Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recommendation for a good handheld unit.

rickinsdakota

I have never had any experience with a GPS unit at all. So I am quite green at this. I notice most on line maps dating back to 100 years or more are pretty much spot on when they show a structure such as a old school, church etc. These on line maps will show the coordinates. What would be a recommendation for a good handheld unit. I would like to put those coordinates into the unit and then be able to walk to that location even though there is no visable sign remaining of it.

What you are asking about is a basic functionality of a GPS receiver. They all do that.well.
Question is; what constitutes a good receiver? This days they are all fast and accurate so we can set this requirement aside.
IMHO a good receiver will have a 3 axes electronic compass and ability to display maps and ability to be loaded with custom maps.
All these are featured in lower end units like Dakota 20 for under $300
Next is the screen size / resolution. Larger screen makes map reading easier but that comes with a bigger price tag.
All other functions are bells and whistles that you may or may not use.
HTH

I just noticed Cabelas has a Garmin Oregon 450 online for $150. I see that the 550T is $110 more for $260. This looks like a very good price.

the last post was September of 2013 so could someone give me a update as to a good hand held GPS that can import old maps and use the GPS co-ordinates to find cellar holes, etc. and whatever other features that you experienced users know that we need for our detecting. I'd hate to spend a lot of money on one only to find that I missed one feature that I really could use.
Thanks

From Garmin, Oregon and Montana models are still cutting edge receivers. Other manufacturers, I'm not sure - I haven't had time to keep up to date on everything.