Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Replacement Control Knobs for Aquastar, Barracuda, & Aquapulse AQ1B

In case anyone is looking for replacement knobs for their Pulsepower Aquastar, Anchor Electronics Barracuda, or Aquascan Aquapulse AQ1B, I have found the source of these after much searching. The knobs are made by Sifam Control Knobs out of the UK:

www.sifam.com

You can find Sifam products at Allied Electronics (Thanks for telling me about Allied, Mr. Bill!) Allied does not have pictures for Sifam products, so you will need to know which knob you need. There are other US distributors listed on the Sifam website.

These Knobs are just NICE, with lots of different options and colors. Together, with the correct potentiometers (which I am still trying to locate), and an APM Hexseal (also from Allied), they are a completely waterproofed solution for thicker cases such as Ikelite (lids). I believe the hexseals are IP68 rated(continuous immersion) where as the Vishay Sealed Potentiometers/Knobs, although very high quality are IP67(1 meter). This is a very clever design that stands the test of time.

Not that anything has broken on my Aquastar II - its bulletproof. I'm just thinking about replacing the Hexseals, it is 10 + years old after all. The nuts on the knobs are so corroded that It seems that the only way to remove it is to chop off the Pot from the inside and replace the whole assembly. I know this seems like a lot of work, but If I can find all identical parts, It would be worth it to maintain its seal and still keep it vintage!

This would also be a great way to waterproof a detector, and keep your controls accessible.

If anyone has any experience removing corroded pots/knobs, or knows which potentiometers are used for the Aquastar, assistance would be greatly appreciated. .

Thank You,
Brad

Digging deeper into the Sifam website, I see they make a special Nut Keys in different sizes for removing the different sized collet knobs. I'm going to give one of these a shot before doing anything drastic. I still would like to locate a source for the pots for future projects.

Brad

Update: The larger center knob had a regular nut instead of the security nut that is on the outer 2 knobs. I was able to remove the nut, the hard part was getting the knob off the shaft. Eventually, this was accomplished by very lightly tapping on the collet/shaft while holding the unit by the dial with a quick-grip vice. If you do this do it very carefully. Once the knob was off, it was apparent that the APMHexseal needed to be replaced. Examining it closely, you could see that it was not sealing tightly (pulling back in some places) all the way around the shaft, also the outside of the nut was starting to corrode. I cleaned the surface and shaft, and then installed the new hexseal (after applying light silicone grease). Regarding the pots, the bushing on them is very unique and probably custom made. If I ever had trouble with one I would attempt to repair it rather than replace it (google: The Secret Life of Pots). I will replace the 2 smaller knob hexseals when I obtain the correct nut key for them. The thing that needs to be done, besides replacing the main seal, is to change out the small o-rings in the Ikelite connectors. Once I do this, It should be sealed up good as new.

Brad

Hi Brad

Photo of operations ? :thumbup:
could be used for later

a picture of the Aqastar complete ?
Unity is scarce ..

on this site, products used by Eric

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/din-connectors/0486094/

3 pins connector
may be others ?

Yes, that is actually the site where I found the pictures of the knobs. I forgot who had mentioned it before, but it was you! Thanks. Allied Electronics in the US carries them, but they don't have the pictures.

Somewhere i had found the archived webpage of the Aquastar. I'll try to find it and post the link. Here are a couple more pics taken during the process.

Also, I have an small undrilled Ikelite case, that i'm going to use to waterproof a goldquest. I'm just waiting to get the right IP68 Switches, Pots, and HexSeals. When I do this I will post step by step pics.
Brad

Correction for the Barracuda: The Barracuda Knobs are not made by Sifam. They are made by Electronic Hardware Corporation (EHC). http://ehcknobs.com/
I'm pretty sure its the STP Soft Touch Knob, skirted with pointer.
I think Allied has them.
Brad

verylazybeachbum said:
Yes, that is actually the site where I found the pictures of the knobs. I forgot who had mentioned it before, but it was you! Thanks. Allied Electronics in the US carries them, but they don't have the pictures.

Somewhere i had found the archived webpage of the Aquastar. I'll try to find it and post the link. Here are a couple more pics taken during the process.

Also, I have an small undrilled Ikelite case, that i'm going to use to waterproof a goldquest. I'm just waiting to get the right IP68 Switches, Pots, and HexSeals. When I do this I will post step by step pics.
Brad

Please keep this thread alive......I wish I had purchased the Aquastar II all those years ago.

Tony.

Brad,

I sent you a PM.

Tony.

Quick update. It looks like the Aquastar uses the same case, and many of the same parts including potentiometers as the Garrett Sea Hunter 500. I do not know if the values of the pots are the same, i know the controls are slightly different, but it could be an option if you needed replacements or case. I have seen old broken Sea Hunter 500s pretty cheap every now and then.