Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Relic and the nail patch

3RINGER

Picking up the NR tomorrow along with the 5.5x10 coil. Excited to get it out and work the nail patch with the smaller coils. After getting the Racer this place really came alive and gave up some nice buttons and bullets.

Plans are to hit the test garden for some hands on time and then off to the site. Be interesting to compare the finds from the Recer in this spot to the NR. Was looking to add a higher kHz unit with a fast recovery for those nail infested sites and want to see what the NR has over the Racer. Like what I'm seeing and hearing from others so time for some hands on.

Be interesting to see how the tone breaks come into play and how other aspects of the unit help out in these sites.

3RINGER said:
Picking up the NR tomorrow along with the 5.5x10 coil.
I think you'll confuse some readers by using 'NR' as I know some have told me they get tired of 'FORS' being used ahead of the model names like CoRe, Gold [sup]+[/sup] and Relic. Just a comment from a guy who values the Relic as his #1 all-purpose detector, and I have even started to curb the 'FORS' reference before each model, often now just stating a 'FORS series' model and then use the specific name.

Okay, now to the question, which 5½X10 coil are you getting, the Double-D or Concentric?.

3RINGER said:
Excited to get it out and work the nail patch with the smaller coils.
I always grab my Relic with the 5½X10 Concentric coil when I am dealing mainly with iron nail trash, or similar cut-wire. I use it when the nail infestation isn't too terribly challenging, and is more-or-less a low to moderate iron nail environment. I enjoy looking for and hunting a lot of iron nail trashy sites that have driven others off, and naturally your success will depend upon the model of detector used, coil size and type used, settings used and the patience level to work a site in a slow and methodical; manner.

I also prefer to use one of the 2-Tone Discriminate modes when I am mainly dealing with iron nails and not a lot of high-conductor read-out targets. In those nasty environments when targets are very close, I just use the smaller-size coil for the Makro or Nokta model in-hand and search in the 3-Tone Discriminate mode. If you're just concerned about iron nails, I think you'll enjoy whichever 5½X10 coil design you get.

Most of the ghost town sites I hunt can have an abundance of iron nails, which is no problem, but the trash target that seems to frustrate me the most is rusty tin. Nothing more irritating that working a site that abounds in rusty tin and other similar sheet-iron debris. :rant:

3RINGER said:
After getting the Racer this place really came alive and gave up some nice buttons and bullets.
I have been hunting many of my favorite old sites that I have enjoyed since the summer of '69, and have added several more in my travels or on our Welcome-to-Hunt Outings ever since I switched over to the CoRe, then original Racer, and now the CoRe is joined by the Racer 2 and Relic ... all equipped with their most-used search coils mounted and ready-to-go. Once I started hitting favorite sites with the CoRe in January of last year, I started increasing my old button, bullet, cartridge case, buckle, and especially old coin and trade token recoveries from nasty iron debris sites. Today, the CoRe, Relic and Racer 2 are all models I rely on.

3RINGER said:
Plans are to hit the test garden for some hands on time and then off to the site. Be interesting to compare the finds from the Recer in this spot to the NR.
Many people think the Racer and Racer 2 performance is almost identical to the CoRe and Relic, but I can tell you it is kind of similar in many ways, but certainly not the same. My relic, CoRe and Racer 2 settings for similar modes kind of duplicate each other, but I can hear the difference in performance afield based upon the site conditions, so take your time to learn the settings that work for you the best for each model and coil choice.

I'll be interested in seeing what the various settings are that you settle on and compare them with those that I use. Naturally, your site conditions might differ a lot from mine so that can also make a difference.

3RINGER said:
Was looking to add a higher kHz unit with a fast recovery for those nail infested sites and want to see what the NR has over the Racer. Like what I'm seeing and hearing from others so time for some hands on.

Be interesting to see how the tone breaks come into play and how other aspects of the unit help out in these sites.
In very low iron trashy places or when it is well spaced and less often encountered I still happily grab my CoRe as it works great. However, when iron trash abounds, the Racer 2 and Relic offer the very useful Iron Audio Volume adjustment as well as Tone Break which makes working dense iron debris much more pleasurable. If a person only rejects all the iron range then the CoRe or original Racer work fine, but I like to hear the iron present to know there is the likelihood of target masking and be able to work the coil around the iron when I hear it .... at a reduced Loudness or Volume Level .... which is why the Relic is my #1 all purpose unit closely followed by the Racer 2.

