Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Riffles versus expanded metal for sluice-box?

Walknstik

I plan on classifying my material down to at least 1/4" so would expanded metal work as well as small riffles or should I use both? The area will also more than likely be heavy with black sands so I was thinking of running miners moss over some vortex to keep from loading up mat with black sand quickly. My understanding is that larger size material needs riffles where smaller classified material may not? I haven't done much sluicing in the past so please correct me if my thinking is not correct!

Texadillo check out this link. Every thing you should wan to know about dredge setup

http://www.goldgold.com/tag/gold-recovery

Thanks for the link Yankee Joe :thumbup:...rainy day here so this will be some good reading. Have a nice Memorial Day!

I classify down to 1/4" also and ran with the expanded over moss with success for our tiny flake stuff...... BUT then I bought a drop riffle sluice (angus mackirk) and highly doubt I'll ever go back to a Hungarian type system.........jmo for what little I do. Something to think about.............

oneguy
What Angus Mackirk sluice do you recommend? I just bought the recon 2 but haven't had a chance to use it.

I have the AM Foreman. I "think" the Recon is that longer narrower one??? Anyways....I find the AM sluices are very forgiving as far as setting up and tolerate different flow(s) pretty good and cleanups are so fast compared to pulling riffles, expanded metal, and moss, etc.. out and washing...a real time saver! Combine what I just said with the fact that the drop riffles also do a great job of catching the fines it just makes the AM drop riffle sluices a win win imho.... I no longer sluice much but will never part with my AM sluice..... Get out there and play with your Recon...you'll love it!!!