Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rhode Island Ghost Town Hunt

madaboutmike

Last summer, while my Sov. Elite was in the shop, I purchased a new MXT with 6"DD coil, I explored an area previously described by old timers as a boxing camp. I wrote about this last summer and in the interim, finally have been able to define boundaries. The camp was more extensive than previously imagined. It held permanent structures as evidenced by one intact fieplace and chimney, a few wooden foundations and a picnic area set on a concrete platform. I also located water sources as well as a few outdoor cook areas complete with clay chimney flue pipes. The area was so overgrown that only after fall set in was I able to get in. Last week, was able to get a better site definition and even located depressions that may indicate a 'two holer' privey. Because vegetation is still sparce, I located a previously undiscovered shed with roof somewhat intact about 200 yards from vantage point. I'll need my machete to cut a way in. Am in process of staging tools and a stash of bottled water. The last search almost killed me because I had to scale a verticle rock cropping, negotiating handholds with one arm and hefting MXT with the other.

First hunt centered on removing surface debris 1-3" under the surface. All debris has been placed on clear ground - found one Billy Beer can and a Navy spoon. I'm using a long handled rake with gardening tongs - why dig when cans can be raked up. Although I've located nothing honorable, am convinced something must be there. Area may have been developed over a period of years then abandoned. Lots of evidence of brush fires.

Area is highly mineralized and there's lots of pure white quartz. Some of the rocks among the glacial remains are quite large and streaked with ferrous oxydation. Am wondering if quartz will interfere with magnetic fields generated by search coils and if so, how does one overcome this problem.

Further in the woods are very symetrical and well preserved stone walls defining old pastures. Am also wondering if I should give up on the camp area and instead concentrate on the walls.

At present, I'm using a smaller coil until my grid areas are clear, then I'll use a bigger one. I'd appreciate any info. from someone a lot smarter and more experianced in this area of MDing. mike

Sounds like you are doing a pretty good job. I just wish I was there to help you out. Good luck. HH Dennis in Idaho

If I had an old site across the street from my house I might put the effort into the site. That would be because I could hunt it for an hour or two when I ever I had a chance. I remember you reporting about this site before. I don

Mike, #1: I'm hoping you have permission to hunt this property. #2: You sound like you're doing all the right things. If you have a small coil for your machine, use it and go SLOW. SLOW is the key word. #3: I'm jealous!!!! #4: When you do find items, please share them so we can ooh and aw over them. Thanks so much and HH to all, Nancy

Hi Nancy,
I'm on public ground - a town resevoir watershed with no restrictions. Called town hall and asked if there were any MD ordinances. Guess it's the kind of thing that doesn't come up because in RI, everyone else is down at the beach.

Last summer previous to finding camp, I located a dump I later learned was 100 yards away from site against a rodk face. Found a lot of relatively moderen stuff but, I remember the day when I was a kid and we took garbage to the town dump. This dump probably became home to the remnants of the camp and while the road was accessable, the locals tossed their old toilets too. Had to climb the rocks because although there are paths, all are overgrown and only from that vantage point was I able to identify part of the area. From the paths, undergrowth was so thick I couldn't see in. From the dump, I found a few good Heinz bottles and a few soda bottles, $.02 deposit. There's an old car there but everything is stripped. The tar path leading into the area is blocked off from the road but from my older cousin's accounting, it used to be a lovers lane, which means the area had been abandoned in the 50's although I know it was being used for various reasons in the 20's. mike

Sounds like you're good to go Mike. Go get em' and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you! HH to all, Nancy