Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rock mineral identification Pgm?

kellygirl43

I need help identifying what I believe to be platinum group metal minerals or elements. A magnet will not stick. Heated a small piece with acetylene oxygen and the iron plate my specimen was on melted first. I knocked the piece into a concrete floor as I continues to heat, but had to stop due to the concrete floor cracking and popping. It barley melted the top of my specimen.
I think it looks like braggite and sperrylite. What do I know though? So I'm going to post some pics of it. It was originally one brick, until I hit it with split ax. Now its in 4 pieces. Here are some pics of different sides and views of it. It will only let me upload 6. I included a pic of the piece I tried melting with acetylene.
If this is what I believe it to be, I need to turn it into cash but cannot refine it myself. Please help!

I've seen a blue sheen like that on basalt lava flows around Craters of the Moon National Monument. The geologists say it's titanium dioxide.
Jim

If it's a thin layer of manganese, a magnet wouldn't stick. I'd be surprised if that layer is more than skin deep. It's hard to tell from pics, but looks like a hunk of igneous rock with a thin layer of metal on the outside.
Jim

Provenance matters. Without it, all you will get is guesswork.

I recommend that you take it to your local college geology dept and ask there. Internet ID's are not trustworthy unless its obvious.

Ok and Jim, no the shiny is all the way threw. K thought it was just on the outside as well, until I hkt it with a split ax.

I remembered that I have a similar piece. Mine was found in the vicinity of an old railroad maintenance shop, way out in the desert, and long since abandoned. The rock is about 2" in diameter, and doesn't have the sheen yours does. When checked at a local scarp yard with an XRF gun it showed it to be stainless steel. It had about a 15% nickel content as I recall. I have no idea if it had anything to do with the railroad. I thought it might have come from the firebox of an old steam locomotive. We ground aflat face to get a better reading with the XRF gun. The closeup is of a cleanly broken face.
[attachment 352657 CerroGranderock1.JPG][attachment 352658 CerroGranderock2.JPG][attachment 352659 CerroGranderockbrokenface2.jpg]

Looks to be more of a furnace product than natural. Can't tell if it's the scrap or the main product. where did it come from?