Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Relics and F75

TennRelic

Picked up a new F75 about 6 weeks ago. I'm familiar with FT detectors but need advice on best or more suitable settings for relic hunting. I typically hunt fields with old homesites and sometimes civil war relics.
I currently have settings at 70 sensitivity, 2f tones, 0 discrimination and mainly DE process.

I've had one of those rascals in my arsenal since they first came out. Great detector!

Nothing wrong with your settings. I do run the sen. about 90 as long as its stable and if a spot has tall grass/shrubs, I used the bp mode a lot. Tones are a matter of preference and as mainly a old coin hunter, I used 3 or 4h tones. Good luck! HH jim tn

Those settings should work well for you in the fields. Maybe try running the Sensitivity somewhere between 80 and 90 after you have some time on the machine. In the field areas that are not trashy, try the Motion All Metal mode and concentrate on targets that hit at about 35 and above. It's somewhat surprising how stable the F75 can run in the All Metal compared to Disc. Good luck.

Google Dankowski/F-75.I run one tone @ 6 disc 88 sensitivity and can’t tell much difference between that and all metal other than less noise.In all other modes the disc automatically starts at 15.

I've had one of those rascals in my arsenal since they first came out. Great detector!

Nothing wrong with your settings. I do run the sen. about 90 as long as its stable and if a spot has tall grass/shrubs, I used the bp mode a lot. Tones are a matter of preference and as mainly a old coin hunter, I used 3 or 4h tones. Good luck! HH jim tn
Thanks Jim for the info. Unfortunately, the F75 I bought doesn't have bp, but my T2 does. I'll definitely try all metal mode.

Thanks Jim for the info. Unfortunately, the F75 I bought doesn't have bp, but my T2 does. I'll definitely try all metal mode.
B p is nice, but not a game changer. I also run 0 disc. when in d e mode. The newer F 75 versions are, it seems, less chatty then the earlier models, so typically you can run sen. into the upper 80's or so. Have fun! HH jim tn

Picked up a new F75 about 6 weeks ago. I'm familiar with FT detectors but need advice on best or more suitable settings for relic hunting. I typically hunt fields with old homesites and sometimes civil war relics.
I currently have settings at 70 sensitivity, 2f tones, 0 discrimination and mainly DE process.
In my Detector Team I now have an F75+ I added about three weeks ago, and also got several accessory coils to pick-and-choose which I want to hang onto and which to let go. Just to provide a little more versatility and to 'complement' the other detectors and coils I use. I started detecting in early March of '65 and with 57 years now behind me, I can reflect back on what we've had and sure wish we would have had models like the F75's long ago! There's no 'perfect' detector, but the F75+, for me, adds a lot of options and some performance differences to complement what I use.

initially I was, like most of us back then, a Coin Hunter or Coin & Jewelry Hunter, thn in mid '83 I switched and 85% of my detecting time went from urban Coin work to remote Relic Hunting. ghost towns, homesteads, old resort or dance hall locations, pioneer or military encampments or fort sites, etc., and I happily took on plowed fields, pastureland and wooded locations, too.

My Disc. mode settings preferences:

Sensitivity: I keep it at '95' to '99' and only reduce it if there is EMI instability, and then just to the point it gets of stable.

Tones: In trashier sites and mainly for Coin Hunting, I use '3' the most. For plowed fields and most open-area searches, I like '2F' or '2L' if there are a lot of Iron nails. I like to hear the presence of Iron. If a site has a lower amount of shallower masking trash and I can take advantage of that to hunt deeper targets (If I suspect the location might have them) then I use 'bp'.

Discrimination: Typical urban trash or in a lot of ghost town type debris, I like '7', but for more open-area and limited-target hunts I drop to '0'.

Process: My start-up is generally 'DE' and I might switch around depending upon the hunt site environment and challenges.

