Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Request for help, along with confession...

cdsmith46

I have hunted now for about 25 years, starting out with a Fisher 1266 and progressing through Garret, Bounty Hunter, Tesoro, and finally landing on Minelab. I bought and used the early models of the Minelab Sovereign, and eventually owned 3 different models. I also used the more advanced Minelab models that came out after the Sovereign. What I learned from Minelab is that it was/is possible with some degree of clarity to figure out what metal is being found, based on audible feedback, etc. No. they were not perfect, but I did find an awful lot of stuff.
That being said, Minelabs have gotten out of my price range almost entirely, and I have, at a friends suggestion, bought a Tesoro Cibola. It is light, which is WONDERFU,L and it seems sensitive enough, but I cannot hear clearly enough to differentiate different sounds clearly. That is totally my fault, as I futzed with model airplane engines as a teenager, and then got into civil war reenacting... with an artillery unit! Well, duh, Smith!
I wear hearing aids in both ears, and they help a bunch, but I still have trouble with individual sounds, things which seem most important to the sport. I like my Black Widow headphones a bunch, if that helps any. Can anybody out there, especially someone with honest experience in this area, give me some help? You don't have to like Minelab, but don't hold them against me. Help me where I am now...

For about $15 or so Tesoro can change the Cibola to a high tone for you.
Don't know if will help with your hearing problem, but I believe for people like you that is why they have this option.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1749978

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1734769,1734844

IMHO...the problem you face is going from multi tone to a single tone machine. Tesoro sounds are basically a mono tone with very SUBTLE differences where the sound (beep) is basically the same but they kinda hit harder or softer depending on depth, size of target, type of metal and your amount of discrimination. If your tesoro has a notch like my GSII you can set the notch where anything below the notch has a low tone and anything above has a higher tone, I don't know about the Cibola? You are gonna miss all that info the multi tones gave you but with time you should get better with the Tesoro. There's a reason they are called "beep & dig". IMO...the advantages of a Tesoro are speed/recovery time/weight. They are FAST and pinpoint like a laser. If you are a numbers guy and go by the rule of "the more you dig...the more you find" then the Tesoros shine. If you want to sharpshoot or cherry pick then IMO the multi tones are the machine to have......

I understand your hearing loss, exposure to siren noise as a career firefighter for the past 30 years has left me with hearing damage too. With that said, I use and love my Tesoro Tejon. It's output tone is adjustable and I set it based on what tone I can hear the best. That was the main reason I bought the Tejon over other detectors. Only after using it did I realize what an awesome machine it really is.

Oldguy said:
I understand your hearing loss, exposure to siren noise as a career firefighter for the past 30 years has left me with hearing damage too. With that said, I use and love my Tesoro Tejon. It's output tone is adjustable and I set it based on what tone I can hear the best. That was the main reason I bought the Tejon over other detectors. Only after using it did I realize what an awesome machine it really is.

That tone adjust is a great feature isnt it.

REVIER said:
For about $15 or so Tesoro can change the Cibola to a high tone for you.
Don't know if will help with your hearing problem, but I believe for people like you that is why they have this option.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1749978

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1734769,1734844

That's what I suggested to him. Also, knowing that the tone is programmed into the IC chip. Tesoro might this one time be able to program it to a tone frequency than
he can he the best. That is why the Tejon is has that great feature. Wish more detectors had that feature.

Neil said:
Oldguy said:

That tone adjust is a great feature isnt it.

I am in the same boat and the Tejon adjustable tone works for me.

Ron in WV

Are your hearing aids Bluetooth capable? A friend of mine has a set that are, he has connected them to his phone and uses them, it will ring and he is the only one able to hear it. He has a mike on the controller that he uses, can't even tell he is on the phone till he starts talking, phone will still be on his desk.

I often wondered if you could get a Bluetooth transmitter and hook it up to your detector and use the hearing aids?

It won't help with the single issue tone of a Tesoro but, the sounds might be better than headphones. Don't know about bluetooth lag though.

I tell you what...this is a huge opportunity for some mfg to take advantage of...lots of posts about dealing with the frustration of hearing loss on these Forums...even a deaf guy was posting on here for a little bit, and had to have a machine modded with LED visual triggers instead of tones..
A guy can hunt blind, as night hunting is, but it would be pretty hard to hunt deaf...Great advice from all.:clapping:..a good mfg. should take the hearing status of their end user world into account, with a.sincere effort to help a hearing impaired hunter such as most of us are that have lived longer than we figured we would, and would have taken better care of ourselves if we thought that was even a remote possibility....
Let us know if you come across a good solution you old artillery firing reenacter you..:rofl:.
Mud

oneguy said:
IMHO...the problem you face is going from multi tone to a single tone machine. Tesoro sounds are basically a mono tone with very SUBTLE differences where the sound (beep) is basically the same but they kinda hit harder or softer depending on depth, size of target, type of metal and your amount of discrimination. If your tesoro has a notch like my GSII you can set the notch where anything below the notch has a low tone and anything above has a higher tone, I don't know about the Cibola? You are gonna miss all that info the multi tones gave you but with time you should get better with the Tesoro. There's a reason they are called "beep & dig". IMO...the advantages of a Tesoro are speed/recovery time/weight. They are FAST and pinpoint like a laser. If you are a numbers guy and go by the rule of "the more you dig...the more you find" then the Tesoros shine. If you want to sharpshoot or cherry pick then IMO the multi tones are the machine to have......

I copied this thread and visited a Ham Radio Operator down the street from me...He stated that Ham's deal with single tone and what you want is an easy fix...Might not be the omes your are looking for, but it is a start...He stated if you attened a monthly meeting there will be someone who will be able to help you out....Just a suggestion...