Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

rocks

old lineman

This stuff is called indian blanket jasper. It comes in quite a few other colors.

Yes, thank you. I've been playing with rocks for years, started cutting and polishing them about 9 years ago.

Old lineman, do you cut them with a diamond bladed wet saw?...such as a tile saw? and then use a rock tumbler?

I cut them with a 6 inch trim saw, you can use a tile saw for thin cuts. I sometimes hand finish the cabs if it's a special stone, with most agate I grind to the fine grind and then stick in the vibrating tumbler to finish them. I have a 10 inch saw I use to cut slabs and then trim them with the 6 inch saw. The trim saw I run in water, the 10 inch I run in oil.

The first picture is hand polished, the second the final polish tumbled, The third tumble polished obsidian(apache tears).

Nice stones and you did a really nice job too. Keep the photos coming . I have no clue about stones but I really like them.

You folks that do lapidary have WAY more patience and talent than I. Keep those pics coming.

It's knapping that tries my patience at times, you get to where you're making the finishing touches and you make a wrong chip an the piece breaks

Did you make that knife, old lineman? Are there any books or youtube vids you recommend to get a guy started?
Mud

That is some gorgeous material...and you sure did a nice job on it. We have some material Called Bruneau Jasper in southern Idaho, but I don't think it's as nice as that.
Jim

Thank you. I bought some Owyhee jasper in Quartzsite a couple years ago, it's pretty nice stuff. This stuff in the photos some of it is really hard and good to cut, but most of it won't take a polish.

I would like to learn knapping as well. I am trying to find a video that shows how to get started. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/paleomanjim#p/u/1/wyzNIa-U5Nc

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/directory#.UrX3zvRDsVU

If you're from Oregon, you have some the best knapping obsidian in the country. A lot of the Glass Butte obsidian chips really well. If I can help you let me know.

Gold Buddy and OldLineman-a great big thanks to you both! Yes, I live in Oregon old lineman. Some of the shops I have frequented have not been of much help in my quest. Glass Butte is close to where I hunt and will see what I can find. Thanks again. marv