Ground Balance: You didn't mention this, but because most of the typical locations I hunt more regularly have a somewhat similar ground mineral make-up, and also because many of them are very trashy and make it difficult to find a metal-free dirt area to Ground Balance, I make it a point to figure out the GB range for my 'regularly-hunted' sites and I set my GB for the higher number. Such as places around that have a Ground Phase read-out of '64' to '75' I will quickly do a Manual GB setting of '75' and use that for hunting. When I turn my F75+ on the next time I grab it, it turns-on at the ;last-used GB setting of '75' and I just start hunting If I venture off to a very different type of ground environment, from less mineralized to very highly mineralized, then I do a quick Ground Grab or Manual GB to establish a new working GB for that location. Any time I shut down and start back up, the 'Memory Retention' of that circuitry design has been restored at that last-used settings, including the GB.

I enjoy detecting so I liek to take advantage of any feature or function that keeps things Simple, Functional and provides the Performance i want to enjoy.

Be patient and put in the time to get to know your F75 well.

Monte

In my Detector Team I now have an F75+ I added about three weeks ago, and also got several accessory coils to pick-and-choose which I want to hang onto and which to let go. Just to provide a little more versatility and to 'complement' the other detectors and coils I use. I started detecting in early March of '65 and with 57 years now behind me, I can reflect back on what we've had and sure wish we would have had models like the F75's long ago! There's no 'perfect' detector, but the F75+, for me, adds a lot of options and some performance differences to complement what I use.

initially I was, like most of us back then, a Coin Hunter or Coin & Jewelry Hunter, thn in mid '83 I switched and 85% of my detecting time went from urban Coin work to remote Relic Hunting. ghost towns, homesteads, old resort or dance hall locations, pioneer or military encampments or fort sites, etc., and I happily took on plowed fields, pastureland and wooded locations, too.

My Disc. mode settings preferences:

Sensitivity: I keep it at '95' to '99' and only reduce it if there is EMI instability, and then just to the point it gets of stable.

Tones: In trashier sites and mainly for Coin Hunting, I use '3' the most. For plowed fields and most open-area searches, I like '2F' or '2L' if there are a lot of Iron nails. I like to hear the presence of Iron. If a site has a lower amount of shallower masking trash and I can take advantage of that to hunt deeper targets (If I suspect the location might have them) then I use 'bp'.

Discrimination: Typical urban trash or in a lot of ghost town type debris, I like '7', but for more open-area and limited-target hunts I drop to '0'.

Process: My start-up is generally 'DE' and I might switch around depending upon the hunt site environment and challenges.

Ground Balance: You didn't mention this, but because most of the typical locations I hunt more regularly have a somewhat similar ground mineral make-up, and also because many of them are very trashy and make it difficult to find a metal-free dirt area to Ground Balance, I make it a point to figure out the GB range for my 'regularly-hunted' sites and I set my GB for the higher number. Such as places around that have a Ground Phase read-out of '64' to '75' I will quickly do a Manual GB setting of '75' and use that for hunting. When I turn my F75+ on the next time I grab it, it turns-on at the ;last-used GB setting of '75' and I just start hunting If I venture off to a very different type of ground environment, from less mineralized to very highly mineralized, then I do a quick Ground Grab or Manual GB to establish a new working GB for that location. Any time I shut down and start back up, the 'Memory Retention' of that circuitry design has been restored at that last-used settings, including the GB.

I enjoy detecting so I liek to take advantage of any feature or function that keeps things Simple, Functional and provides the Performance i want to enjoy.

Be patient and put in the time to get to know your F75 well.

Monte
Thanks for the info Monte. A lot of good information.

I've never ran the all metal mode. But have found great results running disc. My unit is the old f75 ltd.camo with all the soft wear upgrades fisher offered . It's never let me down. It was tough in the beginning. I recently purchased a 6×10 coil for it used. Can't wait to try it out. Take the advice from the old veterans. You'll love it hhrickinmi

I have never owned the Fisher F75, but I owned the 1265 some years ago. I mostly hunt relics in Georgia and now use the Minelab Safari. I have looked at and read many reviews on the F75 being used for relic hunting. I always felt that if I ever bought another single frequency detector it would most likely be the F75. Most folks that own these swear by them and have done well with them. Continued Success to you.