Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Revisiting the topic of small coils for REALLY trasy areas.

Chris/MA

As I mentioned in my prior post, the SEF is not quite up to the task in SUPER trashy areas (such as the nail zone right around the walls of old houses). It is, however, just fine in slightly lower trash areas.

The contenders I'm thinking of for a good high-trash coil are:
1. SEF 6x8
2. Sunray X5
3. Excelerator 6"

Any thoughts? Or better yet, comparisons from people who've used both.

I really like my 5x10 Joey coil for these areas, although I have thought about trying out the 6x8 SEF.

The Minelab 8" FBS coil works very well in the trashy sights for me.The 5" Sunray is great in very heavy trash with good depth for such a small coil,Ray.

Hey Ray, What kind of depth do you get with the SunRay - I have one of these, but have not used it yet. Thanks, Erik

and Like Ray said...the Minelab 7.5 is a sweet one too.

In all honesty...you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

I've found tons of stuff with the 6" Excelerator...Ray has found tons of stuff with the Minelab 7.5...Rich likes the Joey...James ND has found tons of stuff with the Joey...and the new 6x8 SEF coil smoked a lot of keepers out for me in the ititial test run I did with it.

It's a no lose situation for you my friend:thumbup:

With most coils it comes down to size, recovery and depth for those trashy areas. like you said thats a monster coil in heavy trash.... but you have to like a challenge. Im still surprised they havent improved the Joey and made it water proof.

I have dug pennies at 5" plus with it on my E-Trac and the seperation is phenominal if you have the patience to hunt with such a small coil,Ray.