Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Research from the Sky,

Old California

A 1858 Butterfield stage stop has eluded us for over a decade, an orinigal 1892 map shows two creeks, side by side about 1/2 mile apart. One of these creeks, supposily had an 1858 Butterfield stage right beside.

Today, only one creek remains. And it's the orinigal Setters Creek now known as Cross Creek. Sometime after 1892 and early century, these two creeks were joined together and Cross Creek was covered for farm land and Setters Creek became Cross Creek.

It wasn't until two years ago, figured this out. The fun part was determining were the old creek ran, it's been covered and now farm land. From the surface, the human eye sees farm land. No trace, soil is level no signs of an ancient creek. However, from the Sky it's clearly visible the ancient creek is there.

Been using a drone for research, at first was something I picked up for sport flying. After a long hunt at a relic site, pull out the drone and fly for an hour or two. With today's technology, these are almost crash proof and are very advanced with GPS and return if signal is lost. Fly for long distances, cell phone screen visual or use googles. Sky's the limit, endless possibilities for both sport or research.

Those of you from California and are familar with this Stage Stop, well here's the reason this Stage Stop has eluded us all these years. It's on farm land, somewhere underneath the flight path on two of the several attached pictures. If you look closely, you'll see the ancient creek running for miles underneath farm land soil.

Supposedly, from research it's X amount of miles from a known location. This hidden creek under soil is that that x amount of miles, look at both drone flight paths flying over the ancient creek, it's between these two points.

Google earth and a drone, surprisingly can help with research.

HH, Paul

Your right Paul. It looks completely different than driving it.

Is that your pickup in the top right photo?

Nice looking drone.

El

Hello El,

Yes, one of those pictures my pickup is parked along the side.

That particluar picture had to chop it down to unload, auctally chopped down all pics to get them to upload. Pics are not all that great, sorry about this.

They are about to start planting here soon, was out there this morning before work. Hopefully have a window to detect here in two weeks, drone flying is obstructing my detecting time. Auctally found another hobby just as fun as metal detecting, Never leave home without a drone if I'm out on a metal detecting hunt.

We will use it at button hill, will video tape the flight along the hills and old rd.

See u soon El!

Paul

Paul, you never cease to amaze me. Great post. Fun research. I didn't know you'd gotten into drones. And great post on how that can help in researching.

This location doesn't have anything to do with the spot that you and I discussed awhile back, does it ? The stage stop that was said to be "xx # of miles east of such & such marker plaque" ? Remember you said you were going to take a look into that ?

Not drones..... UFO's with the small 'grey ones' inside them.:look:
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/d-alien-crouch-position-render-grey-crouching-77421397.jpg

Hello Tom,

Different stage stop, this particluar one is near my home but from the air both look similar based from the creek and surrounding terian. Different counties, 9 or 10 stage stops between them.

I flew RC airplanes years ago, built and flew them. That was an expensive hobby, and too much maintenance to keep them going. Today, electric drones are so much better. Fly for long periods, and very simple to fly. You'll be getting one of these in the future, once you see how valuable they are.

Thanks Tom,
Paul

Hello Tim,

Luckily, have meet a lot of property owners with large properties. They're ok with metal detecting and allow me to fly a drone, I do respect their privacy and don't fly near homes.

Have two local friends who also metal detect and fly a drone, when we get together it's usually at an old settlement with lots of open land. So we hunt and then fly afterwards, two great hobbies.

Take care Tim,
Paul

Thanks Chris,

I'll try and learn how to post videos, have some great air footage.

Thanks again,
Paul

Thanks digging,

Auctally, not that expensive to get a good drone. Tough part will it survive the learning stages, start off with a good cheap model then work your way up.

Thanks again,
Paul

That is totally awesome! I thought about using a drone to find cellar holes in the fall or early spring but you took it to a new height ;-) Thanks for sharing the awesome post.

You will be like Tom, CA. now! That's how He gets all them Seateds and Gold coins.
No wonder He is always happy I would too if had them spots! Ha.

hum , how come some of you guys use BFO'S and TR'S so much? . I Been wanting a TR detector with a small coil , I think it would work well around the poles in a tot lots, what do you guys think about that?

Hybridcruiser said:
hum , how come some of you guys use BFO'S and TR'S so much? . I Been wanting a TR detector with a small coil , I think it would work well around the poles in a tot lots, what do you guys think about that?

Re.: the question as it relates to BFO's : I can't speak to the ability of BFO's in places like that. But as for TR's : Yes: They will have a superior ability to get closer to things like poles in a tot-lot. Another example is for under bleachers (set on dirt/hardpan) : That is a JUNGLE of "poles", after all, right ? And power-house VLF machines will simply "blare off" on all the adjacent poles . Because the coils are sensitive @ top, bottom, and sides. Not to mention being more prone to masking.

But an all-metal TR sees through small iron (nuts, bolts, nails, etc....) better.

Of course this means a compromise in depth and TID. So it's a perpetual trade off.

I remember doing a commissioned hunt for a cache, said to be buried near the walls of a house. The next-of-kin had rented a detector to try to find it. But to no avail. I was able to find it, by purposefully de-tuning my machine , to enable me to hunt closer to the walls. Because the walls of this house were plaster & lathe, which was re-enforced with chicken screen interior. So the normal power-house VLFs couldn't get within a foot of it, before "blaring off". So I purposefully detuned (lower sense, click-to-re-tune, etc...). And could perceive a stronger signal @ just one point along the wall.

So there's an example of how stronger is not always better. Same logic for TR's and BFO's when it comes to certain venues. Eg.: searching near poles/beams, searching for caches, etc....