I'm sure you are going to enjoy the Relic.

Monte

Monte

Your break down is well appreciated. The 10x5.5 is the DD.

Due to all the reading along with downloading the manual was able to work through the setting in the test garden. Learning what each of those settings will do for me and when they will be needed is what will take time.

One thing I noticed on one of my complex targets...three dug square nails with a coin in the middle, 2 nails above and to the side and one level with and next to the coin...the relic has that familiar blinding of the tones. I heard the iron mixing with the high tone, I really liked this in the Racer and to see it in the Relic was great. Next to it I have this same set up without the coin. Iron grunt with a false here and there but when turning on the target the false was either moving or not there...back to the coin / nail group and the coin did not move and was picked up in all directions but one and in that case it had what I would call a scratchy high tone mixed with iron if that makes sense.

Working through the garden I also noticed something about sweep speed for the relic. Not sure if this is due to the higher kHz or just picking up more small items my other units are not seeing. This was done with the stock coil.

Changed out to the 10x5.5 and heading back out now. This is the main coil I plan on using so this is what I'll work on the setting with. Can't see running Sen. high in the heavy nail area, would think less would do better. Is this what you are seeing when you hunt those type locations?

After spending time with the known targets and working with settings I went to the location where some nice saves came from the iron. No where close to what I want to settle on but getting there slowly. Monte your right about the rusty tin. Rusty bottle cap showed to have a raspy sound at the start of the tone and at the end. It sounded like one tone with that effect front and back. Would not have thought this would pop out at only 3-4" with square nails showing in the loose dirt.

Need a better grasp on tone break and a few others. A Thank You to all that have posted info and vids about this unit.

Monte can you go into how changing one will effect the other when it comes to settings from what you have seen?

this took care of some other Q's I had thanks too Spoof.

Good read, Thanks Monte for the break down to his Q.

Stoof-tabsallday
OK, so to better understand my settings I have a situation or two to run by you..
Okay, I am ready, but I believe the issue is going to be the interpretation of "Iron Audio" combined with 'Tone Break' and the real division point for each setting.. To help those who might not be that familiar with the excellent FORS Relic, I might break down the descriptions we use in our questions and answers.

Stoof-tabsallday
DI2 mode, tone break at 50, iron volume at 5 rest settings don't matter besides idmask as low as possible.
So, let me describe the settings you refer to for readers:

DI2 is actually Di2, and not read as D 12, and stands for Discrimination mode, with 2 audio Tones. There is a Low Tone, which we generally refer to as an Iron Audio Tone that is lower and bass-like, and the higher-pitched audio Tone that is VCO enhanced.

'Tone Break' is an operator setting for 'break point' between the Lower, Bass-Like Iron Audio Tone and the higher-pitched, VCO enhanced Audio Tone ONLY in a Two-Tone search mode..

The default 'Tone Break' setting is at the numeric VDI of '20.' This is also the 'break point' between the Ferrous (Iron) range targets and the higher-conductive Non-Ferrous targets. Therefore, the default Relic 'Tone Break' of '20' is also the functional Iron Audio Tone Break=Point between ferrous and non-ferrous targets.

If the operator alters the 'Tone Break' to a higher numeric setting, they are also shifting the 'Iron Audio" Low-Tone that will then include ALL targets with a conductivity level equal-to or below the new 'Tone Break' setting.

'Iron Volume' is the Iron Audio Range Volume or Loudness for ALL targets that are at or below the 'Tone Break' setting in any Two-Tone mode. In the Di/Three-Tone sewrch mode, Iron Volume is only functional for targets that fall in the '00' to '20' Ferrous TID range. The Iron Volume (or 'Tone Break' Volume') in any Two-Tone mode) can be adjusted from '0' (silenced audio response Volume) to '05' (the loudest and 'normal' Volume level possible).

'ID Mask' is the term used for the Nokta FORS series models to describe the Discrimination adjustment level.

Stoof-tabsallday
So with these settings, is my iron volume controlling my user set low tone up to 49 ...
Yes, everything based upon numbers at or below the 'Tone Break' setting in any Two-Tone mode.

Stoof-tabsallday
... or is the iron volume the low low grunt and the low tone is up to 49 and the high is 50 and above?
In Di2, or ANY Two-Tone mode, there are no more than Two Tones:

The Low-Tone, or Iron Audio Tone, for all targets that have a conductivity at or below the 'Tone Break' setting, and a Higher-Tone w/VCO enhancement for higher-conductive targets that register above the 'Tone Break' setting. There is no 3rd tone, just Low Iron Audio and High VCO enhanced modulated audio. The "Low Grunt" sound IS the Iron Audio Lower-Tone assigned to ALL targets at or below the 'Tone Break.'

