 1.46v when I take them out for a starting pair of 2.92 volts.

When I was trying to figure out the which rechargeable batteries to get, I happened across a photography forum. There were many threads about which rechargeable battery was the best (longest shelf life, peak run time, etc.). The thing that caught my attention was it seemed they always compared the the batteries to eneloop batteries. I figured eneloop batteries must be pretty good, C----- had a pack with 8 AA and 4AAA and a charger for about $20. I noticed right away they lasted as long or longer than Duracell copper top alkaline batteries. The charger that came with the batteries is just a simple charger so I did some more searching and found a good smart charger, it cost about $60 and is supposed to give a better charge and extend the overall life of the batteries. The eneloop batteries now run even longer than they did at first. I'm getting between 12 and 16 hours run time with the eneloop batteries and I have stored some for up to a month and had no problem with run time. I was getting 8-10 hours with the Duracells. Even without the expensive charger the eneloop batteries will pay for themselves in the long run. I must also say I only have used them in the headphones, the rechargeable battery that came with my V3i works just fine and I charge it after every hunt.

The charger is:
La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000 ($60 online)

The Batteries are :
eneloop NEW 2000mAh Typical, 1900mAh Minimum, 1500 cycle, 4 Pack AA, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries with 4 Position Charger ($18 online)

Ramiro

Hi Ramiroe, so if I understand you correct the charger that comes in the kit will charge the batteries. But to get the best charge and life out of them the charger needs to be upgraded ?
I also use the NiMH battery that came with my v3i, it will last a full day of hunting.

Thanks, Dave

The included battery chargers will do a fine job of charging the batteries, the more expensive chargers condition batteries as well as charging them with less chance of under or overcharging the batteries. Not being silly but I can buy 3 sets of Enelope LSD batteries for the price of the charger mentioned. The batteries are really cheap, about $18.00 for an 8 pack of 2200mah. I never worried about having to make their life last longer.

The NIMH battery packs that come with the V3i are more than adequate. The pack is 1800mah. If you don't need more than a full day of hunting on a pack there is no need to upgrade. The NIMH batteries in the pack are not the LSD (low self discharge) type so they do lose charge during non use. I used these packs for years and as long as I charged them before hunting they never failed me on an all day hunt.

It's all an individual preference. I like the Li Ion packs not because I need more run time per pack but because they stay charged while sitting. Any time I get the urge to detect I don't worry if the batteries need charging.

Good luck whatever you use, they all work.

I agree Rob, you don't have to buy the expensive charger. The La Crosse charger has a lot of bells and whistles (kind of like the V3i). Again you don't have to buy the expensive charger to benefit from the eneloop batteries, its just personal preference, but I do believe it helps get a few extra hours of run time between battery changes.

Ramiro

Rob might I ask where you get the Enelope LSD batteries at $18 for eight?

All the Enelope are LSD and the last ones I bought were from A.m.a.z.o.n. They were the 2000mah. I see they are $20.19 now. Of course we were talking headphones so the 4 pack would be $12.00 and 4 would be all you would ever need for phones.