Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rock Identification

DitchDigger

New to the group I thought I'd give it a try.

I've had this specific rock in my possession for probably 40 years (I'm 50) and I've never had it identified.

I brought it to work to see if my amateur geologist friend could identify it, but he only has a couple theories. In fact he ground down and polished the bottom to reveal some interesting rings.

I thought I'd try posting it to a group like this to see if anyone else can grant me some clarity.

Since it's been many years since I found this particular rock, I have no idea where I might have picked it up. I'm fairly sure I did NOT buy it at a gift shop but rather found it on the ground. I'm guessing I may have found it in California, Utah, Nevada or possibly Colorado. I just don't recall. Either way it's a mystery.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

The rock in the photos is approximately 1"x1"x.5"

I have more detailed photos, but their file size is too large for this forum. I can email upon request.

Thank you for your time.

Please see attached photos.

Calcite speleothem.
http://www.spiritrockshop.com/images/26.99-1a.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speleothem

Do some hardness testing.
See Moh's scale if you aren't familiar with it.