Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reservations about Fe12.....????... They're misplaced......Don't worry.........MattR.UK

I understand in England with all you cut and small hammered silvers, you want to dig it all at almost all sites.. So whats the difference of where the ferrous reading is.. to expand the capability of a detector and then limit that info is not an improvement.. for the extra money you dont want them to take something away that gives us true info not what some designer thinks we should be digging.. Why not just add a mode that does it.. conductive, ferrous and then add a "twelve mode." . we know they can do it, the explorer has it..

In the US we have a much less limited number of coins we are looking for, and the odd ball ones are easy to remember where they read... but now they will be pushed up into the same ferrous reading as other coins along with aluminum and who knows what else.. more or less forcing you to dig everything even if you dont want to... So how does this help? if you dig all signals you will get all targets no matter where they read.. Some people only have an hour or so to hunt and want to concentrate on good target readings.. ones they know are good targets.. I for one pass many many targets in trashy parks.. but I get a few good ones while doing so, sure I miss a few good targets I am sure, but if I spend all my time digging all then my number of good targets goes down.. might as well use a non target ID machine.. that's what separated the explorer from the rest.. all the info.. you can use it or ignore it.. but at least that was up to the operator and not a person in development telling us what they think we should do..

Say I am only loking for silver, silver almost always read less ferrous than aluminum, except very large aluminum, like cans and can tops... but its very easy to tell the size and ignore a can... besides the good tone on a silver dime.. however now by moving silver back into the small aluminum ferrous area, a medium size of it is going to read exactly like a dime.. screw caps for one are going to be very very close, since they have almost the same conductivity, now they also have the same ferrous reading .. I can tell them from silver with the combination of audio and smart screen.. not sure I will want to pass them now, forcing me to dig more junk..

Any way like I said I will get one... I will have to change into conductive mode when hunting in high trash, and also try and concentrate on audio alone, if its performance is that much better than the explorer I will still be happy I got it, but for the life of me can not see why they would take away valuable info from those that actually use it.. and why the heck expand the ferrous mode with more possibilities then not allow the machine to report what it sees? that may have helped distinguish good from bad even more.. maybe your cut pennies would read a few numbers away from almost all types of trash.. even if you dug it all, you can still get a good feeling about it being a half penny.. that part of the fun of the explorer knowing for sure when you are over a good coin.. and knowing for sure when its a piece of tin...

At almost all my sites I dig all targets eventually, I like to get the better readings first, you never know when permission may be taken away, or perhaps you only have one day to hunt a site... nothing like the feeling of getting over one you know is good.. now every coin is gonna be this might be a coin, but it may not be

I should be given the best target identification the machine can come up with then it should be up to ME to decide what to do with it. Unlike you I will NOT be buying one till this is corrected, and with rumors on this forum about the SE Pro being discontinued I won't be buying one of those either. So, in a weeks time I have gone from getting the SE Pro, to here comes a new machine hang on, to the new machine isn't all its cracked up to be, and now my original choice is on the chopping block... NO machine. Guess I'll keep banging away with my Excal2.... Joe

now with the E-TRAC I can pretty much dial in coins and not dig anything else which is what I personally want. I can also hunt much faster and not have to listen to all the midtones and everything in between to figure out what to dig. Granted there are certain distinct sounds for silver and indians for example but the high tone falsing of iron is essentially eliminated from what I have seen so far which has been must less a P.I.T.A. for me personally. I may eventually sell my beloved CZ-70 and just use the E-TRAC due to these very reasons. I certainly understand the need and desire to have the ferrous tones work like the explorers on the E-TRAC...I'm frankly shocked that that is not an option but I'm trying and already appreciating the simplification for coin hunting...almost CZ-3D Enhanced Mode-like but in a different way. Just my thoughts and humble opinion...HH

P.S. I'm going to take the E-TRAC to some really early Ohio first settlers sites soon and see how it does. I would also like to take it to an 1838 farmsite that I've hunted to death and pulled out several rare and key date coins if it's still there and not bulldozed yet.

Jim upstate NY said:
I understand in England with all you cut and small hammered silvers, you want to dig it all at almost all sites.. So whats the difference of where the ferrous reading is.. to expand the capability of a detector and then limit that info is not an improvement.. for the extra money you dont want them to take something away that gives us true info not what some designer thinks we should be digging.. Why not just add a mode that does it.. conductive, ferrous and then add a "twelve mode." . we know they can do it, the explorer has it..

