Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"REED" object found on battlefield at Vicksburg, MS

Reggie

Steve and others: I did not remember this site existed for identifying objects, so I posted earlier on the E-Trac site. Sorry 'bout that.

If it's okay, I'll ask you and the viewers to help try to identify an object found by Jeff, my hunting buddy. The photos aren't great, but they do show the basics, which include: the word "REED" on the left side; the letter "X" at the upper right in the arch; the letter "D" in the lower right side below the arch. To the right of "REED" there appears to be the date "JUNE" followed by some numbers, which could include "20" and/or "21" or "71". The unit is 2.25 " across the base, 2.5" top to bottom, and has 4 beveled attaching points plus two more at the bottom. It is made either of steel or cast iron. If you know what this is, please share the info!

With the name "REED" on it, we are wondering if this could be some sort of attachment for a Reb cannon, like maybe a sight, for example. Thanks for your help.

The best thing I could come up for for REED is this site...

http://www.reedmfgco.com/

I didn't find any sights, but this site may have some, anyhoo, google said they do. If it were a sight, it may have mounted on the barrel, hole to the side with some kind of pointer, like "X" marks the spot or "D" dead-on.

http://www.go2gbo.com/

This looks like the dingus that holds the the rammers and swabs stuck around on the cannon. Some look more like this doo-hickey than others.

In this picture it looks like the thingy on the right side of the carriage, with the swab stuck in it.

http://www.old-picture.com/civil-war/pictures/Artillery-Civil-War-001.jpg

Similar thingamabob on this semi-plastic reproduction.

http://www.civilwarcannons.com/images/carriage1_200909.jpg

See, I'm never afraid to answer questions I don't know the answers to.

Musketeer

I thought it was an early toilet seat until I saw the size of it.

I don't know how I got the pictures on there, I thought I just had links. Dang I'm good.

Well dave, folks were a lot smaller in those days. But uhhh they didn't have seats on toilets, just a hole in a board, mainly to keep kids from falling in.

Anybody else know anything about the Reed Confederate Artillery attachments? This cast iron piece has dove-tails for it to be mounted into or onto something, and it is definitely heavy-duty in construction. It might not be Confederate, but who can tell what else it could be? It was found in an artillery position of a siege battle field in a remote area.

I have found 2 of these items but they are different sizes one smaller than the other yours apears to be iron mine are iron but are heavily corroded and pitted and if they had any markings you can't tell I found mine at old house sites one man said he thought they were old door handles but I'm not sure could possibly be something from a cannon maybe just thought I'd share a little input

Thanks, Daryl. They appear to have dovetails where they would fit into something larger. Dang if I can figure it out!

Looks like some kind of part to hold something over a fire or wood stove???
Possibly for melting lead?