Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Restore/Reload Program function not working

duclaw

Hi All,

I've been away from the forum for a while, but I'm still around and finding a good bit of silver lately! With that said, I was wondering if anyone is experiencing problems with restoring a program, be it from the library or from the deleted folder. Basically my V lets me pick the program I want restored, but when I highlight restore and hit enter, nothing happens. And yes, I do have room in my standard programs folder for a new program as I currently only have 8 and I believe it can hold 10. I'm wondering if this is an isolated problem with my machine or is it a software issue that needs addressing. Any help from the White's folks reading this is greatly appreciated.

Jim

I haven't seen anything not work. What exactly are you trying to do? Restore a deleted file? Or restore a program that exists with the factory settings? Or...? Let me know, and then I will try it out and see if I can figure out what's going on for you.

That was fast ak....you all at White's rock! Ok, here's how I stumbled upon my issue. I created a new program on paper and wanted to load it into the standard programs listings. At the time I already had 10 programs in there(according to my docs on the V that is the max amount you can have there....the rest "less used" programs need to be either deleted or moved to the Library) so I "deleted" the meteorite program from the standard page knowing that I could always retrieve it down the road if I wanted it. I did that with success, loaded my new custom program with success, I then decided just recently to remove the prospecting program from the standard list and bring back meteorite....that is when I ran into problems. I go in to restore/reload and highlight meteorite in the library folder and then scroll down to "restore" and hit enter, but it appears to do nothing. When I look for it in my programs folder there are now only 9 programs there...prospecting and meteorite missing. After realizing this I tried again several times to bring back either it or prospecting to no avail. I hope that makes sense. I'm not in front of my machine right now but can be later today(I'm east coast) if you want me to physically run through it again.

Hmmm.

Well, I had a modified coin program. (Showed a +/- after the name - I had saved my settings to the loaded program).
Expert menu/program/RestoreLoad/
Name = Coin
From Library Program = Coin
pressed Load.
It is back to the factory defaults

I made a new program which I called AB. Deleted AB.

Expert menu/program/NewCopy/Erased Program
Checked Use erased name
selected erased file name
pressed Create.
My erased program is back.
There is another way, but it has a lot more steps. Basically make a new program with the same name, then restore this new program (with the same name) from the erased program.

So, I'm not sure where the problem is that you are running into, let me know and I'll try to help.

I'll be in front of my machine later and I'll try it again, but again, I tried several times to bring back a factory program from the Library into my main programs menu and just couldn't do it. Hopefully you will be around as I will post my results immediately. As always, thanks for the help you provide here.

You deleted the program from the list. Because it's been erased, you don't have it in the list to "restore to". Where you need to go is the new/copy option rather than the restore/load option.

Expert menu/program/NewCopy/Erased Program
Check: Use erased name
Select: Meteorite
press Create.

That should get it back for you. Hope that helps.

(You could also have made a new program called Meteorite and then restored the erased Meteorite program to the new Meteorite program, but this is easier).

OK that makes sense, but I also tried going to "restore from deleted folder"(I think that is what it is called....it is the last option under Expert menu/program/RestoreLoad) and then highlighted the deleted program and then hit restore and nothing happened. Again, this will be the 1st thing I look at when I get home in a few hours.

OK AK, after reading your last post I think I'm understanding why I'm unable to do what I'm trying to do.I have to have the name of the program in the standard programs listing in order to "restore" it back from anywhere, be it the Library or the deleted folder. I think I got it. OK then, one last question and I'll get out of your hair. Lets say I made a custom program I called "Quarters Only". I then for whatever reason deleted it and did NOT save it to the Library before doing so. In light of your prior information, am I then able to create a "new" program, call it "Quarters Only" and then restore it from the deleted folder? If your answer is yes, I think I have this puppy figured out!

I think something did. But, it will have restored to the program listed at the top. So, say that Coin is the name of the program on the first line (that's the program mine comes up with by default), when you went to restore the erased program, it put the meteorite settings in the coin program. Look and see if Coin has the +/- after the name (or whichever program is in the box at the top). If so, that's where it got put. You can either rename Coin to Meteorite and then restore Coin from the library, or go through the steps I listed above to generate Meteorite and still restore Coin from the library (restoring coin is in the restore option).

OK, it all makes sense to me know. As always, thanks to ak_1234 and all the fine folks at White's for their unmatched level of support. Now that I'm able to utilize all the features correctly that are listed under "Programs" it does bring up one final observation. I'm able to put more than 10 programs under the standard programs listings(I currently have 13). When I read the manual I take it that the max is 10 and the rest, less frequently used programs must be stored in the Library and moved into the standard listing when desired. Am I simply misinterperating that? If so, what is the maximum amount of programs that can be stored there?

I think you interpreted correctly. But, I think what made it into the manual was old information. I just made a bunch of new programs and it looks like I can get 26 in before I get the max program message. There's lots more room in the library than 26, so if you ever find yourself with more than 26 programs, you can store your seldom used ones in the library still. I don't know if 26 is a hard and fast number. I will have to ask on that for sure. That's just what my machine limited out at.

Awesome! Put it this way, I highly doubt if I'll EVER need more than 26 programs to choose from, but to know that there is room for a lot more is all the better. I really love the versatility of the V! I have a "tweaked" version of the factory Deep Silver program that has found me 5 silver coins in a 2 acre field that until the V, I would have sworn was hunted out by myself and 2 other friends. We hit that field at LEAST 30 times over 12-15 months with our XLT machines and pulled a total of 4 silver coins during that time. I've beat that already in a span of a few months and less than 6 visits! I can't wait to try out my newest creation...a program that concentrates on the Nickel range only utilizing the single 22.5Hz frequency and the Super 12" coil. Basically a "nickel version" of the deep silver program. BTW, my deepest coin in that field thus far....a Standing Liberty at 11.5"! All 5 have been over 7"! I got to get the newest pics posted. I'll try to do that soon.

duclaw I am from Pittsburgh, PA and have been having very little luck with the V trying to make a modified deep silver program for this area to use on my machine - just wondering if you would like to share your settings? My e-mail is edwardsdalejr at gmail dot com.

edwardsdalejr said:
duclaw I am from Pittsburgh, PA and have been having very little luck with the V trying to make a modified deep silver program for this area to use on my machine - just wondering if you would like to share your settings? My e-mail is edwardsdalejr at gmail dot com.

Depends if you are a Steeler fan or not!:poke: I'll shoot you a PM with the settings as soon as I get time...work interferes with my social life! Please keep in mind that in my opinion, the machine/program is only one part of the puzzle of finding good stuff. Location is a HUGE factor along with knowing/learning the machine AND especially the program you utilize. The reason I mention this is if you haven't used the factory "Deep Silver" program or if you have used it and don't quite "get it", then my tweak of it is going to be useless to you. Just like the factory program, my version utilizes mixed mode. You need to learn how it functions as compared to straight forward discrimination and getting use to mixed mode may take a while. If fact I know people that never use it because it "tells" you what it is "seeing" quite differently than what they are use to and they simply don't understand it or they don't take the time to do so. OK, enough rambling...back to work!