Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Riddle me this....What does 6, 15, 19, 27, 57 have in common?

Mike Hillis

What does 6, 15, 19, 27, 57 have in common?

Answer: These are the five freqency responses of a US modern nickle on the V3 using the 9.5" concentric coil. Yes, your three frequency detector is actually a 5 frequency detector on a US nickel.

HH
Mike

2.5 kHz non-normalized = 6
2.5 kHz normalized = 15
7.5 kHz non-normalized = 27
7.5 kHz normalized = 19
22.5 kHz non-nomralized = 57
22.5 kHz normalized = 19

Good information to acquire when you need to shrink or expand your VDI range. Watch out though. It changes based upon the coil in use. For instance, the 6x10 DD can't get to a Nickel ID in 2.5 kHz non-normalized. The highest VDI it can obtain is a 5, which is a high foil TID.

This applies to the V3. Don't know how it will apply to the V3i.

HH
Mike

Normalized 15-19 isn't bad depending on whether this was air or ground testing.

This came about by me asing a question of myself, "Do I need fine Target ID (TID) resolution all the time?" My answer is, "No, I don't need fine TID resolution all the time." In fact I have found that, unless my trash content requires a higher TID resolution, a low TID resolution is more desirable. I personally find I like the lower resolution better in low trash sites. So I've been messing around with my V3 to see how I can obtain and use a lower TID resolution to aid my gold jewelry hunting. And even more specifically I'm looking at what specific benefits I can get out of hunting gold jewelry in 2.5 kHz in high alum trash sites.

I love the ability of switching frequency on the fly with the V3. I'm zooming my TID resolution in for better TID separation, or I'm zooming out to condense it, or I'm comparing results in three frequency and it literally takes just a few clicks to do it. Enter, Zoom, scroll scroll scroll, maybe another Enter and a trigger pull and I'm looking at a signal a whole new way. Better yet, once I'm ground balanced in three frequency mode I'm ground balanced in all frequencies. I don't have to stop and re-ground balance every time I change my frequency. I can if I want to with a quick enter/trigger and TWO coil bobs, but I don't have to, and the detector doesn't make me. I love that. I love that so much that I have quit looking at other units that require a coil change to change operating frequency.

Its like texting. The more you text the better and faster you get with it. Changing settings on the V3 is the same way. The more you do it and get comfortable with it the easier and faster you get with it. Its great.

HH
Mike

Hi Vito

I'm kind of a private person. You'll forgive if I don't answer directly.

HH
Mike

Mike, thanks for the tips. The really cool observation, for me anyway, is that the V3i is already "pre"-balanced in each of the three single frequency modes if you've already balanced it in three-frequency mode. I guess then after checking in a single frequency, you can go right back to three freq and it's already balanced. That's a great feature to know about and something *not* in the manual. So thanks!

Actually there are not 5 frequencies.... it is just that the VDI at the different frequencies is read differently when normalized vs non normalized.
Whites chose to normalize the VDI across all frequencies to that of the 6.59 kHz machines of the past because everybody was already familiar with that.
Now with that said... By using the non-normalized VDI settings it can help with the identification of good vs trash targets because of the widening (is that a word?) of the VDI .
Hope that made sense......:detecting:

Johnedoe, you are absolutely correct.,

A three frequency detector that can displays result in 4 frequencies when you count the 6.6 kHz normalization. When you factor in that each of the frequencies has a target that we use to identifiy it you can also home in on that target's normalization shift like we see with the nickel at 2.5 kHz.

So with that in mind, I still can see a nickel's response at 5 different frequency levels even though it is only operating in 3 and capable of displaying 4.

HH
Mike

So now breakout the pull tabs, pieces of tinfoil, rings, and 22kh unnormalized and be prepared to get blown away. HH My friend Jerry aka Tinfoil

There is a section in "The Book of Jack" that talks about normalization and Non-Normalization that is pretty descriptive and how you can use it to advantage for gold jewelry hunting.....

Could not find the down load. Got the advanced download??????????? Treasure net don't have it. Just talks about it. HH Jerry aka Tinfoil

What download are you referring to?