Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Replacing an Ex-2 with a SE Pro What to expect?

Druid

I was trying to hold out for Minelab to release an Explorer 3 but finally broke down due to a sweet deal on a new Se Pro.
Those who have made the switch, is there much of a difference?
I am hoping for a bit better strength of signal in pinpoint mode, which is one weakness in my Ex-2.
Comments? Tips?

Thanks,

Drew.

Hello Drew,
I wish you the best of luck. My advise, keep the EII as a backup, you may want to go back to it. Most people here have probably heard my lament about the SE. I bought one four or five years back mainly on the advertised claim that it handled iron better. They quit using that claim shortly after I bought mine. I used/struggled with the SE for about a year. I have owned the original Explorer and the EII, so I had experience. Anyway, here is the simple but frustrating trouble I had. The SE would invariably ID small deep iron, like a square nail, as a coin. My EII will give a "good" tone one way on those targets, but once I turn 90 deg. and sweep again it nulls out (indicating iron). The SE would just say coin initially and at 90 deg. Very frustrating! When I finally switched back to my EII it was a huge difference - having trust in those deep, potentially great signals. I heard from quite a few guys that had the same trouble.

This is my opinion and experience. In order to combat this problem, I resorted to using the SE in ferrous tones (which helped). I do use ferrous tones in heavy iron, but I really prefer conductive tones (eliminates starring at screen). Soon after the SE came out, hunting in ferrous tones became much more popular. Gee I wonder why?

You will like the pinpoint. It is nice. I hope that you get a good one or yours works better than mine.

I have a $1000 plus backup machine that has not been used in four years. I will be selling it off soon to get something that I may actually use once in a while.

I did send it in to ML for a check up. They could not find anything wrong, fixated on finding the unit in pinpoint mode (I have no idea there), and acted like they had never heard of my problem before. They went ahead and put new "guts" in the control housing. I thought that was nice. Only used it once after that since I had completely lost confidence in the machine.

Ok, I spilled my guts again, sorry to be a stick-in-the-mud. It really galls me to spend over $1000 and find out it worked worse than the old machine. Many people swear by the SE. Most will tell you the "upgrade" is, at best, marginal.

Again, good luck and HH - BF

My SE, with the pro coil, does not repeat on deep iron at 90 degrees. I think you are going to love it. HH

I switched to the SE Pro from the XS. I think the SE machine is a little lighter, has better battery life, quicker response yet a poorer pinpoint. I still keeping the XS for a backup, but use the SE Pro.

Big Fang Coin Biter said:
Hello Drew,
I wish you the best of luck. My advise, keep the EII as a backup, you may want to go back to it. Most people here have probably heard my lament about the SE. I bought one four or five years back mainly on the advertised claim that it handled iron better. They quit using that claim shortly after I bought mine. I used/struggled with the SE for about a year. I have owned the original Explorer and the EII, so I had experience. Anyway, here is the simple but frustrating trouble I had. The SE would invariably ID small deep iron, like a square nail, as a coin. My EII will give a "good" tone one way on those targets, but once I turn 90 deg. and sweep again it nulls out (indicating iron). The SE would just say coin initially and at 90 deg. Very frustrating! When I finally switched back to my EII it was a huge difference - having trust in those deep, potentially great signals. I heard from quite a few guys that had the same trouble.

This is my opinion and experience. In order to combat this problem, I resorted to using the SE in ferrous tones (which helped). I do use ferrous tones in heavy iron, but I really prefer conductive tones (eliminates starring at screen). Soon after the SE came out, hunting in ferrous tones became much more popular. Gee I wonder why?

You will like the pinpoint. It is nice. I hope that you get a good one or yours works better than mine.

I have a $1000 plus backup machine that has not been used in four years. I will be selling it off soon to get something that I may actually use once in a while.

I did send it in to ML for a check up. They could not find anything wrong, fixated on finding the unit in pinpoint mode (I have no idea there), and acted like they had never heard of my problem before. They went ahead and put new "guts" in the control housing. I thought that was nice. Only used it once after that since I had completely lost confidence in the machine.

Ok, I spilled my guts again, sorry to be a stick-in-the-mud. It really galls me to spend over $1000 and find out it worked worse than the old machine. Many people swear by the SE. Most will tell you the "upgrade" is, at best, marginal.

