Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Relic found near a 1750's Fort site ???

Posted this on the Relic site but since I'm usually reading the Minelab forum I thought maybe one of you would probably have at least a good guess. I found this near the site where a Fort from the 1750's stood. It measures 1 1/2" inches x 1" inch. It has teeth on the back which makes me think that it was attached to a belt or something. The coat of arms and the name Hamilton on it made me curious. I've found buttons, musket balls and coins that are from the colonial era at this site but not sure about this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

my guess would be a dagger or sword chape, if not its a strap end, something we get on the odd occasion here in the uk. check on the coat of arms this may give you a more accurate date, my guess would be late 1700`s to early 1800`s, heres a replica of a much older type of chape

"Neil in West Jersey" gave me an answer on the relic forum that it is the "Hamilton Family Crest." I googled the name and found that there was a Capt. Hance Hamilton at the Fort in the year 1756 around the same time that they staged the Kittanning Raid. I guess I'll never know for sure but it's nice to think that he was the owner.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=Hamilton+coat+of+arms&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

I hate to disappoint you, but I believe you have a piece from a modern era horse halter. As a former horse owner, I thought it looked familiar. It has the logo for a Hamilton Products halter, and a 1" nylon halter is shown with an end piece of the same shape as yours.

http://www.hamiltonproducts.com

Something didn't look quite right to me as far as the detail (lacking the ornate characteristics one would expect - almost modern in appearance) of the coat of arms, but it was just a thought as I was looking at it. Also the outline seemed to be too clearly delineated in white. The typeface (font) appears modern and is lacking the serifs or swirly script for at least the "H" that one would expect from a period piece. I suspect that you are indeed correct as to its origins C&R. :(

quite a find. If it's old thats great but if not...still a good one bud.