Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Replacing the decal on your At Pro screen

2wheeldevil

I had an air bubble between the screen on my At Pro and the decal that is on front of the screen. I obtained a new decal from my Mder dealer and proceeded to peel off the old decal. I used a hair dryer to heat up the decal before doing it but it did not go as planned on the first attempt. The decal came off but the thin plastic backing on that decal stayed on the screen. You can see the result on the first pic, the plastic film was still on the screen and the two screw heads were still covered with this plastic.
I heated it up again and the thin plastic film came off very easy to leave a fairly clean screen with no glue residue and the two screw heads were exposed.
As long as I had this off, I unscrewed the two phillips screws and pulled the screen out of the black control box. The computer controls are only about a 1/4 inch thick and attached to the back of the front screen. Inside is a large cavity with the battery compartment and the two ports for the coil and head phone connections. There are two electrical connections to the computer board that I unhooked for ease in laying the computer board flat so as to take a pic of it. There is a third wire to the computer board that I did not unhook.
You can see the four phillips screws on the computer board and they secure the computer board to the front plastic screen. There was some dirt in and around the push buttons(see in pic) and separating the computer board from the plastic screen enabled me to separate the push buttons from the plastic screen and really clean up the plastic screen and the push buttons.
Also, around the outside of the plastic screen is an O-ring set in a groove which serves to seal the unit from water entering. Took out this O-ring and cleaned it up and then applied a thin coat of silicon grease to this O-ring before replacing it in that groove. This silicon grease also makes it easier to slide the front screen back into the black control box.
Used a hair dryer to dry everything off before putting it back together again.
I used soap and water to clean up the plastic screen before replacing the new decal-looks brand new now. First pic is screen with the plastic film still on it. Sec pic is screen with plastic film off and showing the dirt around the push buttons. 3rd pic is the cleaned up screen. 4th pic is the computer board taken out of the control box.

The question is how did the dirt get in around the push buttons. The rubber push buttons are held in place by a small plastic insert behind the push buttons that wedges them into the plastic screen to form a seal. This seal around the outside of the rubber push buttons prevented the dirt/water from getting inside the unit. I imagine that pushing the buttons while under the water may have opened a leak around an individual button and let that dirt/water in at that moment. I am thinking it is probably a good idea to NOT push any buttons while you have the unit under the water-just my thoughts.

If you want to see a video of this go to YouTube and type in "Metal detecting, cleaning inside of At Pro".
I think this guy has an "international At Pro" which is slightly different from the one I have. The two screws to take out the screen are different.