Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring #21on the year

Ytcoinshooter

The snow didn't amount to anything and the ground is a long way from freezing so I spent some time coin hunting in the 40 degree weather. No place special, a park where I see signs I'm not the only one hunting. I've had some nice finds there this year, a few silvers incl. a Franklin half and several pieces of Sterling jewelry. Another Sterling came up today with a few clad and an amusement token from a place that is now six flags New England. The old place, Riverside Park was a classic amusment park complete with short track modifieds, demolition derby and more.
HH - Bruce

21 rings ?? FYI, Freezing soil will split bands that are wide and will pop out the stone too. Jabbo

You're beating me 21 to 4 if your counting junk rigs. If you're counting silver and gold its 21 to 0 .. LOL

hatpin said:
You're beating me 21 to 4 if your counting junk rigs. If you're counting silver and gold its 21 to 0 .. LOL
It's the time of year I start to look back and total up the finds. I took this picture of my jewelry finds 2014 before I went out detecting yesterday and found the ring I posted here. There are 5 Junkers, the row that starts with the plated spoon ring - that one and the next 2 are junk and there are 2 other junk rings inot in any row. The 9 gold rings in the row just above the silver silver rope chain falls short of last years 12 gold. I'm primarily a Coinshooter but do a little water hunting and exploit any swimming area I see and can get to that has been lowered on a lake. I have a friends in my club that find upward of 50 or more gold rings in a detecting year.
HH - Bruce
Ps the bottom row in the frame are junk medals - all ones above incl the big crucifix are silver.

Dang thats a nice collection there!!!:thumbup: You must be doing something right!!!

Wow Bruce you have quite the collection and congratulations on your latest ring!

You have a nice pile of treasures there. You had a good season... KEN

metalfun said:
Great Job!!!:jump: What kind of detector do you use?
I was using my V3i & 10x12" SEF coil for this hunt. I have 8 different detectors and usually bring both the V3i and ATPro when I go out for a whole day, those two get the most use. I also like the Sovereign GT but use it for beach sweeping and rechecking productive land sites to see if I missed anything.
HH - Bruce

Nice pile of loot. One of these days I'm going to keep my finds all together. This year has been good to me in the jewlery dept. not so good in the coins other than clad. My best find was a 22k necklace that weighed in at 20.4 grams. However the year in not over until its over.

Grunter said:
Nice pile of loot. One of these days I'm going to keep my finds all together. This year has been good to me in the jewlery dept. not so good in the coins other than clad. My best find was a 22k necklace that weighed in at 20.4 grams. However the year in not over until its over.
That frame of jewelry finds is just 2014. What I began doing again is keeping a log of my finds by hunts. Recording items soon after I clean them and creating a reference I can look back on. Relying on memory is fails me too often. Each month I start with an empty container that I add to as the month progresses. When it's time for our club meeting I take the container to the meeting for the find of the month contest and to share the fun viewing each other's finds. After that the finds get placed in a larger compartmental container that is used for the year.
HH - Bruce

bad boy said:
Bruce, Way to go. I was wondering , how much time do you put in when you get out??
How much time I put in depends on personal variables...that we all have in our lives. I have more time now because I retired 2 years ago 2 months before my 56th b'day. Travel time and weather aside I like to have at least 3 hours for my turf hunts so I don't feel rushed. I prefer packing a lunch and going all day with a hunting partner and a plan - specific sites or door knocking. Those times shared with another hunter are most memorable.
My in the water hunts typically last about 4 hours. Two hours before low tide to two after. I used to go longer but it meant fouling my wet suit and urine stink is too much work to get out of neoprene - sorry if that's TMI but it's the reality of being out there. Waders are of course a different deal and since I'm in my clothes underneath I personal comfort is easier to address.
Years ago some of my detecting buddies tagged me with the nickname "Maniac" because I never knew when to stop:detecting:. Two hip replacements :)thumbup:) and a long complicated illness due to a nearly terminal event with a perforated colon :)thumbdown:) haven't slowed me down very much. The bionic hips have allowed me to hike and be on my feet all day with no hip discomfort at all.
HH - Bruce

Ha! I got a wetsuit that has a two way front zipper! It comes in very much handy!:thumbup: As far as the chest waders, a guy has to think ahead for that one and not drink too much coffee...or snuggle up tight to a docked boat to roll them down expeditiously and casually...! Good deal on those hips, and the early retirement!...glad its worked out for you well...you keep it up here Brother!:clapping:
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Ha! I got a wetsuit that has a two way front zipper! It comes in very much handy!:thumbup: As far as the chest waders, a guy has to think ahead for that one and not drink too much coffee...or snuggle up tight to a docked boat to roll them down expeditiously and casually...! Good deal on those hips, and the early retirement!...glad its worked out for you well...you keep it up here Brother!:clapping:
Mud
Okay you know what my next internet search is..."wetsuit that has a two way front zipper"!!! Sounds like the relief I need p:rofl:! I've got to take a look at that. Been buying my new ones at a discount store for $20. Ever since I ditched my stinky old style two pice Lloyd Bridges suit, the kind with the top piece that goes between the legs from the rear and has 4 buckles in front. Well I've been good trying not to foul my newest ones up. Detecting here is still fine on land with shady north facing slopes the only places I've cut into ground frost. No snow but crazy temperature fluctuations from stupidly cold and windy to nice (above 40 no wind) for detecting...60 predicted here for a rainy Monday with Tuesday detecting looking good at 50 and dry. Stepson itching to get out after I found a little more gold at the mostly drained lake. Because targets have gotten scarce at the old swim area we Hope to be able to walk out further in the muck as it should be firmer now.
HH - Bruce

Most of the jewelry came from salt and fresh water sites. It's a mix of wading and hitting drained lakes. Only the last ring and a couple of pieces of silver jewelry were turf finds. BTW - I'm with mudpuppy re gold chains. You've got go back over with a sensitive VLF after hitting a place with the Excal. I love my modified Excal 2 but the are weak on thin gold chains. If the place is drained I nail it with the V3i and ATPro. If it's a water hunt I go back in with the ATP. I thnk my CZ21 is better on chains than my Excal but it too can miss some. That's the trade off to be able to hunt in saltwater without falsing.
HH - Bruce

You're probably right Bruce....but I don't have a VLF machine...just a Etrac, a Excal, and a CTX.....But I will return next summer for sure.....There is got to be a few more rings out there.