Stoof-tabsallday
Maybe a better example is all same settings above but iron volume at 0.
If you adjust the Iron Volume level to '00' then you have basically assigned a "silent search or no-sound Volume level to ALL targets below the 'Tone Break' setting Since the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break-point in Target ID is established at '20,' that's where I personally leave my 'Tone Break' so I can audibly classify most typical iron junk.

If 'Tone Break' is increased up to the '49' setting you suggested, then there are many desirable Non-Ferrous targets that will then produce the Lower, Iron-Audio grunt sound, and they will also have a lower level Volume or Loudness, if the Iron Volume setting is set below '05' AND if you are using any Two-Tone mode.

Stoof-tabsallday
Will the iron volume at 0 mean that all targets up to 49 will be silent? Essentially same as idmask at 49?
Yes, they will be SILENT, but they will still be detected and produce a visible Target ID read-out, whereas an ID Mask (Discrimination) setting of '49' would mean you will not hear the target response or see any visual response to the target. In actual in-the-field searching, you might experience a bit more good target masking in a trashy environment if you use too much ID Mask compared with only using a '00' Iron Volume level, depending upon the conditions.

Stoof-tabsallday
I'm not sure if the iron volume is the a control for the user set low tone in 2 tone and the 0-20 in 3 tone or if it's on its own and even if I have idmask set up to 30 for some reason but iron volume at 5, would I still get a low grunt?
The Iron Volume control is a setting made by the user that adjusts the Volume Level of Iron-Range Targets that are at or below the 'Tone Break' setting in ANY of the Two-Tone modes. That's why I prefer to leave my 'Tone Break' in any Two-Tone mode at the '20' TID setting as that's where the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous TID read-out changes.

If you are using the Di3, or Three Tone, search mode, the Iron Volume level only effects the designed Iron/Non-Iron setting for those targets that have a TID of '20' or lower and that setting is not adjustable on the FORS Relic.

In Di3, the Tone Break' is used to set the break-point between the Mid-Tone and High-Tone TID ranges, so I prefer a 'Tone Break' setting of '65' in the Di3/Three-Tone mode so that most modern Zinc Cents, many early Wheat-Back Cents from 1909 to about 1920, and most Indian Head Cents from 1864 to 1909 will register with the Higher-Tone audio and not a Mid-Tone response..

Stoof-tabsallday
I hope you can make sense of this guy's.

In essence, is the iron volume a standalone channel that dictates sound of 0-20 no matter what's masked out, ...
No, not really. Iron Volume is assigned to ONLY the Iron TID Range targets that are accepted (above ID Mask) in the '00' to '20' Iron ID range in the Di3/Three-Tone search mode.

Stoof-tabsallday
what your tone break is set at and which mode you're using?
The Iron Volume level is assigned to ALL targets that are at or below the 'Tone Break' setting in all Two-Tone Discriminate modes, that are accepted above the ID Mask (Discrimination) rejection point..

Once you get the feel for the different functions and adjustment, the FORS Relic is one splendid metal detector to us for a wide-range of hunting needs. Once you understand the connection between 'Tone Break' and 'Iron Volume' controls for the different search modes, you will feel quite at-ease making quick adjustments for the site challenges you need to deal with.

Monte

PS: If I lost you on my explanation I am sorry. If anyone can meet up with me or give me a call, if they would like, I might be better able to demonstrate or verbally explain the uses of these adjustment functions.

3RINGER said:
this took care of some other Q's I had thanks too Spoof.

Good read, Thanks Monte for the break down to his Q.
You're welcome, and if you don't mind I will just direct folks to this post on Findmall:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?100,2305184,2305306#msg-2305306

This way they can read each Quote made separate from My Reply as it is a little confusing to folks the way it's posted here.

Now, to answer some of your questions:

3RINGER said:
Monte
Your break down is well appreciated. The 10x5.5 is the DD.
I like to use both the DD and Concentric 5½X10 coils.

