Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

response time question

surfdog

Hello all,
I was wondering if some of you who have owned both the Quatro and the Safari can tell me your experiance comparing colocated targets. I had a quatro and I liked the machine. However I found it to be very slow resetting in trashy areas as far as nulling out over co located targets (even with the smaller coil). I believe I read that the Safari has a faster processor. Do any of you feel that it is signifigantly improved over the Quatro? As well, any input in general about improvements over the Quatro is appreciated.
Good Hunting
Bill Tracy

Hello, Surfdog here is a video of that hope it helps....[video]http://www.mlotv.com/view/463/minelab-safari-recovery-speed-test/[/video]

And here is me thinking that the E-Trac is a better choice because of it's superior target seperation! How much better does it need to be than that.
Mick Evans.

I don't see how the clip shows recovery speed? If the iron is completely discriminated out, there would only be the single penny signal regardless. Now, place a penny and a dime side by side and test it. That would be a true test. I don't get it. Onus

Onus said:
I don't see how the clip shows recovery speed? If the iron is completely discriminated out, there would only be the single penny signal regardless. Now, place a penny and a dime side by side and test it. That would be a true test. I don't get it. Onus
Recovery speed is a detectors ability to reset itself after discriminating a target(nulling over the target the detector is set to discriminate out) and then be able to detect a good target in very close proximity to that target.
If you put a penny and a dime next to each other you would definitely detect both targets as neither one would be discriminated out. Almost any detector can give two target responses on two different targets as long as neither is discriminated out.
Some detectors take longer to reset after discriminating out a target therefore missing a good target in very close proximity.
Dan C

I agree 100% dan. That's exactly the problem I am having with my Safari. It takes forever to reset and the first signal you get is what you are stuck with for a very long time, or so it seems a lot longer than it really is. If I set a penny and a dime in close proximity it will pick up the first one it passes over and won't pick up the second one for about 3 additional sweeps. By then I have moved on a couple of steps and "lost " the second target. Onus

Onus,
Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your Safari. I hadn't been following the topics here for a while and noticed you had posted your difficulties on another topic.
The Safari is definitely not the fastest processing detector as far as the TID goes. I don't know how long you have been using the safari, but noticed you have read Andy's book. I have only had mine since January and probably have 60 hours on it so I am not a pro but hoping I can help.
I assume you are using High Trash Density, this is a must. I use it 100% of the time regardless of how clean the park I am hunting is.
I try to hunt with as little discrimination as possible and I only use TID numbers, no icons.
I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing or not, but I do notice the TID number doesn't change as fast as I or probably most would like it to when detecting multiple targets. But when you are hunting, just hunt by tone, when you get several target responses in close proximity, try to isolate one by just sweeping the coil a few inches over that target. When you sweep one way, stop right after you hear the target response and let the TID reset, then go over the target the other way and stop right after the target response and check the TID. To make this clear I am stopping just 2-3 inches after the target as to not hit another target. If there are lots of targets around I may switch to all metal and see what the heck it is that is trying mask my good target and then I can separate better.
I am sure you are hunting real slow, but I can't stress enough how slow you sometimes have to go with the safari.
I really like my safari but at times it can drive me a little nuts depening on my state of mind. Lately I have been using my whites to go over a park I have been hitting hard with my Safari. Sometimes its just nice to use a detector with one tone. My whites is not a fast recovery machine but it kicks butt.

Good luck with the safari.

Dan C