Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Relic hunting with SE

txbluzman

Has anyone had any success relic hunting with their SE? If so would you mind sharing your settings? I know the FBS models are well known for finding deep silver but they don't get much attention when it comes to relics.

You are correct - most folks see the Explorer as a coin machine, but I have used it for relic hunting exclusively for about 10 years now and it rocks. It gives you tons of info before you dig. I basically run my machine wide open in Iron Mask. I think I may have one bar blacked out on the left. Definitely use IM for relic hunting. I also use the ferrous tones. Learn to trust your ears and your graph will also help you decide what to dig.
I recently upgraded my XS to the SE Pro and love it. I used my same settings - wide open!
I also have a Fisher F75 and still run my Minelab more than it for relic hunting.

Thanks for the info Rebel. I think you are one of the few people that use an SE for relics. I started hunting relic oriented sites and ran into heavy concentrations of rusty nails. I then realized I needed to create a relic garden in my yard and start practicing and tweaking the settings. I will most likley run wide open, ferrous, etc.

Been using the SE for relic hunting since June '09. Really still learning the machine. I also run the SE in iron mask @ 30 sometimes 29. I use the pro coil. Sensitivity usually at manual 27 or 28. I think I can hear signals and tone difference better with conductive sounds. I've dug minie balls as deep as 12" a couple of times, but usually in the 8" to 10" range.

A friend of mine has been conducting some good tests with his SE. He told me that lower sensitivity settings (15 to 17) are working better for him.

I use the SE to relic hunt, almost exclusively. With the 10x12 SEF coil, I'm finding stuff at 13-14" at times. No problem with 8-10".

If the area is extremely trashy, the slow recovery speed gives the SE problems. The F75 LTD I use at these areas have trouble as well, with the constant iron grunting that becomes tiring to listen to. In a clean area, the SE is great.

I have had a lot of luck with them at finding relics. My settings always depends on soil conditions, the amount of trash and nails present and the amount of time I'll have digging a particular spot. I guess my most used settings would be..........
nail disc. pattern
deep on
sensitivity generally around 20-28 manual
gain around 7-9
threshold barely audible
conductive tones
volume max
limits max
variability max

tips to pass on would be not to only dig targets that read only good digits or cursor positions and try digging some of those iffy targets from time to time to get a better feel of what your detector is trying to tell you. Case in point.....I took various coins and relics and scanned them with my Explorer and wrote down the ferrous and conductive digits and made a list of all these good digits. I went and applied all that I had learned from the experiment out in the field hunting cw relics. Well as it turned out I wasn't diggin' as many of those good digits as I had hoped for. Then I started digging the odd numbers and the iffy and bouncy digits and realized that I was leaving a lot of good targets behind by being selective of the target id's being dug. There are many factors that come into play here like soil conditions{dry, wet, highly mineralized etc.etc.} depth of target, how it's lying in the soil{ on edge, next to other targets, next to iron and so on}. If I can hunt the same pc. of property many times I will try different settings and coil sizes. I will hit the area from different angles and different weather conditions. { when the ground is wet or dry}. It amazes me at how many times others have hit the same pc. of property and I have hit it and I can still go back and find something occasionally that we've walked over many many times. Now if I hit a spot that I can only hunt once or twice I will use more discrimination and use my time wisely to cherry pick the better targets. One thing to keep in mind is that low and slow is the way to go. I hope this helps out some.

Yep thanks for the advice. I'm going to plant about a million rusty square nails in my back yard and try to recreate some areas that I'm having problems with.

I agree with Digginrebel. The SE works well in cellar hole areas. I always hunt in IM with just a narrow bar on the left and ferrous tones. I've been pullin deep stuff as far as relics.
Bruce in Ct

For those of you that relic hunt with an Explorer, can you tell us WHY you choose the tones (ferrous or conductive) you do? If you hunt ferrous do you tend to ignore higher iron (lower tone) sounds? Are most of the relics not going to give you the iron tones? My impression is that "relics" are going to be all over the scale as far as ferrous and conductive. Am I right about that? Is there anything out there to help beginning relic hunters who use the Explorer?

Whether I am using Ferrous or Conductive sounds I will check out a ferrous reading by sizing it up in pinpoint mode, just to get a better idea of the target. I prefer conductive because I can hear the different tones better. Thats just me though.

I don't think there's a big advantage to choosing ferrous over conductive, or vice versa. It's all about what you are used to. I've never changed it from the default conductive setting, and I'm comfortable with it that way. If I changed it to ferrous, I'd have to relearn the tones...

There is advantages to changing from cond to ferr. Especially around old homes where there have been numerious roof tare offs. I prefer cond tones but will make the changes based on conditions. You dont really notice when relic hunting the tone differences... just because you are concentrating on everything but really low tones. Sometimes we spend too much time trying to NOT dig a target. The great thing about relic hunting much like beach hunting is you can concentrate on digging more targets with a little less trash. Because of the bounce you get on deep targets some people just concentrate on the cond number regardless of which they use. I noticed we have been concentrating on the digital screen why might that be? just easier to explain the targets?

Dew