Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reducing Gain vs. Reducing Threshold

kittlitz

In a high EMI situation, Is it best to leave Gain at the red dot and reduce Threshold until the machine is stable? Or should I reduce Gain somewhat as well? Just wondering what the pros and cons of reducing one vs. the other are. Thanks.

-Ken

Hello Ken
For me and my dirt + EMI I adjust the gain (usually lower) more so than the threshold..hh
joe

Hello Ken
For me and my dirt + EMI I adjust the gain (usually lower) more so than the threshold..hh
joe

Thanks, Joe. Is your dirt fairly mineralized? Mine balances at around the 10 o'clock position on the X... I'm not sure if that's mineralized or not.

-Ken

Hello Ken
My GB is usually 1 - 3 o'clock at most of my sites...joe

Reducing threshold will make the detector less sensitive to smaller objects. You should just hear a slight hum Gain would be my choice to reduce . My ground balance is at 11 o/clock. I live in the red dirt near Culpeper Va.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll try reducing Gain more than Threshold next time I'm in a high-EMI situation.

-Ken

Threshold should be set at a low hum
Different headphones different settings on threshold.
Don't see EMI affecting the threshold?
Gain setting is power setting and yes this is affected by EMI.

Thanks -- I did find that reducing Gain alone seemed to do the trick.

In some of his videos, I think Ziggy recommends setting the Threshold just so it's quiet -- turn it up until you get a bit of sound, then turn it down slightly. This seems different to how Threshold is used on most other machines.

-Ken