Again, good luck and HH - BF

BF possible it was coil tuned differently from your explorer 2-more to like iron, but my point, where is nothing to gain except pin poin-depends if you use it, I'm not. I have SE boards still not tested by my self. good luck

Hummm... 2 for, 2 against.
Maybe I should have kept waiting!
Hopefully the Se Pro will show me some better performance than my Ex2, only the hunting will tell.

Thanks for the input guys,

Drew.

I've had the SE Pro for about two years, for me it's been a great detector. Learning what it is capable of doing with various coils and hunting situations is the key to bringing out the best the SE has to offer.

At first pinpointing was a little hard until I figured out how to do it, note also that the SE will ID your target in the pinpoint mode.

The processor in the SE is faster than the one in the Exp 11....

I have found enough silver coinage to pay for mine in the two years that I've owned the SE.....

I hope you have good success with the SE...........

John in Va

Hey Druid --

I will chime in here and say I've had a different experience than Big Fang Coin Biter. He said he was using the SE, he didn't specify the "Pro," so if that's the case, it may have been the stock slimline coil that was causing some of the iron issues. I did not own an older Explorer; the SE Pro is my first, and I do dig some iron -- but, I can verify (and it happened several times today, as a matter of fact), that when I get a high coin-sounding tone in one direction, and turn 90 degrees, iron WILL often either null from that direction, or the tone will get much "lower" -- i.e. not coin-sounding. This is using the Pro coil that comes stock with the SE Pro.

Hope that helps a bit,

Steve

sgoss66 said:
Hey Druid --

I will chime in here and say I've had a different experience than Big Fang Coin Biter. He said he was using the SE, he didn't specify the "Pro," so if that's the case, it may have been the stock slimline coil that was causing some of the iron issues. I did not own an older Explorer; the SE Pro is my first, and I do dig some iron -- but, I can verify (and it happened several times today, as a matter of fact), that when I get a high coin-sounding tone in one direction, and turn 90 degrees, iron WILL often either null from that direction, or the tone will get much "lower" -- i.e. not coin-sounding. This is using the Pro coil that comes stock with the SE Pro.

Hope that helps a bit,

Steve
biggest problem with Pro coil that you have in some situation turn 90degrees to be sure if its not iron, this is very bad if you hunt in iron because with explorers you can get signal from one angle and from another non. I say this because my all finds mostly is in iron and usually if I get signal from one point from another not-I know that I have some target. this is why I think explorers so good in iron-if you get signal you have target-very rare can be iron. with pro if you have to turn 90 degree you would have nothing. personally dont use Pro coil because Iron issue. Have XP goldmaxx power that in UK number 1 , but its the same you have to turn 90degree to be sure if its not iron, with explorer its not -if you have signal-you have, very simple.

Hey BF i told them to sell you a piece of junk so you would find all the silver. Ive had mine since they came out with the slimline and mine works fine... but there were some issues with them initially. However, since they came out with the SE PRO those issues were long gone. Personally.... i think its a good machine.... is it better than the II or even the XS? It may depend on your area, hunting style, or even skill at first. It kind of like buying the Etrac... im still not sold... im with you waiting for the SE PRO II. Hopefully they will lighten this heavy monster up a bit.

Dew

I used the Explorer II for the last 2 years and upgraded to the SE Pro this January.

I have nothing but success so far this year. Granted I detect mostly yards and a University nearby and most have not been searched before.

I have found 38 silver coins so far detecting weekends and a few hours when possible in the evenings.

I have found more nickels this year than last year; 3 Shield, 6 V, 4 Buffalo, and 4 War nickels. Some of these nickels were 10 inches at least.

I have found 26 Indians this year (27 all of last year) and many of these were 9 inches. Even found 4 large pennies this year and have not found any since I was a child.

So I am enjoying the SE Pro and feel it operates just as well as the Explorer II did if not a little better.

Happy Hunting!!

Hey Drew, I have an old explorer xs that I started with and have been using the se pro for the past couple years. The se does have better pinpointing for me, the slimline coil is much better and lighter, and the processor speed seems to be faster. I use the se pro exclusively now, unless I'm loaning it to someone else. They are both great detectors.

Well, right off the bat I am really liking that I can switch from Smartfind to Digital without scrolling through learn and edit.....
Now off to the field for a shakedown run.

Drew.