Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Return speed to threshold

JCPinCt

I have been reading all these posts on Quatros and Explorers and it seems some say the return to threshold is very slow on the Quatro as compared to the Explorer 11, XS models, or the Sovereign series. I would like to know from someone who might have had all 3 machines, as to what they would rate them as to the return speed. I have been using a Sovereign for years and am thinking of getting one of either of the newer 2 machines, but I like the return speed of the Sov. and doubt I would like a very slow return machine. I usually hunt beaches, and I don't like to hunt very slow.

If you don't like to hunt very slow then avoid the Quattro!
The Quattro is an awesome beach machine but needs to be used in all metal and worked slowly.

Hello James. I have been a long time user of the sovereign range since the XS came out .the Quattro is slower but I guess there are a few things you have to put up with new technology .the Quattro is a deeper and a good unit once you learn to drive it. There is more scope for fine tuning than the sov ever had. I had the use of the latest sov GT for about two months and to be honest there was very little improvement in the new detector. What I have done was tie a small washer in one of my joggers and wave the coil across the washer and carry on if you are impatent. Stan Australia

Hello James. Sorry for making that remark to you instead of the person before you. I have to agree with you on every point Stan Australia.

Do you have to use it at a slower sweep then the Sovereign? And why the All Metal mode? Does it lose that much depth penetration in the other modes?
So by what Stan says, this detector doesn't go any deeper than the Sovereign GT when in the normal beach modes?
I have a Pulse Power Aquastar11, and if I wanted to dig everything, I would use this pulse detector, I want something with discrimination also.
Thanks, John

ello John. You miss read my comment about the depth difference what I wrote is that the new sovereign that I had on loan foe a couple of months early this year was no deeper or better than the sovereign XS that I have used over the last 10 years or so the Quattro is by far a better machine that is why I bought one and a 15 inch coiltek coil. I hope this will clear up any misunderstanding in my write up. Stan. Australia.

Thanks Stan, that clears that up.
Now if someone could answer the other questions I might yet make a decision between the Quattro and the Explorers.:bouncy:

Hello John, if you're not a patient person when it comes to speed recovery, then the Explorer 2 is the way to go. But you need to bear in mind, the Explorer has a more complicated learning curb than the Quattro, and in my opinion some of the settings seem to be more gimmicky than anything. I believe that down the line, Minelab will address some of it's idiosyncrasies. That's not to say the Explorer isn't a great machine, because it is. I use both machines. But I really favor the Quattro, have used it for well over a year, it's a great powerful and deep machine, it's a bit more user friendly, I prefer the LD screen on the Quattro to the screen on the Explorer. At the end of the day, I do find more coins and relics with the Quattro, on the goldfields, than the Explorer, but the Explorer will go slightly deeper, and you can discriminate more finely with it.
HH Angela:detecting::)

I figure the larger display is one of the better factors of the Quattro, and I guess I will just have to slow down a bit. I understand these machines are a bit heavy and I guess slowing down might be a good idea anyway. I am 63, so slowing down a bit won't hurt. Anyway, I bought one today and should have it in a few days. If I don't like it, I guess I can always sell it. Thanks all for the inputs.

The Quattro is a great unit, I have not noticed the slow speed when using all metal or using the cross saves as shown in Andy S's book. I have become a fan of not really using any discrimination. This has eleminated the nulling and time back to tone when I discriminated. The tones really let you know what is going on, I don't mind hearing the junk along with the good. You should be happy with this unit, make yourself a sling and you can swing all day.

It sounds better all the time. I am used to a SovXS. w/sunray meter, so I should not have any problem with the tones. Good hunting, and thanks, John

Good choice on selecting the Quattro. I had doubts about my choice of the the Quattro for several months after purchasing it. Especially about the slow return to threshhold. I've adapted to the machine, improved my detectorist skills and now I am a happy camper who loves his Quattro.

The tone is music to my ears. Minelab tech support recommended I use all metal mode. I refused initially to except that. Guess what I am using now. Thats right, all metal mode.

Angela, I've seen your post about using the all metal mode and you are right on.

When I use all metal mode I get so many tones I couldnt begin to decipher them all...plus I have to turn my sensitivity down to about 5
just to slow it down...I luv my Quattro but maybe Im doing something wrong

Rotty23,

I doubt you are doing much wrong. Sounds like you are just hunting in trashier areas.

Remember one mans ceiling is another man's floor. You may find areas that you can use nothing but all metal, but for now it just sounds like your in a different kind of area with more junk.

HH....................HDJ