Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

replacing fisher coil cables?

Since Fisher has had the insulation crack and peal off the coil cables, has anyone replaced the wires yourself? sent the coil to Fisher? OR discarded the coil and bought a new coil? Thanks for your opinions. HH Gayle

Gayle Houtx said:
Since Fisher has had the insulation crack and peal off the coil cables, has anyone replaced the wires yourself? sent the coil to Fisher? OR discarded the coil and bought a new coil? Thanks for your opinions. HH Gayle

I've not known anyone that's actually had the cable replaced nor replaced it themselves. But, I've heard of the problem, what I've seen done is the cable stretched out (with help) and full length taped, the idea I had would be to get some GOOD duck tape and run it down the cable, then sort of roll it like a cigarette (joint). The few post that I've seen on here with the problem they just looked for a replacement used coil and used the taped up one until they found another coil.
Forum member "oneton" has the same issue with a older Coinstrike coil. He was looking for some cable with the idea of splicing it in just above the coil, I have a cable and offered it to him but I think is looking for another route if possible. The thing about the splice isn't just the connection to the coil, its not being able to replace the shielding in that area, well not very well that is.

Mark

Start looking for a new or used coil.

Ron in WV

I had pretty good luck with a paint on solution called liquid tape. I stretched the cable out and lightly coated it. Then I turned it around and coated it again. The stuff is going to keep cracking so covering it completely is the plan. I thought about splitting some tubing, like the aquarium tubing or auto vacuum line and putting it over it when I was finished. I got a good deal on a new one so I switched coils and quit working on it.

Don

I started with Gorilla Tape. That lasted a year, but then the cable cracked inside the stress member at the coil. I do have a replacement coil, but was just looking at the alternatives.
Thanks for the replies. HH Gayle

Heat shrink it. Undo the connect slide a full length of heat shrink then re connect the connector.

Gayle, I've had that PROBLEM with some of my MINELAB EXCAL Coil Cables, and I TRIED a product called RESCUE TAPE!! It comes in Several COLORS, and you can Purchase it at WEST
MARINE Stores for sure, and it is RATED VERY H-I-G-H-L-Y against HEAT/SALTWATER!! The Tape actually VULCANIZES after it SETS, which gives it it's VERSATILITY!! You have
to STRETCH the TAPE OUT as you WRAP the Cables!! I am an avid SALTWATER Detectorist that Detects up to Chest Deep in SALTWATER with my EXCALS', and ALSO C-O-A-T your
Coil Cables with a Thin Coat of SILICONE GREASE at least TWICE a Year!! That should help PREVENT the COATINGS from DRYING OUT!! Hope this HELPS, Les Robinson.

Happens on 1280x, Edge, Coinstrike coils and others.
Why they used such crappy cables, beats me.

Couple other options, coating the cable with liquid electrical tape and or Plasti Dip.

Silicone type sealant will break down in the sun and or peel off.

Some one suggested shrink tape, best one is double walled with hot melt glue interior. But, with any shrink tape, its not very flexible.