Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"reset required"

adak

My EXP XS shut doen on me while I was coin hunting in a park. A few days later I got it going again but the screen said "reset required". I started using the machine after a few adjustments without reseting it. I seemed to be a lot more powerful. I was hitting 7 inch coins and they were sounding off like they were an inch deep. The next day I reset it by holding the power button in a few seconds so that it went back to factory settings, then I set it up to suit me as usual. But it did seem like a different machine when I was running it prior to resetting. I almost feel like trying it get it shut down again so that I can run it without it being reset! Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any input would be appreciated.

Never heard of that one and perhaps Minelab USA can help...I do know of a few fellows that had problems and shut it off, held the power button down to go back to factory settings and then put in their favorite settings and worked just as before...I believe it reboots the computer and does help in certain situations...

Actually, all that does is restore factory default settings. The "reboot" procedure is here:

http://mikesweather.metsite.com/detectin/html/resetting_the_explorer_s_compu.html

I will also add that I haven't ever tried it. But I've often heard it said, so assume it works.

One wonders why it isn't in the manual???...very similiar to reboot of an XLT. Indeed setting it back to factory resets cures many problems and does work as I have done myself and have heard of many similiar instances. In either case the more one knows may indeed save a trip to factory for repair...Good feedback....

I had the same thing happen to mine. I was hunting and the batteries were low so I installed the recharge batteries that came with the machine...which I had charged prev...after about five mins. it started shutting off and I tried a couple of times to start it back with no luck. After getting it home I found that the recharge batteries were bad...I installed a new set of alkalines and the detector would start but was getting the re-set required when first turning it on and then the screen was blank...after awhile of fooling with it while holding it under a bright light I could see that all the settings had gone to 0 including the contrast...which made a blank screen... I held the start button in while turning it on and everything was fine again as it went back to the factory settings.

Thanks for thew input to all who responded. This machuine is forever teaching me new things!

Actually, yanking the battery just shuts your machine off. A call to Minelab will confirm this. I called them when I first seen this procedure and was told this has nothing to do with rebooting your machine. Just kills the power...thats all.
HH Gilly in Illinois

I have no idea and several years with a Explorer never had to reboot in this manner. I do know the XLT rebooted in a similiar manner and helped more than one detectorist out. One wonders anyone ever reboot in this manner..I do know taking the unit back to factory resets cleared up a problem for me and have heard of others doing the same so would keep this in mind if they have any problems..Guess we are looking for someone who did reboot in this manner. Various Home pages I have read have usually been right on the money and sometimes info even gotten from the factory is not valid due to misunderstanding or misinterpetation.Lets hope we never have to use either..Believe me if I ever had problems would try both rather than have down time..

There was also a procedure to do this with the DFX, in a similar fashion involving the removal of the battery while the unit was running. Supposedly would reset the processor.