[size=small]Side note: I haven't figured out why so many manufactures refer to their elliptically shaped coils backwards. :shrug: You shop for 4X8 sheets of plywood, or you need to build with a 2X4 or a 4X6 or a 1X2, so to me, search coils would be, or should be, measured the same. Even Makro and Nokta do it when they describe their 'OOR' search coils in the accessories as 4.7X5.2, so I call these coils 5½X10 even though they and others measure or describe these backwards. Just like the stock 7X11 DD's aren't an 11X7 DD. [/size]

3RINGER said:
Due to all the reading along with downloading the manual was able to work through the setting in the test garden. Learning what each of those settings will do for me and when they will be needed is what will take time.
Not enough people devote the time to read, completely from front-to-rear, their User Manuals. If they would, many questions would be explained or answered and we wouldn't see or hear about as many things on forums or open discussions. Well written manuals from Nokta/Makro. :thumbup:

I sure wish everyone would learn their detectors as you are working at so their in-the-field hunting might be more efficient and meet the needs and demands a site might require to deal with bad ground and/or the type and density of the challenging debris.

3RINGER said:
One thing I noticed on one of my complex targets...three dug square nails with a coin in the middle, 2 nails above and to the side and one level with and next to the coin...the relic has that familiar blinding of the tones. I heard the iron mixing with the high tone, I really liked this in the Racer and to see it in the Relic was great. Next to it I have this same set up without the coin. Iron grunt with a false here and there but when turning on the target the false was either moving or not there...back to the coin / nail group and the coin did not move and was picked up in all directions but one and in that case it had what I would call a scratchy high tone mixed with iron if that makes sense.
How we handle trash calls for a lot of patience, and learning how to select the best search coil for the type and amount of trash a site holds.

It then calls for us to learn and know the strengths and weaknesses of the different Discriminate search modes [size=small](be them a 2-Tone VCO enhanced or a 3-Tone processed audio response)[/size] so we are able to select the one which provides us the best performance for the coil used and type of trash encountered.

Dealing with any iron-based target is going to case us a lot of challenges because Iron/Ferrous objects have a different effect on an EMF [size=small](electromagnetic field)[/size] than a similar size and shape non-ferrous target. That's the main reason we have target Masking when hunting in iron infested sites. It's also a reason when dense iron locations are not going to be worked out until the iron junk has been dealt with, and that means removal.

The shape of targets cause problems, like many iron nails have the long shaft but a 90° positioned nail head. At times, this can cause a more conductive response and a higher [size=small](more than iron range)[/size] audio response and visual TID. Most of the "square nails" I have been finding in the old town sites I hunt [size=small](many of which are not squared but more flattish and not roundish)[/size] are easier to deal with and cleanly reject, if desired.

The closer to a desired non-ferrous target some ferrous junk might me, then more good-target masking will occur. The size, shape and orientation of iron junk to a desired target also has an effect on good-target masking. If positioned above a good target or below a good target, depending upon the type and size of the ferrous trash, you might not get even the slightest 'iffy' type good response form even a larger-size higher-conductive coin or other smaller object.

All we can to is formulate two or three known and 'practical' examples to use for detector comparison, that will always remain the same, and learn what strengths and weaknesses there are and know what we can do, if anything, to overcome them and achieve the best performance possible. then we have to keep in mind that there is NO 'perfect' detector, and that we will ALWAUS have good-target making as long as iron trash is present and ion a close-enough relationship with a desired target.

We can not duplicate every in-the-field possible encounter, so I suggest having two or three reasonable and repeatable 'test' scenarios to use, and then make a real-life effort to really learn more about our detectors and their abilities, and for me that means take them out detecting, be patient, and put in the time to learn how they handle different environments and various types of trash. Slowly and methodically work some areas that are just naturally littered and find what we can, learning along the way.

3RINGER said:
Working through the garden I also noticed something about sweep speed for the relic. Not sure if this is due to the higher kHz or just picking up more small items my other units are not seeing. This was done with the stock coil.
You didn't describe what you noticed about the Relic sweep speed. There are times and places, with a sparse amount of targets, where I will use a moderate sweep speed, but most f the time I am working in b=very trashy conditions, often with weds and brush to work around, and it really calls for a slow motion, methodical sweep speed to reasonably cover a hunt site and deal with challenging conditions.

3RINGER said:
Changed out to the 10x5.5 and heading back out now. This is the main coil I plan on using so this is what I'll work on the setting with. Can't see running Sen. high in the heavy nail area, would think less would do better. Is this what you are seeing when you hunt those type locations?
The 5½X10 search coil is a favorite of mine, and my 2nd most-use search coil size. I mainly hunt dense trash and heavy vegetation so the smaller 'OOR' on my CoRe and 5½" DD coils on my Racer 2, Gold Racer, Gold + and especially with my Relic are whet get the job done for me. Low-to-modest trashy sites, and especially those where the primary junk target is a nail or other wire-type iron, and the 5½X10 coil is put to work.

