Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Review of the X70 at the Diggin' In Virginia V hunt...

Donnie

Two days before the DIV 5 hunt, I received my new X70 from JW at KellyCo. I put it together, turned it on, turned it off, took it apart and packed it for the trip.

Now for those of you that did not attend DIV 5, there are not words to describe how bad this ground can be. Best description I've heard is "powdered iron". It's not that your machine falses or anything but it is what it does to the overall ability of the machine. Just as an example, the X70 indicated every minieball I found as being -8. This is normally an iron reading. I had several people tell me that the White's MXT was reading minieballs as "Hot Rock". The best and only way to hunt in this ground is in all metal and dig all signals.

Day 1

I started out setting up the X70 in all metal mode with a sensitivity of 15 and no threshold. With this setting I found 4 minieballs, a scabbard tip, a bayonet scabbard throat and misc other items. I was getting good depth on the minie's (6"+) and had no problem locking onto signals. The machine did not false very much but due to the ground conditions the pinpoint mode was useless.

After lunch, I pulled out the manual and read up on Prospecting mode. I decided to hunt in this mode with a threshold hum and the sensitivity set to 20. The key that made me switch was the manual stating that Prospecting mode as designed for highly mineralized ground. I immediately could tell a difference. The signals locked on harder and it was very easy to locate the targets in this mode. I also noticed a considerable increase in depth. I started digging minieballs at 8"+ (several were measured using my Predator Tools relic shovel and the hole depth was 2 inches above the blade). I ended up adding 15 more minies and a watch fob to my total.

Day 2

Setup the X70 in Prospecting mode the same as I had the day before. Once again I started to find minies. What was interesting was where I was finding them. I hunted the hill right by the tent first and dug quite a few from there. I next moved over to the corn field in the area where Bebo was hunting. I stared digging minies among the dig holes that were already there. For those not at the hunt, this are had been hammered by a lot of people. Again, these minies were deep. Based on what was found in that area, I should have stayed but I moved on through the corn field. It was at this point that I decided to crank the X70's sensitivity up to 24. Wow, what a difference. I started consistently digging deep minies that gave me just a whisper of a signal.

I also need to mention here another technique that was working for me. When I got a signal, I would hit the mode button and go back to all metal. If the signal locked on -8 then it was usually a bullet or button. If the signal locked on -6 then it was a piece of iron every time. This saved me some dig time.

I ended day 2 with 21 minies and several buttons.

Day 3

I setup the X70 just like I did the day before. The machine continued to work well with the most noticeable aspects being great depth and great separation of signal. This day was strictly a bullet day with a total of 41 minieballs.

Overall Impressions

This being my first time to use the X70, I was very impressed. I wish I could point out a weak feature of the machine but I feel like it worked extremely well in this type of ground. During the hunt I checked several signals against other machines. Most of the times other machines either gave a broken signal or no signal at all (I tried to check deep signals when possible). Several of the signals were no problems for machines that were being run in all metal mode.

I should mention that I did not have any problem ground balancing the X70. The auto GB was easy to use and saved me a lot of time that could be used hunting instead of checking the machine. The prospecting mode use the "Trac" GB feature so all I was really doing was double checking the all metal mode from time to time.

The signal numbers stayed true once I figured out what the ground was doing to the machine and depth indication seemed to be very consistent with the true depth of the item. I never found that "one" outstanding item but as you can see quantity of items was not a problem.

The Minelab X-Terra 70 is now my primary machine.

Donnie
My Treasure Spot

Very nice report Donnie, and thanks for taking the time to write it up.

The only part that I am having a hard time figuring out is that iron would ID above lead. I would think if ground conditions push the ID's downward, then iron would wrap to +48 & maybe to +46. Then lead come in at -6 or -8. Were the iron pieces much larger and/or round???

I assume you were using the 9" MF coil, and what were the GB numbers like? What was IM set to, and dig any iron in prospecting mode?

Sorry about all the questions, your report simply has me scratching my head. But I'm excited to learn more of your experiences.

HH
BarnacleBill

The 70 is going to be a hard act to follow and has become my all time favorite detector to reach for when the day starts and one I hate to put down.
I've hunted Brandy and know how difficult that ground is, unfortunately I wasn't at your hunt :lol: and was pounding away at a already hard hit Ft. Powhatan. The 70 served me well and held it's own against everything out there, no SPECIAL finds for me either but hey, we were digging relics ... some anyway :)
The prospecting mode is killer and the added depth is more than noticeable where I live too. I still like to pick up my Explorer every now and then but when I do it's quick to remind how heavy it is over the 70 and to be honest, I'm not convinced I'm giving up any depth between the two with the 70 in prospecting mode either.
Nice Report ... Thanks
H.H.
Mike

Hard for me to explain also but I dug many of the -6 signals and every one was iron. Various sizes. Some horseshoes, plow parts, small 1" x 1" pieces, some smaller.

I was hunting with 0 IM due to where the good stuff was hitting. The GB numbers were ranging from 12 to as much as 40...sometimes changing that much every 5 or 10 feet. I put the machine in manual GB a few times while I was walking but the change of numbers made my eyes cross and head hurt :lol: .

Yes, I did dig iron in Prospecting mode but learned what the iron signal was like as I hunting more. The switching to TC all metal mode helped out with that also.

I should have mentioned that I got the unit from JW at KellyCo. He was great in helping me get started with it.

Donnie,

You have given a great breakdown of the X-70s versitility and advantage over alot of other machines. I have dirt that behaves the same way as the dirt up there...in that it will cause units to ID things as iron. I found out with the X-70 really quick about the advantages to the prospecting mode in the bad dirt vs the coin/treasure mode.

I hunt mine with a setting of 2 on the iron mask. What that causes the machine to do is a VERY noticible null on iron. That stopped me from having to hop back and forth to the different modes. I checked it alot when I first started using it but now I'm relying on it pretty consistently. If it nulls...it's iron. If it doesn't, you better be digging. It more the less turns the unit into a meter less unit but most people are setting up the metered machines to act like non metered ones anyway and just digging signals. That's all I need for relics. But when it comes to clad coin shooting and jewelry hunting...you bet I'm going to the coin/treasure mode with ID. lol

I find experimenting with the settings and modes of the X-70 to be more of an art, rather than a science. Of course the user has to understand the reasoning behind each setting. And based on your results and report, it is obvious that you do!

Funny how the X-Terra makes us realize "too many sites and not enough time"! If I were a betting man, I would bet that you will be taking the X-70 back to all those sites you have hunted in the past. Keep us posted on your continued success. HH Randy

I ALSO WAS AT THIS HUNT AND USED THE XTERRA 50 WITH GREAT RESULTS; FOUND ALOT OF RELICS IN THAT HOT SOIL; IT WORKED VERY WELL.

thing with the numbers as Donnie did reading as iron? Did you just run in all metal? How deep did you find them? Thanks, John

hello JOHN yes the same numbers came up; i ran it in all metal did alot of ground balancing; targets average about 6 to 8 inches; worked real well in that ground