Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rechargeables

wasp

I am seriously considering buying some 9V NiMH rechargeables to use in my Time Ranger. Has anyone tried the Tenergy brand batteries? All-battery.com has them on their website and they show them as 9V 250mAh but I wonder if they really are....or are they actually 8.4V? They are about half the cost of most true 9V rechargeables I have seen.

PowerEx 9.6V 230mAh rechargeables are quit a bit more expensive but I wonder if they would be worth the extra cost assuming the extra voltage wouldn't cause problems with the detector.

If anyone could let me know what rechargeables you use and how you like them I would appreciate any help and input.

Last month I bought 4 rechargeable 300 mAh batteries on ebay. They charge to about 9.4 volts and last about 4-6 hours per charge. I got all four delivered for $13.56.

The auction ad says 280 mAh, however the battery cases are labeled 300 mAh.

Here is the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320412019136&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Mark
Elite 2200

I use the Powerex batteries in my land star...the extra voltage will not hurt the detector in any way...There is a voltage regulator in the detector that knocks the voltage down anyways, and it can probably handle up to 15 volts before it would burn...The Powerex were expensive, but well worth knowing I have a full 9V+ when fully charged.
Make sure your charger can handle NiMh battteries...most are made for the old NiCads...

HH,

I have used the 8.4v rechargeables in my BH Land Star with no issues. I bought them on ebay.

The key thing is that you MUST buy the 8.4 or or 9.6 otherwise there may not be enough volts to run the detector reliably for more than a couple hours. I use to get around 6 hours between charges.

When I researched 9V rechargeables, I found out they they are made with 6, 7 or 8 internal cells each holding 1.2 volts. Therefore the six cells are actually 7.2 volts, the seven cell is actually 8.4 and the eight cell is 9.6. Most equipment can run on 7 or more volts because they are regulated and anything under 7 may or may not be enough to run it. I believe Energizers are 7.2. All of the batteries are sold as 9 volts.

I highly recommend the rechargeable. My manual says that you need to use alkaline and not heavy duty batteries. Rechargeables are the way to go.

So GoGoGopher I have a small very small 12 volt battery that runs my underwater camera for ice fishing, this could run my BH505 then since its not more that the 15 volts? sure I would have to mod the 9volt connections but this could work? I battery weighs maybe as much as 6 nine volts and that's not so bad I would rather carry this around with me than buying batteries all the time. And I can always just buy the 9volt rechargeable expensive ones and go with that.

I too thought about using a larger battery to power my BH, however I rejected the idea because there would be yet another wire going from my body to the unit to get in the way. It is true that the larger battery could be mounted to the BH directly, however then there is the additional mass on the MD and that is also undesirable. I suggest spending $13.56 and getting 4 of the rechargeable 9.4volt batteries, two to use while the other two are recharging.

Mark
Elite 2200

Yea I guess your right, but then again I'm cheap. LOL but only a few hours on a charge, how many times can you recharge them before they become useless?

I found this site with rechargeable batteries and the chargers. I'm thinking the GP170 its 9.6 volts here is the site address.

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GI9V

I would not tell you for certain without looking up the specs on the Regulator used on your 505...if you lookede up the regulator and it told you it could handle up to 15 volts, then the 12V battery would probbably work if applied correctly...Another issue might be amperage...the 12V gel cell would be much higher in amps than a 9V.

HH,

Where else would I get the rechargeable batteries and charger from, is that the pay so much for so little meaning?

And after I posted that gel battery thing I didn't think about the amp's if it could handle it. so yea im just going to invest into some rechargeable batteries. way to go im sure, just have to find enough pennies with my BH to buy those batteries. LOL thanks guys.

I go to:

http://www.zbattery.com/

Get the true 9.6V PowerEx...I also use tenergy and Powerizer batteries too, but they are the 8.5V variety and do not last as long...My charger takes nearly 20 hours to charge the 9 Volts...I do not like to use rapid chargers, as I believe they shorten the life of the battery by overheating (cooking) them.

HH,

I use the 9V rechargable batts from Energizer for my Tracker 4, Im totally satisfied about it

What charger do you suggest, what charger do you have, or will it say slow charger? you only told us half of the story. LOL

Hi

I use an energizer charger too, this one comes with 2 slots for changing, so you can charge the 2 batteries at once, the same charger can charge AA and AAA batts too

The charger (Powerex MH-C490F) I use is the one the Powerex battery company makes for their batteries. It is fast charge and when it reaches it charge it switches over to trickle charge. I got mine on ebay for around $20-25 without the car power cord. There are some places that sell the 9.6v powerex batteries with the charger. The batteries are expensive but work great. I believe their biggest use is for paint-ball where you guns require a burst of consistant power.

You need to a google search to see who sells them.

The link to the charge description is below.

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=364

Hi, I've bought rechargables from Thomas Distributing (800) 821-2769. Also bought from All-battery.com. Been satisfied with mine. Check them out, the folks at both places were helpful but All-battery doesn't have a toll free number.No problems with either of them - just got to get used to them going dead really fast once they start to run down.

I don't understand why someone would want to buy a low capacity expensive battery when they could buy a high capacity inexpensive battery, but heck... to each his own!

Mark
Elite 2200

I don't understand why someone would want to buy a low capacity expensive battery when they could buy a high capacity inexpensive battery, but heck... to each his own!

What do you mean they have true 9 volt batteries and produce over 9 volts, they are only 8.00 a piece, I would rather buy those than 2 duracell's for 6.00 or 7.00 I dont understand what you are talking about please explain in more detail what you mean please

thanks.

Because they are only 250 mAh capacity and four of them (two to use while two charge) will cost $32.00 plus tax and or shipping etc. I bought four 300 mAh true 9 volt (charge to 9.6 volt but then drop to and stay fairly constant at 9.43volts) and got them delivered to my door for $13.56 I think it was.

That's what I', talking about.

Mark
Elite 2200

So where did you get them? If I am going to drop money on rechargeable batteries then I want to order the best I can get. So please do tell. and what charger did you get with it?