Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reworking my large coil beach walker

D-Tex

Built thin several years back, worked alright but I just did not hunt the beach much, going to
put it back in service and take up beach hunting again. It carries a MineLab SD2200d and
it's Batt. in the ammo can, insulated to help keep the temp down from the sun and protect
it from blowing sand or other things that may be a problem. A 18" Mono that is one of the
old green ones, painted with white Krylon paint to protect it from the sun ( those coils are
on the thin side and crack very easy so I try to protect it any way I can.). Its also equipped
with a new GoPro3 for recording the hunt and or the eye candy. Added a sun shade to
help keep it not only me but the camera also. The ice chest is a 32 qt. job to keep my
drinks and lunch cool. It will also have a GPS mounted next to the camera to keep a track
log and finds waypoint if wanted. A trash finds bag and room for my shovel ( you really
do need one because this thing can and will find stuff down 2 1/2 ft or more ) . Also
equipped with my cell phone and just in case there's a S&W stainless J-frame that will
be ready to reward who ever with Hydro Shocks should the need arise. Now some may
ask why something like that would be on this kind of rig and/or where will I be hunting a
beach that you would want it. I will be using it on South Padre Island all the way from
the mouth of the Rio Grande, South as far as the border and North 28 miles to the
Mansfield Jetty's. Of course I won't be doing this all at one time, but as I can. Due to
the remoteness of those areas it is wise to be prepared for most anything.

OK. Have fun with it. Maybe replace the sun screen top with solar panels to recharge your detector. Maybe bigger ballon tires to push it over the dry sand instead of through it. Don't forget to take the GoPro off if you have to take a visit to the bathroom or weeds.

But where's the big screen TV and recliner?

Just want to say Hello Ozark! You were right!

Finderskeeper said:
Maybe bigger ballon tires to push it over the dry sand instead of through it.

I was having exactly the same thought on the tires.

Good luck to you with the beach walker!
tvr

I like it! Do you walk in a straight line or swing the coil from side to side? Looking forward to a video...Syd

Finderskeeper; With the size of the batteries 6.5 volt gel cell, solar would take to long , better to just swap
to other one. Would love to go to balloon tires but have not found what I want yet.
Who needs a TV on the beach with all the eye candy that's there in living color !!!!!!!!!!

SydBC; I walk both ways, don't make much difference, can still cover a lot of ground in a day.
I try not to go to fast because I'm hunting the deep stuff, would rather hunt 50 yd.s
water's edge to high tide line than try to cover 500 fast and miss the good deep stuff
( not really interested in clad and/or other yesterday's toy cars. ). Planning on making
a trip in the middle of this month unless something happens to change the time frame.
GoPro is brand new so don't know how that part will go, but will try to get enough to
be of interest.

Don't spend too much time looking at all that Eye Candy as it will distract you from you goal.

I like it! Hmmm, IDEA!

I may build one! I will get a team of small dogs to pull it! Like the little castaways at the animal shelter that are due for a killing anyway? Just stop in a pick up a six pack of them! I'm sure they would prefer hanging out with me at the beach than the alternative! Small dogs can really pull, they are cute as buttons, dont make such a huge mess, easier to control, and real Chick magnets! :thumbup: a win-win for everybody!

Then, I could sit on top of the cooler, in style and comfort! Riding around the beach, metal detecting and drinking all day long! The Perfect Life! Like some sort of confused Iditarod participant, or a seriously down graded version of Beach Santa in a PVC sleigh!...

Maybe hang a sign off the back asking for donations to help a poor old bum riding around on a PVC cart to help feed his dogs! Those soft hearted beach bunnies eat that stuff up like applebutter! The entertainment value alone is worth a few dollars! Better yet, sell the beer out of the cooler! And maybe even the dogs so I dont have to feed them or even take them home! I can go and get a new team when I am ready to go again! By gosh, I just think I figured out my retirement strategy!:please:

Wait, this is just stupid and crazy!...sorry about that, D-Tex, your rig should work just fine.:thumbup:.. Upon further reflection, my idea of a PVC detecting dogsled is no good....I dont have an alcohol sellers license..and a PVC Chariot looking thing pulled by a brace of Vietnamese potbelly pigs would look way more stylish, especially if a guy threw in some flames in the paint job!..:rofl:.
Mud.