Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recommend which DD coil for my Omega?

Hey guys, I just bought myself a used Omega to play with, and it has the stock 10 inch concentric coil. After a few coin and relic hunts I realized I don't seem to be getting the depth that others are achieving. However, here in North Alabama our soil is red clay and seems to give most all detectors a hard time, including my Tejon with it's concentric coil. I've never had a DD type coil before, but after reading the pros/cons and seeing the benefits that some seem to claim concerning better performance in bad ground, I think I'd like to add a DD coil to my arsenal.

With that said, which one would you guys recommend? I'd like a larger more "universal" size to try, and maybe get a smaller "sniper" sized coil down the road. Here are the options that I could find online:

1) Teknetics 11 inch DD elliptical
2) Teknetics 10 inch DD elliptical, the solid white one with no holes
3) NEL Sharpshooter 9.5x5.5 inch
4) NEL Hunter 12.5 inch x 8.5 inch

Main uses will be more wide open parks hunting coins, some trash but not super heavy, and relic hunts near old homesites and open field settings.

Thanks for any opinions/input!

Hello thumperjones ....I have all of those coils for my Omega except the Sharp shooter, I mainly relic hunt with some coin hunting on the side and the NEL Hunter coil is the best for me.
It ground balances real well covers more ground and is a little deeper than the factory 7" X 11" coil.

conehead said:
Hello thumperjones ....I have all of those coils for my Omega except the Sharp shooter, I mainly relic hunt with some coin hunting on the side and the NEL Hunter coil is the best for me.
It ground balances real well covers more ground and is a little deeper than the factory 7" X 11" coil.

Thanks for the input! The Hunter seems like it may be a little on the big side for a trashy area, but it may be worth it for the extra depth. Especially since the price difference isnt too bad.Thanks again.

My favorite DD coil for the Omega is the 5 x 10." Here in S W Tn it gets within an inch of the 11" DD. I also have the NEL Hunter and while it is a bit deeper then the 11" DD, I don't find it to be great in moderate to heavy trash laden spots and is a little nose heavy. HH jim tn

I would opt for either the OEM 11" DD or the OEM 5"x 10" DD.

And for a side note, if you can find one keep an eye for the Tesoro 5"x 10" Wide Scan (DD) coil for the Tejon, they work really well!

Mark

MarkCZ said:
I would opt for either the OEM 11" DD or the OEM 5"x 10" DD.

And for a side note, if you can find one keep an eye for the Tesoro 5"x 10" Wide Scan (DD) coil for the Tejon, they work really well!

Mark

Thanks for the advice! Would you have any preference between the two OEM DD coils? Between the two I'm kinda leaning towards the solid one, if for no other reason, because it won't get hung up on sticks and brush like the spoked 11 inch would.

That's the coil I had in mind for the Tejon... hehehe Glad to hear it works well!

Well, I have the 11" DD and it works really well, but if I was shopping for one or the other I'm thinking I be looking to get the 5"X 10"

Mark

I have never used a Omega,but i have used the NEL SharpShooter coil on my T2 and my personal opinion is that it stays on the detector almost all the time,i find it much sharper on smaller target while still giving good depth,pinpoints very well,build quality is far better all round i feel than the stock 11'' coil and although only a small feature but i do prefer centre mounted rods rather than rear mounted rods as it keep the machine better balanced.

Of course its all down to personal choice and what suits one person may not suit another one,my opinion on the Hunter coil is that i would think it would be great on open larger sites but not really suited to playing fields or tots lots or what ever you folks call them.Cannot comment about the Teknetics coils really as the only one i like is the small 5'' coil all the others that they make dont give me a 'buzz' i feel the built quality is the let down especially the coil plugs.

The stock 11'' coil when they came out on the T2 was one of the biggest failures although the main detectors build was reasonably good,good luck in your choice and keep us updated.

I had the NEL sharpshooter on my Omega and for my style or type of hunting it would not come close to replacing the 11" DD I sold the NEL we no regrets. I don't know where the build quality of the OEM coils is coming from, the 11" DD coil is a large coil, its spider open frame is very light for its size, it handles like a much smaller coil. Now I believe there was some water leak issues with the very early versions of the coil, but they have that all dried up now. Yes! its a big antenna and it attracts EMI because of its size, not because of a design problem.
I'm by no means saying the Sharpshooter is a bad coil, it just would replace the 11" DD, I also have the little 5" DD coil and I'm getting the idea to maybe sell it or trade it for the 5"X 10" DD that may be the best of both worlds.

Mark

the Teknetics 5X10 DD, which I prefer over the 11" BiAxial (DD) coil, and for trashier places the 5" DD is tough to beat.

One of my briefest posts ever! :clapping:

Monte

Thanks for the input everybody. I think I have decided to try the 5x10 DD from Teknetics. I was going to get a NEL Sharpshooter because of the price difference: $115 for the NEL vs $169 for the Tek :blink:

I think I'll just tough it out for a bit with the concentric and save up to get the 5x10. I like the fact that it's solid design won't snag on brush in the thick stuff. Glad to hear it works well. :thumbup:

Monte said:
the Teknetics 5X10 DD, which I prefer over the 11" BiAxial (DD) coil, and for trashier places the 5" DD is tough to beat.

One of my briefest posts ever! :clapping:

Monte
Monte, are you feeling okay?
:lol:

Mark

I don't know if you are curious due to the brevity of the post, or the fact I mentioned more than one Double-D coil?

Quite possibly it's BOTH! :rofl: