Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Research tools

TheOldMan

Using the web I have found some good detecting sites over the years by way of SanbornMaps and HistoricAriels. I use to talk to the oldtimers for info and now I am the oldtimer - Lol!

Yeah! I even use mapquest...you cant zoom n much, and the info is dated sometimes, but you can see schools and playgrounds..you can sort of hunt a town from the air, and then go over there and check it out. I look for those little neighborhood parks in neighborhoods where theres a lot of backyard swimming pools....(means well to do) .soccer fields, fairgrounds, ball diamonds, etc...it is really great when travelling with the detector, a fellow can zip off an interstate exit and hit a spot quick.
Mud

From the land of the Bluenose....yupper me bouy the old folks in the community are the best source. All you have to do is listen.....the tales they can tell!

Don't forget Historic Map Works.com. I get a lot of info from that site.

I really struggle with the Sanborn maps for some reason. It must just be my ignorance and I need to work on them some more. I have enough spots to keep me busy at this time and can't seem to get to them when I want to. If all the stars in heaven line up so I can go metal detecting, either I have an episode with my back, chest pain or Mama's sick or somebody needs me more than I need to go metal detecting. I have permission to work two spots that were old swimming holes and found out about another last night at church, but just can't seem to find the time or feel like dirt fishing. A book I bought from the local newspaper about the history of this county and two others reminded me of another place that used to be a public swimming area and picnic grounds, but is private now and I have to run this owner down and see if I can get permission from him. HH.

Leslie(nova scotia) said:
From the land of the Bluenose....yupper me bouy the old folks in the community are the best source. All you have to do is listen.....the tales they can tell!

Isn't that the truth Leslie. Nothing like an old farmer to hear the good stuff. And some great points\tips guys. I like the general idea of well to do areas Mudpuppy. Some of my best old coins, interesting spoons, etc. have come from huge old house yards. I drool when I find a huge semi mansion that has been converted to apartments. Usually the yards are less than pristine and permission is easily attainable with a decent approach. Other than that I google sites or go to a regional library, or at least get books on a regions\towns history. Going to city hall and getting copies of their oldest city maps tells me were the first houses, parks, dumps etc. were. I was in the library archives here in town yesterday and asked for their files on Pick-nicks and fairs. I learned that their were dedicated trains that took hundreds of people on Sundays to a beach in the twenties. And that some of the local churches had large annual fairs on their properties. It is often the obscure info that I stumble across which helps me to put some extra oldies in my pouch. I sure don't know it all and learn from everyone all the time. But a couple of years ago it hit me hard that research pays off. In my second or third year I was finding fur trade rings from the late 1700's. I had little skill, lots of luck, but primarily I did a lot of research then followed through. I also learned to spread out my search area if no results. I have been off a specific site, as I realized later, by a few hundred yards. Slowly expanding my ground search until I get consistent hits has helped me a lot. I remember 2-3 years ago I bumped into a 20's penny in a farm field. Ok, nice, but let's move on to were I really thought the action was. Months later when I couldn't find my butt with both hands I went back to the penny spot. I slowly expanded then gridded the spot. Between a buddy and myself we found around twenty five plus silver and copper coins from the turn of the century to the mid twenties. We firgured from the lay of the land and all the ancient .22 cases that it was a spot for local farmers to shoot gophers and take a pull off a jug (found a few broken). This coin spot was accidently found close to my main researched spot. What a cool hobby eh ?
:bouncy:

well I just came across a website called Find my street - it has close up color ariels that can be rotated around in case trees are blocking the view from one direction. If any one has knowledge of any other sites besides mapquest, google map, historicariels or findmystreet let us all know.