Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Relic hunting with the GPX4800

After a lot of research I decided to buy the GPX4800 for the sites I have hunted. I new there were relics deeper than I was digging because I would get something deep every once in a while but never on a normal basis. The ground is mineralized where I hunt but it's not even close to VA's red dirt with 3 bars on the F75 being the highest I have seen so far. I have only hunted 2 times with the GPX4800 but I have several hours experimenting in my test garden with it. I am not gonna give measurments on depths of dug targets or even tell you it is much better than another detector but it does have its place when targets are really deep. I am doing pretty good with The bullet in the pic was undisturbed. The bayonet was just getting loose and was ready to pull out. Detector Depot was a lot of help answering question about relic hunting with the GPX machine and I must say when spending a large amount of money on a detector it really helps when the dealer knows the machine you are asking about. Thanks Detector Depot!

Hey Tommy, you still swinging the 4800? I'm still trying to learn mine in the relic fields mixed with iron vs 3 ringers. Any tips?

Bubba

I am still swinging the GPX machines. This may help!
If the target has multiple sounds meaning both high and low tones
or has a clipped audio at the end of the target I do not dig it. You will still
dig some nails and small flat iron but after some practice it will get easier
to tell most iron from good targets but it is never perfect. Bent nails, fence staples and
small stove iron pieces still fool me.

bubbadirect said:
Hey Tommy, you still swinging the 4800? I'm still trying to learn mine in the relic fields mixed with iron vs 3 ringers. Any tips?

Bubba

Bubba, I learned a trick from another forum that works like a charm. While Southernexplorer is right in his advice he gave, I will add do sweeps around targets listening for it to break. Bullets usually will give that constant "round" tone without any waivers or breaks (iron reject 7).
On a recent hunt with 250 hunters most of which were using gpx's with gain cranked up to 12-15(4500). I remembered a post about picking conductive targets out of iron and I found it really does work! Turn gain down to 3 and stabilizer up to 10-12. I picked many 3 ringers and more buttons out of spots loaded with iron that looked like minefields from previous dug holes. Once you hear a good solid high or low tone do a 360 around target with a tight sweep and study sound for break or waiver. Here are all the settings:

Volume limit:12
GB Type: gen
Special: Sens Extra
Man Tune: Adjust until stable or use noise cancel
Motion: Slow
RX Gain: 3
Audio: Normal
Audio Tone: 38
Stabilizer: 10-13 (experiment with this setting)
Signal: 17
Target Volume: 8
Response: Notmal
Tracking: Slow
Iron Reject: 6-7

Fletch you rock! Thank you very much for this info. I will definitely have to try this my next time out. I have done really well finding the buck & ball small targets, but the 3 ringers deep have eluded me!

Fletch88 said:
bubbadirect said:

Bubba

Bubba, I learned a trick from another forum that works like a charm. While Southernexplorer is right in his advice he gave, I will add do sweeps around targets listening for it to break. Bullets usually will give that constant "round" tone without any waivers or breaks (iron reject 7).
On a recent hunt with 250 hunters most of which were using gpx's with gain cranked up to 12-15(4500). I remembered a post about picking conductive targets out of iron and I found it really does work! Turn gain down to 3 and stabilizer up to 10-12. I picked many 3 ringers and more buttons out of spots loaded with iron that looked like minefields from previous dug holes. Once you hear a good solid high or low tone do a 360 around target with a tight sweep and study sound for break or waiver. Here are all the settings:

Volume limit:12
GB Type: gen
Special: Sens Extra
Man Tune: Adjust until stable or use noise cancel
Motion: Slow
RX Gain: 3
Audio: Normal
Audio Tone: 38
Stabilizer: 10-13 (experiment with this setting)
Signal: 17
Target Volume: 8
Response: Notmal
Tracking: Slow
Iron Reject: 6-7