Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rookie mistake

lumacurve

Always remember to take off your steel toed work boots before hunting after work ! The GT was going crazy I thought something was wrong with it, It wasn't until I was walking back to the car that I realized what the problem was . Lessen learned!

Good reminder.

Some guys, in particular beach hunters, will stick a nickel in the tip of their shoe so they can sweep over it to remind themself how nickel signals sound while looking for rings with their Excalibur or GT. Only thing is that IMO no more gold rings read in the nickel zone than any other zone. More read in the foil range than in the nickel or tab range combined from what our numbers scanning in over 100 random gold rings say, and these rings weren't biased by people only digging certain targets. Everything above iron was scooped by an Excal hunter water hunting over several years.

I think the reason that old saying of "dig the nickel zone to find gold rings" came about on detectors is from machines with far less resolution in the low to mid conductivity range than the 180 meter on the Sovereign. Other machines have wider nickel zones and so have more lower conductivity foil and higher conductivity tabs stuffed in the same zone or VDI # range, so of course a lot more gold rings would be in the nickel zone because it's wider.

But the tip is still a good one to say avoid higher sounding tabs when you don't have the time to scoop them for a hunt and they are all over the place, or also to hear how a round object like a nickel or a gold ring has a nice smooth round sound to them compared to some junk, especially odd shaped junk.

That is a rookie mistake...Wish I hadn't done the same thing many, many years ago.

Many don't realize that a 10 coil is a big coil and any metal near the coil will act to de-tune the detector. Many vendors of larger coils recommend that you take belt buckles off and loose change from your pockets when using there coils!
If you tune the detector correctly you can hear he threshold raise and lower near your feet from any metal on your body.
BCNJ

Been there, done that (unfortunately, more than once LOL). Artie

Thats nearly as bad as using a sunray probe and forgeting to change it back to the coil for 15-20 meters down the beach:blush::blush::rage: