Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Red Racer and Aluminum

After-1-

I can't find a setting with the Red Racer to quite digging aluminum.---This machine is new to me---------I have been running the 5'' coil------------THX--------------after1------------

you need to be more specific.

After-1- said:
I can't find a setting with the Red Racer to quite digging aluminum.---This machine is new to me---------I have been running the 5'' coil------------THX--------------after1------------
By 'quite' I presume you mean 'quit,' and to quit digging aluminum you need to specify what specific aluminum-based target you're referring to. It could me small, thin aluminum foil, or possibly an aluminum pull tab, or be a larger size object like an aluminum beverage can.

Aluminum comes in many sizes, shapes and thicknesses so it can read all over the place and, if you want to reject some aluminum, you need to specify what the desired target is.

Use a sample piece of the object that annoys you, wave it past the center-axis of the search coil at about 3" and in different orientations to the coil, while increasing the ID Filter [size=small](Discrimination)[/size] to reach the point where that sample is eliminated.

Monte

PS: Remember, when increasing the Discrimination above the iron rejection point you also increase the risk or likelihood that you will also be rejecting desired targets.

Quit ___Yes quit digging aluminum --Most of the aluminum objects have been pop cans big chunks 2''-3''SQ.My problem is that they read the same as Silver Dime, I have and I will dig aluminum, Just kinda stumped with the VID Numbers -------Plus I can not pick up a silver dime and a nickle 6'' deep with the stock coil and 5''coil-----I must not have something set right-----------------after1----------------

I will and always have dug aluminum :thumbup:

I just recently got the Red Racer, too. What settings do you usually run? I have dug a few 5 & 6" coins with both of the same coils, but nothing much deeper. Don't know if I have gotten over any deeper ones or not. Suspect mine will not be overly deep on coin size targets. As I hunt for coins mainly, have mostly been running in 3 tone mode, gain in the 90's and 0 id filter. I have dug a few pieces of can slaw, but not enough to be a problem. And the sites I've been hunting does have plenty of it. I have found some silver with mine, 1 piece, a 1916 Barber dime, found in heavy trash and a hard hit spot. Anyway, good luck. HH jim tn

Running 3 tone- gain 60s-90s --filter 1-30 mostly below 5 -------- The aluminum sounds so good and that I have to see what it is ----Mostly I'm thinking Silver ----- I would really like to leave some of the Aluminum in the ground for the next guy-----------after1---------

Are you using quality Headphones? Most aluminum will read down in the pulltab range unless it's a large piece. Between sizing the target to see if it is larger than a coin, and the audio should tell you because the jagged aluminum doesn't have that smooth round sound that a coin has. I never dig aluminum from cans in the coin range. I've dug aluminum washers or thick (1/8") aluminum wire but never can pieces. The best thing you can do is to take a few of the pieces you've dug and lay them out about 8 to 10 inches away from a coin. Practice sweeping over the aluminum and the coin until your brain and ears start to recognize the difference in the sound between the alum. and the coin.

Does using pinpoint help you judge the size of the target? Coins short be small and therefore only ring for a small time in pinpoint while sweeping while 2-3" aluminum should have a larger signal.
Hope this helps.
As for aluminum the same size as a coin, it should give audio or vDI hints especially if it's jagged. Should bounce more on the VDI numbers. But it will be harder.

Haha I remember one park where for 3 days I was finding pieces of on can that was hit with a lawnmower. That was irritating. Really spread it around.

Headphones I use are Koss UR29 and pinpointing I go E-W----N-S and I also do a circle motion with the coil just to get another indication of size ---If my circle motion is sounding off on the big size, I will pass--but if it the pinpoint is sounding off on the size off a quarter, I am digging ---Really don't have much time on the machine -----Need more use of it ------The ground in WPA. is really dry now and not digging all targets -----------after1--------------

After-1- said:
Headphones I use are Koss UR29 and pinpointing I go E-W----N-S and I also do a circle motion with the coil just to get another indication of size ---If my circle motion is sounding off on the big size, I will pass--but if it the pinpoint is sounding off on the size off a quarter, I am digging ---Really don't have much time on the machine -----Need more use of it ------The ground in WPA. is really dry now and not digging all targets -----------after1--------------
Having the same problem here in MI. So dry here I haven't been hunting as much

After-1- said:
Headphones I use are Koss UR29 -

Hey After 1,

Where'd you get the UR 29's.......

I have 2 pairs of them as well but don't use them detecting as they have straight cables.
BUT, IMHO they are better sounding than the UR 30's as supplied by 'moonlab'

I bought the Ur29s off ebay--- May be check out the Modifications Forum and look for -duggr- ---He is the one that said to get the UR29s and they are Great -----------------after1---------Should want to sell a set send a PM---------------------------THx