Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

relic machines

Bowie

my relic hunts take place in agriculture fields, cotton,corn,soybean etc. after crops are gathered. Old home and plantation sites.
Via another forum,Ive become interested in iron disc and its range on various detectors. I am trying to learn,so please take it easy on me.
What I know of iron, mainly places with square nails and old farm implements left in the ground as far a detecting is to try and disc out the nails. That way when I hear a null,cracking up of a iron tone or even cracking up of a single tone when using a one tone machine, I know its a nail. That way, I know when I get a possible target that does not have this sound, it needs investigating/digging.
So now, I am learning of machines with a larger range in the iron and how one needs to learn of deciphering its language for unmasking non ferrous targets next to iron targets.
Also might mention,my incorrect mentality of just listening for something that is coin like, at least thats what I seem to have trapped myself into. I have found bullet,various pieces of lead,copper,bronze, but I still have that coin mentality.
Ok, now you know a bit about me and my present level in detecting.
What machines have you guys used/are using, (Im sure some of you use more than one) that are working out for you and do you consider yourself an iron experienced listener. I know, of fast recovery and higher frequency, I have never thought of a wider area of iron, ONLY, discing out of a small portion of iron and dealing with iron falsing, to listen for a coin sound.
Also, if anyone reading this from the other forum,please consider, I am trying to learn. Ive read this several times over there and I am trying to get a grip on it plus learn maybe a different machine may help out in this area.
I presently use an F75se in these areas and bought it specificly to use in these spots because of its fast recovery speed.
Thanks,
John

Bowie,

A manual ground balanced Tesoro detector, whether it is an older model like the Bandido or the new Outlaw, I'd bet they would unlock that site.

I have tried lots of detectors and nothing beats certain ED-120 model Tesoros in the iron, they are the iron kings. Even their entry level Compadre smokes a lot of high end detectors in the iron.

And no, I'm not a Tesoro schill, I just use what works.

one of the best machines out there for relics. I have had excellent luck with the Fisher Gold Bug and the Teknetics G2 in iron carpeted spots. I have tried other so called iron break tone machines like the %$ Pro and the Vistas. I always gravitate back to the Gold Bug with the 5x10 coil. I use my T2's for open areas that are not so littered. On the GB and G2, if you get a low/high tone in the hole, ya better dig it cause something is hiding in the nails and iron in the hole!!!.....Mark

AMEN & AMEN!!------You slow down with that GB Pro or G2 (doesn't matter which of the two of those detectors) with the 5 X 10 DD coil on board and it will slice thru those iron pits like you wouldn't believe!---That little 5" does a great job also.-----Why do I say that?---Because that combo just "flat out works"---and in the worst "iron hell" I've ever seen in all my years & many detectors.-----I'll never be without a GB/G2 for this type of hunting (unless something better comes along)---and that will take some doin!---------Del
morelic55 said:
one of the best machines out there for relics. I have had excellent luck with the Fisher Gold Bug and the Teknetics G2 in iron carpeted spots. I have tried other so called iron break tone machines like the %$ Pro and the Vistas. I always gravitate back to the Gold Bug with the 5x10 coil. I use my T2's for open areas that are not so littered. On the GB and G2, if you get a low/high tone in the hole, ya better dig it cause something is hiding in the nails and iron in the hole!!!.....Mark

If those square nails are badly rusted and in most cases they are they can very difficult to work around, them in themselves are a pretty good size piece of Iron and the rust halo around them makes them fall WAY up the scale on all the machines I've had.
So, if your relic hunting and you pass up that large of a piece of iron you could be passing up a keeper relic.

As for the Tesoro's mentioned above, they do seem to have a way of working around small Iron, but some of them may not get you the depth you need for deeper relics and the ones that can be super tuned to get the depth become iron magnets!! The Tejon may be good, its pretty deep and you don't have to super tune it to get there. But! the Tejon may drive you NUTS digging tiny stuff (real tiny), the Tejon has like 1,000,000X gain, so you could spend days digging lead bird-shot.

I still see a problem getting around nails as large as those square nails.

Mark