Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

red or black

iron bark

:ausflag: What to buy a red racer or a black racer 2 from what I under stand both are great detectors, the black racer has some extra features over the red thanks

If you are going to be hunting Aussie decimal coins or using it on the beach get the black but if you just want to relic hunt old sites the red will do fine.

Favotti said:
If you are going to be hunting Aussie decimal coins or using it on the beach get the black but if you just want to relic hunt old sites the red will do fine.

They are literally same machine only changes are one extra preset mode. And slightly altered vdi scale.

Ya I agree, they are far from being the same machine. If I had a choice and could get either, it would be the R2 without a doubt. Not only is the R2 far better ergonomically designed over the original Racer, it also offers quite a few nice features that the original lacks, such as Notch, Iron Audio,Settings are Saved/Factory Default restore, Tone Break, Audio tone adjustment,Threshold/iSAT. Also have a Deep Mode and the non ferrous scale is expanded. The R2 non ferrous is 11-99 whereas the original Racer was 41-99. You won't get the clumping of targets in the "82" VDI range that you do on the original.

Zinc Penny said:
They are literally same machine only changes are one extra preset mode. And slightly altered vdi scale.
Zinc penny, you had an issue with a Racer series unit. You initially said splendid things about it and the performance you had afield. Then you had some sort of glitch that needs to be resolved. I have encouraged you in Forum post replies that you ought to follow the proper steps, get a new replacement racer, and get out hunting because that will take care of all the concerns you have. Dilek, the Marketing and Customer Service Rep. for Nokta Detector Technologies and Makro Metal Detectors replied to you just over three hours ago, as she did to 'vabrick', that they stand behind their products and very quickly, and very openly, address the consumer's needs when some production glitches like your arises.

I believe you should take advantage of Dilek's company offer and contact here with the information so she can get your detector replaced/taken care of and then you will continue to enjoy the exceptional quality and performance these models provide. Regardless of which racer series model you have, they are very close to unmatchable in performance in tough hunting location challenges ... unless you are using another Makro Racer series or Nokta FORS series model with comparable modes and settings. :)

'iron bark,' the 'original' Racer [size=small](the one you refer to as the "Red Racer")[/size] is quite a performer and it comes with an exceptionally nice lower MSRP. It caught my attention back in February of 2015, just a month after the Nokta FORS CoRe bumped my other detectors down-the-line and became my #1 primary use detector. The CoRe remains in my regular-carry detector battery. Both the CoRe and Racer served me well all of last year, but then came two newer Racer series models [size=small](and both of them are a "Black Racer" battery/speaker/electronics housing design)[/size] to include both the Gold Racer and newer Racer 2.

Both the Racer [size=small](Red)[/size] and Racer 2 [size=small](Black)[/size] operate at 14 kHz and share the same search coils, so perhaps one of these general-purpose detectors is what you are looking for? The both come with a 7X11 DD coil standard, and look to be very, very similar, but while they do share the same coils and operate at the same frequency, there are some remarkable differences between them. They are NOT "literally the same" detector.

Physically, the Racer 2 has a different curve in the 'S' rod which provides a more comfortable grip angle.

The Racer 2 came with a newer, redesigned 7X11 DD search coil that copied the physical design and rod-mounting point of the 7X11 DD's used on the Nokta FORS series models. An excellent make-over that provides a better 'feel' and balance than before.

Both models share a '01' to '99' numeric VDI scale for Target ID and Discrimination setting references, but the breakdown is quite significant. The Racer shows most ferrous targets from '01' to '40' and non-ferrous targets range from '41' thru '99' [size=small](by the way, the Gold Racer shares the same ferrous/non-ferrous TID break-down)[/size]. This therefore tends to clump many higher-conductive coins and other targets very close to ± '82' on the Target ID scale.

It is still functional, but some folks, especially more Traditional Urban Coin & Jewelry Hunters, would like a little more spread in the TID for non-iron targets. This was addressed in developing the Racer 2 which uses a VDI break-down that keeps most iron targets in the '01' to '10' TID range, and non-iron targets run from '11' to '99' as mentioned in the reply from Oregon Gregg. This provide a broader spread of Target ID numeric references for the higher-conductive/non-iron range of targets.

Also as Oregon Gregg mentioned below, the Racer 2 provides these added features:

* An additional Discriminate mode, 'DEEP', for working low-target sites with some deeper target potential that allows, and requires, a somewhat slower sweep speed to increase depth.
* Notch Discrimination in any of the four motion-based Discriminate modes.
* Iron Audio Volume adjustment.
*Tone Break
* Audio Tone adjustment
iSAT for the All Metal mode
* and a setting selection that allows an operator to Save custom settings or restore Factory Default settings.

There are a few other differences in settings, and the racer 2 also enjoyed some circuitry changes in how it performed in some of the search modes it shares with the original Racer.. The Racer 2 was such a better balanced, better feeling, and better performing unit for the Relic Hunting I do the most and deal with ample dense iron debris, as well as urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting that it became one of my top-used models.

The are similar, but the Racer and Racer 2 are not the same detector. They are both performance engineered at a very reasonable retail price, but the Racer 2 is certainly more feature packed, and that might influence your purchase decision, depending upon the types of hunting you do and site challenges you deal with.