As for settings, we all will have our own desired opinions and selections, but for me, the gain is usually saved pretty high. My Relic turn-on Gain in Discrimination 3 is '99' and in a 2-Tone mode the turn-on setting is anywhere from '90' to '95.' Isn't it better to reduce it when hunting in heavy trash? Well, maybe at times, and for some people and for the coil used, and .... One thing I always try to do is hunt with the Gain as high as possible w/o good target masking.

If I have a low setting of, let's say, '50,' then I might wonder if there is any EMI or other source of instability around. I can slowly increase the gain a little at a time looking to see if and when I get to a setting that is unstable. Now I just turn the detector on and it is ready-to-go, but IF there is an EMI issue I will know it right away and can quickly reduce the gain just to the point of regaining stability. I have hunted this way for a couple of decades with several programmable models where I could store the turn-on settings.

3RINGER said:
After spending time with the known targets and working with settings I went to the location where some nice saves came from the iron. No where close to what I want to settle on but getting there slowly. Monte your right about the rusty tin. Rusty bottle cap showed to have a raspy sound at the start of the tone and at the end. It sounded like one tone with that effect front and back. Would not have thought this would pop out at only 3-4" with square nails showing in the loose dirt.
Rusty tin, and the crown-type, pry-off Bottle Caps are in that category as well, sure can be a real pain to deal with, but it is usually easier to use the smaller coil and hunt in the Disc. 3 Tone mode.

If the Disc. level is set low so you can hear iron [size=small](I run my ID Mask at '05' if I recall)[/size] and use the Iron Volume level set low [size=small](I have mine at '02' or '01' when it get too densely iron littered)[/size], then I can listen for the "duck squawk" audio you usually hear with a bit of the Low-Tone iron audio response just before, just after, or both when you encounter that rusty tin type flat iron or sheet iron. Usually it produced a noisy higher-tone TID from ± '84' to '96' but you can hear the Low-Tone indication blended in.

3RINGER said:
Need a better grasp on tone break and a few others. A Thank You to all that have posted info and vids about this unit.
Tone Break nis they to let us customize the settings we feel we need, so think it through and learn the benefits of how you would like it. I know I enjoy having mine set the way I do, and it adds some helpful audio for me and for where I usually search.

3RINGER said:
Monte can you go into how changing one will effect the other when it comes to settings from what you have seen?
Not so much about counter effect than just being alert to settings. I make sure I have the GB set for 'spot-on' to just a little positive. I noticed a too negative GB had performance issues at times, so I make sure I am 'on' to just a bit positive.

I never run a lot of Discrimination, and only rarely get it up to full ferrous-range rejection. I am almost always using a setting of about '05' as I like to hear if anything is there, and if it is iron, I carefully work the coil around it listening for any potential mid or higher Tone that could possibly be a partially masked keeper. I run my Iron Volume level at '01' or '02' so the Low Tone doesn't bother me so much when conditions have an abundance of iron present.

I just think it is important to learn the Relic, just like any detector model, to know it well and be aware of all the strengths and weaknesses, then determine what settings work best for you and the site conditions where you hunt. Pick a 2-Tone search mode or the 3-Tone search mode you favor that provides the nest good-target response when hunting bad target locations, and then keep things comfortable.

By that I mean to use the best search coils for the task at hand, don't extend the coil too far ut in front or take side-to-side sweeps that are too lengthy. A longer sweep often instills a faster sweep speed and that means you don't cover the area well and overlap sufficiently. Just adjust the rod so the coil is about 12"-18" in front of your leading toe, make a shorter-length side-to-side sweep, and I prefer to use a comfortable slower and methodical sweep for best coverage. Rely on the ears and eye to look at what caused a signal rather than get too wrapped up in visual Target ID when masking trash in present.

Just use the Relic as often as you can and be alert to learning all that it provides you. I know that's what I do, and I am loading my other vehicle as soon as I send this post off at 3:28 AM because I'll be heading off on a detecting adventure in search of an older site or two. If I can do my part and locate these places, then I have no doubt the Relic will do its part and help me hunt for any keepers that might still be left behind.

Enjoy a great detector!

Monte