Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring Hunting

gmanlight

I read a post by Lowboy were he said he would dig IDs between 43 and 56 with his G2
for two hours till he got tired. He found 3 diamond rings in one month. Not to shabby.
Maybe he will chime in on this.

It does take a lot of digging, but it pays off sometime. I found this 10k ring in a park a few days ago. It read 56.

All I ever get between 45 - 56 is a bunch of foil or tabs without the rings. I still keep trying though. After I wear myself out digging, I switch over to cruise for silver for awhile.

The numbers Lowboy is suggesting is right where I would dig. But the key is not to start digging in any park or where ever you happened to be. The trick is to go to a location where gold rings are most likely to be lost. The grassy area or sand which ever it happens to be of a swimming area where the area is roped off for swimming. Where people throw their blankets and such. Then because of the number of tabs is when I get selective using the numbers like Lowboy suggested.....Jack

I have found rings and other jewelry (silver or gold) will pretty much lock on to a VDI. The audio seems a lot sharper on a good piece of metal. Tabs and other junk will jump around quite a bit, especially if you change angles or check with the tip of the coil. But being a human I can't tell you how many times I've jumped to conclusions and dug without checking from other angles only to dig junk. I also play the prediction game to see if I'm reading the detector accurately.

Jimbog --

I FULLY agree with your post above, but with ONE important caveat, that I think newer detectorists/users of this machine may want to keep in mind. That caveat is, when you have co-located targets. What I mean is, in my test garden, I buried a couple of different coins with a nail adjacent to, but one inch to the side, of the coin; I also buried a couple of other coins with a nail lying directly on top of the coin. One these targets, the VDI is ALSO jumpy. From one angle (sweeping along the length of the nail), the VDI is USUALLY an iron VDI. When sweeping ACROSS the nail, the VDI is usually "coin," but slightly lower than you would expect. However, sweeping at other angles, not directly across or along the nail, you get "jumpy" VDI -- very similar to what a junk target would look like.

My only point is, while a "very jumpy" VDI is MOST OFTEN junk, just as Jimbog described, it's not ALWAYS the case... :)

Steve