Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Request info regarding scoops...

:help:
I have read posts, looked at specs and have tried several different type scoops for wet sand/shallow water type detecting. I would like comments (if you would, please) reference my conclusions and also some weight/size info on the different types.
SCOOPS WITH HOLES FOR DRAINAGE:
1. Stainless drains better than aluminum or galvanized.
2. The larger the holes the better they drain, but much greater chance of loosing small finds.
3. Stainless scoops are heavier than aluminum of galvanized, but will last longer with less, to no corrosion/rust problems.
SCOOPS WITH WIRE MESH FOR DRAINAGE:
1. Drains better/faster than those with holes.
2. Stainless wire mesh drains faster than galvanized wire mesh.
2. Wire mesh type scoops are lighter than those that use holes.
3. Wire mesh "baskets" are easy to crush. Most NOT made for "foot assisted" scooping.
4. Recently found stainless wire mesh scoops with re-enforcement for "foot assisted" scooping but appear to be nearly as heavy as those with holes, if not more. (unable to get actual weights from most manufacturers or retailers of most all scoops)
IT SURE WOULD BENEFICIAL to me (and I am sure to others) if "y'all" would share info on your thoughts/recommendations, as well as the type, size and weight of the scoop you use. I'D VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT!

There are pro's and con's on all scoops. The ss will last you longer but are heavy. The draw back of ss wire mesh is it's welds are not strong so they fall apart after a while.The aluminum is lighter but does not cut the sand like ss. Also in current the ss will stay in place where the aluminum want to go out from the target. A wire scoop will work in the wet and sift the easiest. It also can be use in the dry and water. The Aluminum will also work everywhere but you have to dump and take smaller scoop with target to sift easy. The bottom line is use what works for you. I carry many scoop for different hunting conditions. We make a 5 and 6 inch ss bucket with Galvanized wire mesh that is good for wet and water but the weight is between both ss and Aluminum of the same size.hope this helps and we do give weights on our site. www.rtgstore.com, good luck,Joe

I appreciate your response.

Do you know the weight of the 700SS? (and others?) I have not been able to get an answer except on one web site I found that the 710SS (6" version) is 7 lbs.

Thanks,

What kind of SS is used for the scoop and the handle?

I have worked in the chemical industry where 316SS tubing is used quite a bit. The tubing is not that hard to bend. We used mostly 1/2" tubing with probably 0.049" wall thickness. Does the larger diameter furnish the required handle strength or is heavier walled tubing used or, a different alloy altogether?