Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rev War Finds with the 15.5" coil! :yo:

DigFella

I hit a site on Sunday that we have been pounding since 2000. It was a small field that Rochembeau's French Revolutionary troops camped before their march to Yorktown in 1781. It has produced numbered buttons, many dropped musketballs, and Colonial coppers over the years. Hunted hard by us and others, the keeper finds have been harder & harder to come by. But, it's still a fanstastic place to test new detectors for depth, and also big coils. Thus, I borrowed the big Racer 15.5" coil to try here. I tried one before, & made the mistake of having the rod all the way out to the last hole & thought the coil was too heavy. Shortening the rod half way this time allowed me to swing closer to my body, & not put so much stress on my shoulder. Though still a beast, I quickly found the extra weight was a trade off of getting to targets no other past units could see. The coil is so sensitive I was running it high gain with some chatter. So sensitive you gutta watch where you carry your shovel. My first signal was a dropped musketball in the bottom of the plug. My settings were 2 tone, gain 87, disc 35. My buddy questioned disc that high, but I upped it there simply to cut out extra noise from nails having already decided to deal with some sensitivity chatter. I was digging lots of deep lead droppings, or "camp lead" from the making of musketballs. Great signs as small buttons or cut Spanish silver sounds the same. I was digging alot of "1 way" signals, knowing this place has been pounded. I also used little flags to mark "iffy" targets & had my buddy read them with his unit & I had a top end unit that either didn't hear the target at all or read as iron. A jumpy signal that I saw 72 turned out to be a 1780 Spanish Silver one Reale which made my day! :cheers: My very next signal nearby that read in the 50's was a Revolutionary French Navy button. Two fantastic finds back to back. I felt like I was playing with house money after that, & the rest of the day continued to dig deep lead, dropped musketballs & flat buttons. Last couple times here I hardly dug a thing with another detector. The 15.5" coil definately has it's place for open area's. Video soon :blush:
HH

Man that machine with the large coil attached looks like a street sweeper! I have the big coil with the CoRe but not the Racer. I've been inspired! Good digging there man..........

Great job and getting those finds there me be more a little deeper

I hunted with the RC40 coil at an early California (late 1700's) Spanish era site that's been pounded for 40 years and found the RC40 to be a very good coil. It's heavy, but name one 15.5" x 13" that isn't?

At any rate I found it to be a very good coil, sensitive to small targets, and it pinpoints spot on (better then the 11" DD as a matter of fact!).

I ended up with a Phoenix cuff button, nice large flat button, and an Indian fertility pendant, along with a multitude of old mission era green copper bits, musket balls, etc. It's definitely a good coil, but it gives you shoulder a workout :detecting:

Awesome is spot on! Liking the results as are you I bet. Great job on the finds.