Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Resent find

fdl

I finally reserved permission to hunt an old homestead that I've had my sites on all summer. A young couple bought it with plans of fixing the old house up & moving in next year. They mowed down all the high standing grass/weeds around the house & sheds which made it real easy to detect plus they don't care about me using my large shovel to dig holes. I've only been there twice using my Digger coil & checked the front & south side-going real slow. So far I've found this nice little locket with no markings on it & am not sure of the material but it's not silver-maybe pewter? It hit on 42-44 while jumping down to a 38. I'm running in AM &99 with tracking on. I also found 2 wheaties,2 clad dimes & a nickel. Oh ya this is Wisconsin so I've found my share of beer caps & cans.

Sweet locket Bill! :thumbup:
It could be pewter. Hard to say w/o testing it.
ID isn't a good way of determining what it's made of, in part because size is in the ID equation.

Old Longhair said:
Sweet locket Bill! :thumbup:
It could be pewter. Hard to say w/o testing it.
ID isn't a good way of determining what it's made of, in part because size is in the ID equation.
OLH.....don't really understand what you mean by "ID isn't a good way of determining what it's made of". Could you clarify?

ID assignments take size as well as conductivity into account. It's why a soda can bottom @ 12+ inches will ID and sound off as a shallow quarter.

Old Longhair said:
ID assignments take size as well as conductivity into account. It's why a soda can bottom @ 12+ inches will ID and sound off as a shallow quarter.
O.K. got it. I thought you were talking about identifying the type of material.

fdl said:
I am. A soda can's material isn't anything like a quarter, but the size, shape, and reflection of a deep can bottom confuses the machine into ID'ing it incorrectly.

Old Longhair said:
fdl said:
I am. A soda can's material isn't anything like a quarter, but the size, shape, and reflection of a deep can bottom confuses the machine into ID'ing it incorrectly.
Sorry OLH.....by ID'ing the type of material I was thinking about the locket once I had it in hand,trying to figure out what it's made of.

Your locket being a bit larger than a quarter, and being of a material that is not quite as conductive as a quarter, adds up in the equation as a quarter would at a similar depth.