In the US we have a much less limited number of coins we are looking for, and the odd ball ones are easy to remember where they read... but now they will be pushed up into the same ferrous reading as other coins along with aluminum and who knows what else.. more or less forcing you to dig everything even if you dont want to... So how does this help? if you dig all signals you will get all targets no matter where they read.. Some people only have an hour or so to hunt and want to concentrate on good target readings.. ones they know are good targets.. I for one pass many many targets in trashy parks.. but I get a few good ones while doing so, sure I miss a few good targets I am sure, but if I spend all my time digging all then my number of good targets goes down.. might as well use a non target ID machine.. that's what separated the explorer from the rest.. all the info.. you can use it or ignore it.. but at least that was up to the operator and not a person in development telling us what they think we should do..

Say I am only loking for silver, silver almost always read less ferrous than aluminum, except very large aluminum, like cans and can tops... but its very easy to tell the size and ignore a can... besides the good tone on a silver dime.. however now by moving silver back into the small aluminum ferrous area, a medium size of it is going to read exactly like a dime.. screw caps for one are going to be very very close, since they have almost the same conductivity, now they also have the same ferrous reading .. I can tell them from silver with the combination of audio and smart screen.. not sure I will want to pass them now, forcing me to dig more junk..

Any way like I said I will get one... I will have to change into conductive mode when hunting in high trash, and also try and concentrate on audio alone, if its performance is that much better than the explorer I will still be happy I got it, but for the life of me can not see why they would take away valuable info from those that actually use it.. and why the heck expand the ferrous mode with more possibilities then not allow the machine to report what it sees? that may have helped distinguish good from bad even more.. maybe your cut pennies would read a few numbers away from almost all types of trash.. even if you dug it all, you can still get a good feeling about it being a half penny.. that part of the fun of the explorer knowing for sure when you are over a good coin.. and knowing for sure when its a piece of tin...

At almost all my sites I dig all targets eventually, I like to get the better readings first, you never know when permission may be taken away, or perhaps you only have one day to hunt a site... nothing like the feeling of getting over one you know is good.. now every coin is gonna be this might be a coin, but it may not be

Hello Jim", and thanks for taking the time to express your valued opinion.

Can I firstly say without any reservation, that I agree with your trepidations, and can assure you that I am NOT missing the point regarding this Fe12 matter.

I acknowledged that in my posting, and in prior posts.

I felt exactly the same reaction when 'ChrisOhio' published his figures. He was the first to do so. ( Which he kindly did in answer to my PM'd request. )

It was so glaringly evident that at first we thought it was some 'error' or 'choice of program anomaly.

It quickly became apparent that it was a 'feature' and not a fault, when another E-trac owner (dealer?) confirmed matters.

Dejected, my original excitement and anticipation was blunted, to say the least.

But, I then took a deep breath, and gave some thought to the situation.

CONCLUSION..........I wasn't going to let the Fe12 constraint, blind me to what I think are the many fine points now offered by the new E-trac.

I referred back to my previous Explorer experiences, and data.

The question being, 'Could I live with this apparent limitation, and exploit the many apparently improved facilities of this NEW detector?'

I think the answer is "YES"....EVEN THOUGH I'D PREFER TO HAVE NORMAL Fe identity services RESUMED. (So we are agreed on that fundamental point)

Now, can I ask you for a favour?

Can you please help me by listing those US coins (and their dates) which you say are now all squashed into one amorphous number....Fe12.

Obviously, they have to be in the old EXP valuations. Hopefully, that's no problem, for I think I can convert them to E-Trac values.

When you've done that, then we can discus in a little more SPECIFIC details, just what coinage and their FE values, it is that you believe are involved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You mentioned silver coins..........' their Fe now being similar to ali trash ', so potentially being difficult to identify-/-find.

Your provision of data (EXP ratings) will help me understand more specifically, your dilemma.

quote:- .....however now by moving silver back into the small aluminum ferrous area, etc...end quote

Thanks in anticipation for any specific feed back on the US coins involved..............Matt.

but the ferrous readings they report have changed... everything that is12 will have the same tone.. I assume anything lower will be lower and anything higher will be higher.. I guess anyway.. the 12 tone certainly will make me stop and check every target thats for sure..
no more watching the girls and nature while swinging.. gotta keep an eye on the conductive readings :)