Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Red Racer + Hunted Out Park = Find Of A Lifetime

B.RATNY

I met up with a couple hunting buddies this morning at a pounded park, and got real lucky. Finally after hundreds of Indian heads over the years, I got the good one...
HH Butch NY

Congrats, really nice find and its in pretty nice condition.

just had a look on ebay , as well I wont be finding one of those here, but guessing that wont be going through the tumbler maybe a trip to a professional cleaner and NGC or PCGS.

nice score I have found a few keys and most have had some detracting marks so not easy finding a nice one outta the dirt, gotta be happy with that :biggrin:

AJ

That is unreal, you must have freeket out when you seen the date.

Reading this gave me some good MOJO. Hit a old site today and got a sketchy hit that ended up being a 1876 indian head penny long ways away from yours in value but still a good one

Yes I did. It was kind of funny before we started hunting we were talking about how hard it was to even find a wheat penny in this park, no less a piece of silver or an Indian head. Needless to say we've hunted it hard over the years. I said to my hunting buddies Ed and Tony I would be very happy just to find one Indian head, that was my goal for the day. Ed said yeah find an 1877 that would be nice, I just chuckled and said sure that would be nice. We went in different directions and within ten minutes I got a good signal dug down around 5-6 inches and found the coin. I could tell it was an Indian so I hollered over to Ed that I found my coin of the day an Indian head, he hollered back "well is it the 1877" I just laughed and said hold on I need to knock some more dirt off. I saw the 187 and said its an 1870 something. I thought at first it was an 1872 which I thought was great, a good date, then I got the rest of the dirt off and just about fell over. We were all pretty blown away. The funny thing is we were all probably over that same area a dozen times over the years. Just goes to show you it's never hunted out.
HH Butch NY

B.RATNY said:
Not really sure yet, I'm gonna send it in to get it professionally cleaned and graded.
HH Butch NY

Good plan :biggrin: and your right no spot is ever hunted out unless there are NO targets left.

I am no expert on US coins as well I don't need to be don't live there but they graded this as AU http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1877-Indian-Head-Penny-Highly-Coveted-Ultra-RARE-AU-Key-Date-Free-S-H-/371573755022?hash=item5683858c8e%3Ag%3AxGYAAOSwwpdW40%7Ea&nma=true&si=WvG6he%252FftVXzxVF7VzVh0EN%252BE%252F0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would say if yours has no cancer and cleans up nice and NGC can grade it as an uncleaned coin probably looking at 1500 nice work if you can get it hey !!

I found one of these a couple of weeks ago in VF http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1915-Florin-UNC-/291690813405?hash=item43ea2097dd:g:sKsAAOSwuAVWyqmr then when I got it home it had 2 marks on the reverse and well I was sad, but my point is finding a good numi coin out of the dirt is dam hard, so well done !!

AJ

I still cant beleave it how many times we walked right over it, well im happy for yah man with all the years in this hobby you earned it, congrats to yah....:beers:

Great find, found one myself back in the 80's. Same condition. Unfortunately, no coin shop would pay more than $5.00.
At the time I think it was worth $100 had it not been found in the ground with the green patina.
A coin like this is considered a cull, good filler coin if you need it in a collection.
Yeah I thought I had a winner too because of the rare date.
Generally when the green patina is removed, the coin will look horrible.
It will be interesting to see what a professionally cleaned coin would look like and see how it is then graded.