Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Replacing the internal Kruzer battery in the long run. An alkaline battery question as well.

JASONSPAZ1

I know some of the other manufactures of amphibious detectors with an internal Li-PO battery, have come out and said in the long term the internal battery can be replaced. Does Makro, also offer internal battery replacement in the long term of ownership? And in regards to the ad on alkaline battery pack,which is brilliant by the way. When the alkaline pack is attached to the Kruzer, does it automatically override the Kruzers internal battery Li-PO battery regardless of the battery being fully charged or not?

Thanks so much in advance.
Jason

The alkaline pack will override the internal battery when plugged in. I doubt you will be able to replace the internal battery unless you don't mind voiding your warranty, and since the internal battery is a lipo, you wont need to worry about battery memory issues like you would with a ni-cad. I'd bet that that internal battery will last the life of the machine.

+1 Dr. Witty

The best thing you can do to preserve battery is to NOT keep it plugged in all the time when stored. This will kill your cells WAY faster than not plugging it in.

In general, newer lithium batteries have a number of charge cycles before they degrade. In your phone for example, you generally charge it once a day (or more) and start seeing degradation after lets say 500 - 600 charge cycles. Assuming the detector is similar, if you hunt an average of 2x per week from April through November (here in the US), that would be +/- 64 charge cycles (assuming you deplete the battery on every hunt).

4 years = 256 charge cycles +/- on average

In all likelihood, you'd be MORE likely to kill the battery by letting it sit uncharged from lack of use than to "use it up" from charge cycles. Even heavy users (4 hunts per week per week or more) should get 3-4 years before degradation based SOLELY on cells dying. That said, having the battery pack is a pretty nice option.

If you can hunt enough to degrade the battery pack in less than 3-4 years, you've done A WHOLE LOT of detecting.

CS

I should clarify that a little degradation will occur over time less than 500 cycles and more severe degradation (or battery's end end of life) is likely to occur after 500 cycles. I am, again, basing this off of a phone battery (iPhone actually since it is not easily user replaceable) as comparison.

I am not an engineer and don't know the Multi Kruzer battery specs, so someone please correct me if I am wrong if you have more specific information. My *assumption* is that the MK uses a battery similar to a 2017 - 2018 era smart phone.

CS

I never said you should keep the battery plugged in when storing it. Where did you get that from my post? If someone is worried about the lipo running out, just get the battery Pod. You're not going to gain much weight and you may get better balance from the machine. Personally I have no fear of the internal lipo dying.

Not saying you said that, Dr. Witty. I was agreeing with everything you by the "+1". :surrender:

I was just trying to add some additional info and wanted to stress not to plug in your battery all the time while stored as the #1 rule.

CS

Ahh, sorry Coin-Star. I guess i don't know the symbols.:blink: I've got the battery pod but I haven't used yet. I'm wondering if it will outlast the internal battery in 5khz. mode.

Yeah I was searching in 5khz last weekend a little bit and it does drain the battery! The external battery would definitely come in handy there!

Here is a link I found where someone does a teardown on the MMK. It doesn't seem terribly complex and seems like everything is labeled clearly on the daughter board. Battery looks pretty standard with standard connections.

Opening the makro multi kruzer pictorial review to make repairs

CS

Very nice, thanks for that link Coin-Star. I had a problem with the buttons being intermittent on my Makro Racer 2. I opened the case up, cleaned out the dirt and shot the buttons with some electronic contact wash. They came back to life as good as new. I don't see where that would be an issue with the Kruzer though, Still opening a 750 dollar machine is a bit harrowing. I also had to replace the pinpointer/Ground balancing toggle switch. That was an easy task and it was Dilek approved!