Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring Finders????????

101numlock

Considering joining ringfinders.com anyone on here a member or heard anything about them? Im posting this in two other forums too.

Nope... tried returning rings in the past but after having the door slammed in my face, never again... they lose it, I find it, its mine...

I edited this to add if someone requests me to look for something then sure I'll look for it and return it but honestly I didn't buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment to look for change.. to each their own though....

i'm with u PI if someone on the beach asks me for help and they can describe the ring and it fit her/his finger i don't mind returning it like i have done in the past but the rest i'm sorry they are mine

tomcatpl said:
i'm with u PI if someone on the beach asks me for help and they can describe the ring and it fit her/his finger i don't mind returning it like i have done in the past but the rest i'm sorry they are mine

Spoken like a true pirate! ;) :beers:

I have returned two class rings and two Sterling ID bracelets in my 3 years of water detecting. Each time it was special and I'm glad I was able to find the ownes. On the most part though like Craig said, if I find it. it is mine. I got $100 from White for each of the stories so I think that makes me even. Good Luck, Jim

Hi tom cat i dont know about if they fit stuff all the real good rings FIT MY WIFE and i dont see them again,HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.TERRY IN OZ

My buddy found a class ring on his property and was able to locate the owner who was elderly. He sent it to him and never even got a thank you letter. I am with you Pl

I have been metal detecting 42 years and in all those years I have found and returned or attempted to return many class rings. Some I was happy I was able to return. Some not so happy.

The first ring was a ladies class ring that turned out the girl was deceased, killed in a car accident and the family was more then happy to have the memento returned.

In another case I found a girls class ring in the water and it was lost the same year it was found. We were able to contact her and I told her I had found her ring and she could pick it up at my home. She wanted me to bring it to her 15 miles away. I told her if she wanted it I would be home other wise I would keep it. She showed up an hour latter put her car window down about one inch and demanded her ring. I retrieved the ring and slid it through the small opening. She closed her window backed out of my drive and left. Not even so much as a thank you..

The last one I'll tell you about was even better, while metal detecting our town court house lawn I found a mans class ring, it had been lost a year or so as it was down in the roots. Two days later this gal pulls into my drive and demands I return her boy friends ring or she was going to have me arrested for stealing it. I don't even know how she knew I had it. I told my wife to call the county sheriffs office as I had found it on county property. When the sheriffs deputy arrived I handed him the ring told him the circumstances behind finding the ring and then told him what the gal had said. I asked him to have her describe the ring, if she could he was to give it to her, if not I wanted her off my property or he could arrest her for trespassing. She could not describe the ring to the officers liking so he told her to leave. Never heard from her again.

Returning rings are a tough call, but I still try if I can locate the owner. As one of the posters said to each his own. Rick "IL

Sad stories you shared... people today... I'll leave it at that...

I was all for returning school rings... found a local 1982 school ring, contacted the school, they were no help... contacted the Board of Ed they were very helpful giving me the name, address... I went to the house with the ring and they told me to keep it and slammed the door in my face... never again... I wasted 2 weeks searching for her... I don't need nor want karma... I'm a good enough hunter without it... like I said in my other post... I'm not looking for coins... I am looking for gold... if people don't want to lose it then they shouldn't wear it to the beach but if they do...I'm going to have my share of it :)

I'm a noob, I found two class rings last summer, returned both, not a thank you or a dollar from either one...one was a fresh drop at the beach, the other 1997 in center field...funny thing though, on the fresh drop, we were having a garage sale the day the girl came to get it, and there were several people there, well, one was a reporter from the local paper, and she wrote a nice article as I tried to explain metal detecting and the beauty of learning the stories behind our finds...how we are the "finders of lost things" the excersize, history, we come in contact with...Some guy called me a few days after the article came out, and showed up at my house, and asked more questions about why did I return the ring...then he gave me a really great probe that he manufactures, a long one that a cache hunter would use, or a septic tank guy, he invited me to visit his shop, I did, and we have been in contact a few times since..I guess it made an impression on him that someone would do something like that, so it was probably worth the measely 10k melt value to restore somebodies faith in Humans...this was just my experience, and had that complete stranger not taken the time to show some gratitude, both my ring return experiences would have left me with an awful feeling of being abused. Anyway, I hope that article opens some doors for some of us in the future.

I am a member of TheRingFinders it is a totally different situation than any described in this post. The person who lost an item contacts you and asks for your help. Most of the members have what is refered to as a call out fee. generally enough to cover the cost of fuel. In my case and (most others also do this) if the item is found the owner may pay what ever they feel is a fair fee. I have been a member for about 1/2 a year and have had 2 calls both at the opposite side of the state from me. And after a few questions it was determined that they really didn't know exactly where the item had been lost. In both of those cases I tried to get them hooked up with a local club, but never heard anything else.

Part of my thinking was that it could open up some otherwise unaccessable areas to me. I have a friend in our local club who was asked to search for a lost wedding band, they knew exactly where they had lost it in front of their cottage on a local lake. He met the owner, got in the water and within 5 minutes found the ring exactly where they thought it would be. The owners were delighted to have the ring back gave him a fair reward and best of all gave him permission to hunt the remainder of their property. With in minutes the neighbors had heard of the rings return and he was given permission to hunt in front of their property as well. When it was all said and done my buddy made several nice finds, gave the hobbie a great bit of publicity and didn't have to pay for his fuel to make the 50 mile round trip.

Seems like a win win situation to me.

Steve :)

Returning a ring after being asked to locate it is rewarding, which I have done when asked, but I returned one last year on Siesta Beach that I think was lost by someone other than the drunk kid who asked me to look for it. He told me he had lost his girlfriend's engagement ring and he knew where to look, but I think he had seen someone else looking for it the day before. It was where he said it was and when I got it in my hand, he grabbed it and said that it was the one and walked away. He walked back to a group of four other guys and no girls were present so I question his story. Just last week at the same beach I got a signal and just as I bent over to retrieve it a gal asked if I had found her silver wedding ring. I picked it up and it was a silver band , she took it out of my hand and said " hey that is a good machine you have there" and walked away with no other comment. Not sure if the behavior is typical of the area or not!
Trying to find the owner of a long lost ring has not been all that positive for me either. I did have one very pleasant experience, when I found a 1931 class ring in a friend's farm field. It turned out that it was his Mother's ring which had been lost by her fiance during the summer of 1936. It was broken so I had it repaired and returned it to her just before her 88th birthday. I found and returned it in July of 2004, so it had been lost for 68 years and returned to it's original owner. She had worked on the farm all summer to save up the $12.00 that the ring cost. She had tears in her eyes as I returned it and she offered to give me a reward, which I refused. Just being able to see her joy, was worth everything.
On the other side I have returned rings after I spent time and expense of mailing requests to schools and mailing the ring to the owner and not receiving confirmation of receipt or thank you.
I found a 1987 UNC basketball championship ring in the Bahamas with his name on the inside and outside. My daughter had graduated from UNC and found that the owner was now the marketing manager for the Houston Rockets. He said that Michael Jordan had been on that team and he would get his autograph for us, since they were going to play Jordan's team the next week. He also said he had ordered Houston Rocket material for me. He got his ring back but we never received anything. I have wanted to try and contact Michael Jordan with the story and see if I could get his autograph on my own, but don't figure that would work either. If locating the owner is easy I will attempt returning a ring, otherwise, finders keepers. Lloyd