Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring ID's in gold range but not marked

Mr. Beard

Dug two rings from a tot lot that IDs in the gold range on all my 4 detectors. The rings are NOT marked with any gold content. One has "SETA" marked on the inside band and the other is stamped "GERMANY".
One is a faded goldish color and the other looks like it might be white gold???? Both rings are not soft like normal gold.... on a real gold ring it is possible to bend with little force-- these two are hard.
Is there any other metal that rings up in the gold range??

I believe seta is a company that makes jewelry. Seta corporation I think they are called.
There is actually no such thing as white gold. I found that out the hard way. Years ago we bought a my wedding band at Kay’s jewelry and it was white gold. A few years later it started turning regular gold color. I took it back and they told me that to get white gold they coat gold with rhodium. So I had to get mine re done as in time it will wear off. Since having it redone it has been white gold color every since.

Last edited:
Our white gold rings just turned 44 and still white. I’ve never heard it as “coated” and both ours marked 14k. Hmmm

Last edited:
I hope yours turns out Gold. But brace yourself, many of us have been disapointed by them being of Stainless or Tunstun steel. Even if so , couple of good finds.

That's interesting to us because ours was bought as white gold and marked as 14k. They never changed to yellow and look just as good today as they did 46 years ago. I sometimes wondered if they were platinum.

Titanium, platinum, nickel silver, (German silver), all can come in at mid tone gold numbers among others.
Nickel silver is an alloy that has no actual silver but might look a bit like silver, it reacts badly with the soil, however, and doesn't come up out of the ground clean like most silver.

White gold is usually more than just rhodium plated, it is gold alloyed with another whitish metal to make it harder and can look more silver-like even before it is rhodium plated.
If it is alloyed with silver it might come in like regular yellow gold or higher, if nickel is used instead it usually comes in way lower and I know this because I have dug both kinds.
Below are two popular style almost identical gold and diamond channel wedding rings I have found...I call them twin sons of different mothers which is also he title of a great musical album.
The yellow gold on the right is 10k and came in as a high nickel signal, actually a 35 which is where most sta-tabs come in for me.
The white gold on the left is also 10k but it is bigger, thicker and several grams heavier and yet still came in lower at the exact same number as a foil condiment package.
Both were 10k so despite any alloys they still had the same gold purity.
Both were super solid signals so they each got dug even though they each pretended to be trash but in different areas.

photostudio_1607865067353.jpg

Last edited:
Dug two rings from a tot lot that IDs in the gold range on all my 4 detectors. The rings are NOT marked with any gold content. One has "SETA" marked on the inside band and the other is stamped "GERMANY".
One is a faded goldish color and the other looks like it might be white gold???? Both rings are not soft like normal gold.... on a real gold ring it is possible to bend with little force-- these two are hard.
Is there any other metal that rings up in the gold range??
Lots of different targets can give a gold range signal depending on depth,orientation,soil conditions etc.........vdi's just aren't that accurate in reality.

An acid testing kit is a must for every serious metal detectorist. They are inexpensive (Ebay) and simple to use. Even Jewellers and pawn shops test most every pieces of jewellry before buying articles to make sure.

If they're from Germany they will have odd carat grades like 8ct. A lot of items and junk come up in the gold range!