Monte

:ausflag:Thanks ever one for your thoughts and Monte your explanation between the 2 detector will help me make up my mind ,very much appreciated regards from Australia

I think you'll be very happy. :clapping:

Monte said:
Zinc Penny said:
Zinc penny, you had an issue with a Racer series unit. You initially said splendid things about it and the performance you had afield. Then you had some sort of glitch that needs to be resolved. I have encouraged you in Forum post replies that you ought to follow the proper steps, get a new replacement racer, and get out hunting because that will take care of all the concerns you have. Dilek, the Marketing and Customer Service Rep. for Nokta Detector Technologies and Makro Metal Detectors replied to you just over three hours ago, as she did to 'vabrick', that they stand behind their products and very quickly, and very openly, address the consumer's needs when some production glitches like your arises.

I believe you should take advantage of Dilek's company offer and contact here with the information so she can get your detector replaced/taken care of and then you will continue to enjoy the exceptional quality and performance these models provide. Regardless of which racer series model you have, they are very close to unmatchable in performance in tough hunting location challenges ... unless you are using another Makro Racer series or Nokta FORS series model with comparable modes and settings. :)

'iron bark,' the 'original' Racer [size=small](the one you refer to as the "Red Racer")[/size] is quite a performer and it comes with an exceptionally nice lower MSRP. It caught my attention back in February of 2015, just a month after the Nokta FORS CoRe bumped my other detectors down-the-line and became my #1 primary use detector. The CoRe remains in my regular-carry detector battery. Both the CoRe and Racer served me well all of last year, but then came two newer Racer series models [size=small](and both of them are a "Black Racer" battery/speaker/electronics housing design)[/size] to include both the Gold Racer and newer Racer 2.

Both the Racer [size=small](Red)[/size] and Racer 2 [size=small](Black)[/size] operate at 14 kHz and share the same search coils, so perhaps one of these general-purpose detectors is what you are looking for? The both come with a 7X11 DD coil standard, and look to be very, very similar, but while they do share the same coils and operate at the same frequency, there are some remarkable differences between them. They are NOT "literally the same" detector.

Physically, the Racer 2 has a different curve in the 'S' rod which provides a more comfortable grip angle.

The Racer 2 came with a newer, redesigned 7X11 DD search coil that copied the physical design and rod-mounting point of the 7X11 DD's used on the Nokta FORS series models. An excellent make-over that provides a better 'feel' and balance than before.

Both models share a '01' to '99' numeric VDI scale for Target ID and Discrimination setting references, but the breakdown is quite significant. The Racer shows most ferrous targets from '01' to '40' and non-ferrous targets range from '41' thru '99' [size=small](by the way, the Gold Racer shares the same ferrous/non-ferrous TID break-down)[/size]. This therefore tends to clump many higher-conductive coins and other targets very close to ± '82' on the Target ID scale.

It is still functional, but some folks, especially more Traditional Urban Coin & Jewelry Hunters, would like a little more spread in the TID for non-iron targets. This was addressed in developing the Racer 2 which uses a VDI break-down that keeps most iron targets in the '01' to '10' TID range, and non-iron targets run from '11' to '99' as mentioned in the reply from Oregon Gregg. This provide a broader spread of Target ID numeric references for the higher-conductive/non-iron range of targets.

Also as Oregon Gregg mentioned below, the Racer 2 provides these added features:

* An additional Discriminate mode, 'DEEP', for working low-target sites with some deeper target potential that allows, and requires, a somewhat slower sweep speed to increase depth.
* Notch Discrimination in any of the four motion-based Discriminate modes.
* Iron Audio Volume adjustment.
*Tone Break
* Audio Tone adjustment
iSAT for the All Metal mode
* and a setting selection that allows an operator to Save custom settings or restore Factory Default settings.

There are a few other differences in settings, and the racer 2 also enjoyed some circuitry changes in how it performed in some of the search modes it shares with the original Racer.. The Racer 2 was such a better balanced, better feeling, and better performing unit for the Relic Hunting I do the most and deal with ample dense iron debris, as well as urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting that it became one of my top-used models.

The are similar, but the Racer and Racer 2 are not the same detector. They are both performance engineered at a very reasonable retail price, but the Racer 2 is certainly more feature packed, and that might influence your purchase decision, depending upon the types of hunting you do and site challenges you deal with.

Monte

I haven't sent it in cause frankly not worth my time or money. I have too many machines as is. I do like the racer. I found a lot more with it but the damn thing is hard hitting on foil but I dig it all cause if gold but it's hard to tell as you don't get a broken signal like on other machines.

I may eventually get around to getting it fixed or sell it haven't decided.

You'll love the racer 2.
I personally don't have the red racer, but I do have the Nokta relic and racer 2.
Both great machines from (a) great company(s).
Favorite coil being the 5.5x10 but both that come in the pro pack are great :)
Happy hunting!!

:ausflag: The easy part I have just picked it up from the post office. Will try and get out today one question do you all use the volume control at max or has anyone tried different settings to see how it effect the detector performance

I always run my volume at max. My lightweight headphones (koss) need the volume turned up to the max but on my SunRay Pro Golds and my Killer B's, I use the headphone controls to adjust the volume.

So, how did you fair?
I'm always interested to hear what new owners think!!!